Swelling and Stiffness symptoms?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Are the symptoms joint swelling or stiffness normally always present in AS?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes swelling and stiffness are the key features of arthritis. But you may not be able to see the swelling in the joints in your back.

• Posted

Well, you're just amazingly responsive and knowledgeable, thank you Dr Liz! I keep photographing my fingers thinking I'm seeing swelling but it's so hard to tell, they do become red and warm off and on... will swelling in the fingers be noticeable?

• Posted

Yes swelling of the fingers is visible. Fingers becoming red and warm is also a sign of inflammation. You will probably find that you cannot close your fist properly when they are swollen. This sounds like arthritis in your hands which deserves some treatment.

• Posted

I can close my hands with no problem, here's a few pics - i'm 38, my hands are just wrinkly...

imageimageimageimage

• Posted

Hi your hands dont look swollen so it may be very early stages and not too serious. The middle joints may be slightly swollen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.