Swelling of foot, knee (well whole leg) post THR

Posted , 23 users are following.

My leg feels so tight as it's so swollen as is my foot too ! Didn't expect this to be that bad. ICS team who change my TED say this is normal. Anyone else feel so swollen? My shoe is even really tight. Anyone else feel like this? I'm 2 weeks post op tomorrow night.

Also feels like I'm sitting on a rod sometimes ?? Suppose in a way I am. So uncomfortable. .......

3 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks all this is very reassuring info from you all

• Posted

Both of my lower legs feel tight and swollen 2 years after my TKNR on my right knee. I’ve been told I may some nerve damage. Doctor of course, says I am fine. Not! Still some pain and swelling at knee and then my lower back gets jacked up
  • Posted

Cath, I’m so glad you asked these questions.  I’m a nurse but never dealt with ortho so this THR recovery is kicking my butt.  (If you need me to deliver your baby at dinner or in an elevator, I’m your gal!). The only thing on me that’s ever been sexy and toned are my legs and ankles yet at 17 days postop I too am miserable with swelling.   With a little grey paint I could be elephant tootsies!  I’ve been reading all the responses you got and I think we’re on the right track.  I appreciate the suggestions for TED hose.  And since so many recommended continuing the ice, I’ll keep it up.  The one thing I’ve dealt with and want to strongly avoid is the DVT issue.  Do not minimize the risk.  A pulmonary embolism can kill us before we dial 911 so please, all day long, whenever you think about it, point your toes like a ballerina and the point them back to your head.  Do ankle rolls.  Slide your foot back and forth on the bed or couch when you are lying down.  Lift your thighs up to 90 degrees at the hip.  Press down on the bed/couch as you tighten your thigh and then calf muscles.  Anything you can do to make those muscles from your hip down work will help keep that blood flowing and not static.  The stasis is the problem.  From now on I’ll think of you when I do my exercises and we’ll both head back to sexy ankles together!  You go girl!
    • Posted

Those are exactly the exercises I was given to do in hospital, so thank you for explaining what they are for. Now (5 weeks out) have much harder ones, which are for strengthening my muscles - squats, hip bridges etc. Sure they will be worth it in the end, but they are tough.
  • Posted

I am 4 yrs post bi-lateral hip replacement, and my right leg stays swollen.
    • Posted

My PT recommended getting a rolling pin and rolling from ankle UP towards my hip, all around the leg. It helped SOOOOOO MUCH!   I only get a little swollen now, only on days where I’ve done way too much or sitting long periods in a chair that is too tall and cuts in right behind my knee. Give it a try. ONLY ROLL TOWARDS YOUR TORSO, not towards your foot. 
  • Posted

I'm 3 1/2 post OP partial hip replacement n my foot on side of surgery has been very swollen..Just recently it's got down some but still feel alot of tightness.. I'm hoping this is normal...I'm still walking with a cane n have alot of groin pain on n off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.