Swelling following Total Knee Replacement Surgery

Posted , 39 users are following.

I am three weeks out from TKR surgery on my left knee. My surgeon assures me that swelling is completely normal following all that takes place during knee replacement surgery. I am curious to discover what others have experienced with SWELLING following surgery.

3 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes - this is perfectly normal - and goes on for some time. Ice and anti- inflammatory will help. Swelling is worse in evenings and after exercise. Drink plenty of water.

• Posted

Good tips, Caroline!

By anti-inflammatory, would that be NSaids like Ibruprophen?

I am taking Percocet and Ex. Strength Tylenol per doctor's instructions, but neither of these are anti-inflammatory, right?

What do you take?

• Posted

Cuprofen / ibroprufen - started on 4 a day and now take one at night or after exercise if swollen - ice is still the best cure!
    • Posted

Ibuprofeno does absolutely nothing for me. . .People react differently to pain killers. . . tramadol was my lifesaver!
    • Posted

The ICE is good! Our ice maker cannot keep up with my knee, however, so I'm back to peas, broccoli, and green beans!!!

I have always been a big water drinker.

Do you take aspirin?

• Posted

I had TKR 3 years ago so am trying to remember back that far!!

I think basically that I had swelling.

The swelling is what makes the bending difficult it is not just the pain.

However, it does get better I promise.

Keep exercisng and you will get there in time.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks, Sarah!

It is very helpful to hear that swelling isn't FOREVER!

I know that swelling is our body's way of putting a kind of protective bubble wrap on owie-achy parts. While the body is TRYING to heal, there are owie-achy parts all over the place!

I guess if you think about it, swelling is a protector which reminds us to only go so far...for the moment.

I will TRY to be patient!

Thank you!

• Posted

swelling pretty bad for about twelve weeks, gradually diminishing.  I didn't take anti inflammatories as I have liver problems, so perhaps those would help.  Bottom half of the leg and foot swollen so much I couldn't move the foot for about ten days.  The calf was so swollen it was hard to touch, like a balloon blown up  . . Even now after six months if I hae to stand for long it tends to get hot and swell up again, but nothing like before,  .  
    • Posted

Awwww! So sorry to hear of your swelling issues!

That was a very long time to have to endure such terrible swelling!

What does your doctor/ surgeon have to say about this?

What do you do when you need to wear shoes? I have been going barefoot except for VERY BRIEF times when I MUST put on something to wear for a doctor's appointment.

Is your pain level getting any lower?

• Posted

I wonder if taking water tablets might help us get our swelling down  - mine is in my calf / ankle and foot  - I am now 5 weeks following TKR surgery.  - Wearing sandals as I can't get my shoe on.  - I put my foot up  - but quite honestly it doesn't seem to make any difference.

• Posted

Oh, I surely can relate to having to wear sandals because NO OTHER SHOES will fit! I remember going to a shoe store for SOME foot covering and discovering that the ONLY choice I had was a MEN'S Nike slide with a velcro flap across the front!

Swelling of my feet really HURT!😵

I never took any water pills. The Ibuprofen DID help because it is an anti-inflammatory.

• Posted

I agree with what others have posted - it is normal and lasts quite a long time. Mine is still somewhat swollen after 7 weeks but isn't sore or hot any more. Icing elevation daily are they key. Someone mentioned what sounds like the "ice machine" my insurance paid for here in the US which circulates iced water through a sleeve. You can leave it on a long time even at night as the ice isn't on your skin. If it isn't bothering you very much just do ice packs.
    • Posted

I have been doing ice packs wrapped in bath towels. Frozen peas are my under- the- leg ice pack of choice!

What about icing FEET?

Do you think putting my feet in cold water might help?

• Posted

Have you tried compression bandages?  That's what worked for my foot and calf - elastic bandages firmly wrapped from the toe to the knee, left on for maybe an hour at a time while elevating the leg. I was able to make a big difference over a couple of days at about the stage you are now.
    • Posted

Thank you for you suggestion but my leg doesn't hurt and I am working with dirt all day and wearing shorts and don't want to attract too much attention. Having suffered bad varicose veins during my six pregnancies I am not keen to revert to elastic stockings.

I just commented because swelling doesn't always mean something is wrong. 

• Posted

I HAVE gone back to the actual bandages that they gave me after surgery, and YES, I have achieved MUCH RELIEF from them recently!

I wrapped mine from foot to above my knee like my original bandage was.

I tried the compression SOCKS which were the pair they gave me to put on before surgery...right one only, that is. I wore both for about 8 hours. I could especially feel relief in my FEET!

Today I go to my first OUTPATIENT PT. I have been doing home care since 7/1.

I want to get THEIR take on it since they will be my main connection besides my surgeon during this event.

I think your suggestion is a good one!

• Posted

Not put my feet in cold water - but after I have used my bag of frozen peas  - in a pillow case on my knee - I then put them across my ankle & foot to try to ice that swollen area.

• Posted

Ice never did much to help my swelling. Try elevating your legs way above your head. Sit on the top area of your bed, use a looped belt to help swing your leg so that it aligns with the headboard going straight up. I think you will notice relief.

Time helps, too.

I hope you get relief very soon!

In the meantime try those thigh-high compression stockings. They gave me some relief when I couldn't elevate my legs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.