Swelling following Total Knee Replacement Surgery

Posted , 39 users are following.

I am three weeks out from TKR surgery on my left knee. My surgeon assures me that swelling is completely normal following all that takes place during knee replacement surgery. I am curious to discover what others have experienced with SWELLING following surgery.

3 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Five years after my right TKR my leg is still swollen 50%more than left leg (which is waiting for its TKR.  in my nativity I thought this was normal LOL Boy do Ilearn things on this forum!
    • Posted

Wow! Maybe it just is needing a lot more time to heal completely.

I will be getting my right knee done in a few months if all goes well with #1.

My right (non-surgical leg) always hurts and it is swelling just to get attention, I'm SURE!

What do you think you should have done differently? Are you still going to get your left knee done?

• Posted

That doesn't sound right - have you had advice from a doctor? At almost 8 weeks I just have minor swelling in my post-op knee now.
    • Posted

Oh yes, it is time to get the other knee sorted. My consultant wanted to do it about five years ago but I was hoping I would die before going through that all again!!!!

• Posted

Oh whoops! I meant NAIVITY, not nativity. I wasn't born yesterday, was I? wink
    • Posted

Honestly, I sometimes FEEL like I WAS born yesterday! There is SOOOO MUCH to learn, and so many NEW MISTAKES to make!!!
  • Posted

Hi Chery190571,

It is completely normal to have swelling after TKR. In fact the swelling can last for quite a while. I'm 3 months po and my knee is still swollen, though not anything like the first few weeks. I 'googled' total knee replacement and found a few videos of what they do during surgery. Boy, I'm glad I didn't know what they did before I had my surgery. I also know why they don't tell you all the stuff they do, because if they did, no one would have their knees replaced. Hang in there and this too shall pass

• Posted

Thanks so much for the encouragement! It really helps to know that improvement WILL come!
  • Posted

Yes, Cheryl, I plan to have it done early winter and hope it will be OK for me to get back to full time work before Spring. But as I am 81 years old it may take longer?
    • Posted

You are joking? full time work and you are 81???  Actually, I've heard of several people in their eighties who have had this op and they seem to recover faster than us youngsters of 70 . . .
    • Posted

Daphne my operated knee is a different shape than my other and slightly larger but swelling comes and goes now depending on what I've been doing. I have further surgery next week to straighten but my surgeon said swelling should be totally gone by 12 months (even with all my complications). I would get someone to check your knee, I don't believe in normal circumstances your knee should be so enlarged.

On another note I'm only 36 and I've been told that TKR is one of the only operations where recovery is generally better/faster for older patients. I'm sure you'll be back to work in no time. You must really enjoy it x

• Posted

Yes, I do enjoy it. I have been propogating garden plants in aid of various charities ever since I "retired" about eighteen years ago? As I kind of hibernate for three months in the winter with S.A.D (And TKRs), I make up for it by working 56 hours a week at this time of year. The sun and exercise are SO good for arthritis. But I do fall down from time to time when carrying stuff without my third leg. Then BOTH knees swell wink All in a good cause! Thank you for caring x

• Posted

That's brilliant Daphne....not the falling but the gardening. Maybe you should strap on some ice hockey leg pads each time you go down into the garden cheesygrin

To be honest I could probably do with them myself haha.  Joking aside I think it's probably worth a bit of swelling if you get to do something you enjoy xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.