Swelling of foot, knee (well whole leg) post THR

Posted , 23 users are following.

My leg feels so tight as it's so swollen as is my foot too ! Didn't expect this to be that bad. ICS team who change my TED say this is normal. Anyone else feel so swollen? My shoe is even really tight. Anyone else feel like this? I'm 2 weeks post op tomorrow night.

Also feels like I'm sitting on a rod sometimes ?? Suppose in a way I am. So uncomfortable. .......

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Feet up! Make sure you elevate them whenever you get a chance; it's a great excuse for a good relax... I don't wear shoes in the house and only wore flipflops outside for a good three months after my op. Now I have a really good pair of walking shoes, but use either TEDs or all-day socks with them when going out.

• Posted

Hi, I thought I'd managed to miss the dreaded swelling but lo & behold, 1 week post-op & I couldn't bend my knee! It was that bad I had to remove the TED stockings as they were beginning to act like a tourniquet at the back! Following the knee came the thigh, ankle & calf until my whole leg resembled an elephant leg (I likened it to one of those doner kebabs on the stick that spin round in the chip shop)! Plenty of ice, plenty of elevation & little & often walks to get the circulation moving does the trick. I'm 8 weeks post-op now & my ankles are still slightly swollen x

• Posted

Oh sounds so familiar! Thank you and good luck with your recovery too. X
  • Posted

Hi,   I'm five weeks passed my right hip Op. the swelling has only just begun to subside, the first two to three weeks were very uncomfortable, a stinging/burning sensation in lower legs, and ankles very stiff... We phoned the hospital, and were assured that this is normal in 'some' patients.. good luck with your progress

• Posted

Thank you Terry, good luck with your recovery too. Hard going from massively independent to having to rely on others! 😉 x
    • Posted

I'm lucky to have my wife to look after me, she is a retried nurse.  I'm able to do most things now, except putting socks on, even with the contraption they gave me.

• Posted

Hi I'm new to this forum and had a right thr 9 days ago. My leg / ankle very swollen and can't get shoes on at all I'm getting conflicting advice ie elevate move exercise etc. I was told to go to our local a and e and sit and wait which woukd have made it swell even more. On a lighter note I feel so much better with hardly any pain in my hip and have cut down on painkillers. I am able to hobble a couple of steps without my crutches. How common is this swelling

• Posted

Morning Eileen! Swelling goes hand in hand with this surgery. I'm 2 weeks 4 days out and I still have a little swelling in up thigh. I never had swelling of the feet tho. Icing, walking & elevating the leg we'll help. Wishing you the best in your recovery!!

• Posted

Hi Eileen, right THR 9 days ago here also. Some swelling in foot and lower leg just started a few day ago. I can still get loose slip on shoes on. Pain is much better. Everyone is different but swelling to be expected. I had knee replacement 2 years ago, leg and foot were swollen for months. Elevate your foot and ice 15-20 minutes at a time. Call your doctor, he's the one that really should answer these questions! Happy to give you some input though. Do your physical therapy, very important. Dave63380

• Posted

Thanks for your advice. I walked to the local shop this morning and have been shattered ever since but feel better for it. Am on home anti clotting injections as well and I find they make my heart race for a bit after. Sorry to be a pain and keep asking questions but I've never had anything done like this before and every little ache and pain a get I panic over

• Posted

Don't be sorry!!! That's what I like about this forum....we are here to give out advice, share our experiences and offer love & support. I'm right there with you!! I panic and/or get discouraged but hang in there, it will get better! ??

• Posted

Thanks. It's good to know someone out there to offer advice and share experiences with

• Posted

Thanks Linda. My foot really swollen and now loads of flaky skin on it. Is this normal as well
    • Posted

Uugghh! I see that in my leg!! I'll be glad when I get in shower and take a real bath!! Wash my hair!!! ????????

• Posted

I had a special dressing on my wound that allowed me to shower I had that removed two days ago and another waterproof one put on. I want a good soak in the bath

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.