Swelling after op and cannot do the exercises given me because of swelling

Posted , 12 users are following.

i only have paracetamol for pain relief and the knee is so swollen i cannot do exercises given me - i wish i not had the op

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

10 days is still early days. Once the pain relief is sorted out, you will be able to do the exercises. My knee is still very swollen after nearly four months. I wish you well.

• Posted

You are only 10 days post op. This is still very early days.

When I had my TKR 7 years ago I was told it would be about a year before I began to feel the benefits and I reckon that was about right. Sorry if this sounds a really long way off to you at the moment but better to be honest.

It was a long and painful recovery but I never got to the point where I wished I had not had the operation. It does get better with time.

Hope you are addressed when you go back to the hospital tomorrow.

I was extremely lucky and had an excellent consultant.

About 20 months ago I had an infection in the knee that was replaced.

Went back to the same consultant and again he was excellent and sorted it out.

Good luck for tomorrow. Hang in there.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah xx

• Posted

thank you for taking the time to reply - it certainly helps to hear from others who have had same problem i have an excellent consultant and hospital too take care and thank you again

• Posted

Im sorry you

too are suffering. I too had so much swelling I could barely bend my knee. I am now six months post operation still living with pain day and night but I am able to walk somewhat. I also wish I never had the surgery. I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow to try to get answers as I believe the joint is either improperly fitted or too large.

• Posted

I do not understand why I did spectacularly well after the operation for around 1 weeks, but am now struggling nearly four months in with pain and stiffness. I blamed myself for doing too much a few weeks ago, e.g., walking around seven miles in one day at the seaside. I felt better after starting to take it easy, but up and down again.

• Posted

sorry eleven weeks, not one week.

• Posted

Try some Voltaren Gel (RX in US, generic diclofenac elsewhere...check for interactions first). Best topical anti-inflammatory you can get. You can use it 4X/day...great at bedtime. Caution: Do NOT use it directly on the incision line until it is fully healed and your doc says it's OK.

We all felt the exact same way about the op in the first 12 weeks. Then things start to change gradually. Gotta give the knee TIME to heal, you have to put in the WORK, and you have to learn PATIENCE. These are your tools. The typical "full recovery" usually takes a full year with most people reporting "feeling more like themselves" around 9 months. Once you get your ROM back...

ROM Work at Home

...start the mandatory muscle rebuild...

Muscle Rebuild

...so you can walk correctly, regain your balance and are able to do stairs normally again. You can get there just like the rest of us.

Put this on your fridge...

Reality

"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

invest in a Greg ice machine can get used on ebay for $80 works wonders for me l ice 4 times a day and my swelling is way down after being 3 monthspost TKR

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.