Swimming after TKR

Posted , 13 users are following.

I'm 12 weeks out from LTKR. Have been doing pretty good really walking daily exercising etc,. Had a 2 night hotel break this week with partner,Decided to try swimming, found my knee heavy and weird in the water, can only breaststroke so after trying for a while gave up as too painful . Still painful 2 days later. Resting icing ibuprofen and still same,, hopeknee replacement not damaged or dislocated. , ??

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.. Sorry swimming ruined your lovely weekend and left you with pain. You wrote to the right site. Did you ice it for the pain?I think I can speak for most of us here. If you were fine before the swim, I doubt you dislocated the implant. You should most definitely call your doctor.

definitely call your doctor. I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck in your healing.

• Posted

Thanks Marilyn.I did ice still icing as knee sore to touch. As I can only swim breaststroke that's what I tried but was painful on my knee I've read at 12 weeks breaststroke is ok?? Yea I'll contact doc if no better

• Posted

Sorry Nuala only just read this about only doing breast stroke. So maybe walking. How about a few lessons on how to float on your back amnd do cycling motion. If the pool is fairly shallow Im sure youd learn quickly. Also as said do the breast stroke with your arms. You could just paddle your legs to help.
  • Posted

Hi Nuala,  I doubt that you have injured it with the swimming - likely it is just a different type of exercise and using different muscles.  I am 13 months out (Holy!) and am FINALLY feeling like this new knee might actually belong to me!  I have recently started swimming again and I have found that ti feels a bit wierd in the water, maybe due to no stress on the joints or muscles and again it "feels like" there might be some lateral movement - but nothing that shouldn't be happening. The strengthening that the low stress exercise helps with tho is great in the long run.  Keep at it ... but slowly smile

• Posted

Thanks Donna. Hope you're right?? My partner said same as you, wait n see eh ! Enjoy your swimming. I've missed it so much but couldn't believe how weird and heavy knee felt in the pool!

• Posted

I will say tho that the knee did feel heavy too at your stage..even taking a bath would stiffen it....it takes way longer than anyone really tells you to get to feel like it is your again.... 😁
  • Posted

Hi Nuala I was told by physio that breast stroke is one thing you can't do not with the legs anyway as its the wrong movement! You can do the arms but do another stroke the legs 

• Posted

Hi!

I'm afraid you can't ever do breast stroke leg kick again with a TKR (as advised by my consultant and physiotherapist) you have to do freestyle leg movements eg the crawl! I always did breast stroke but these days with now two TKRs I do breast stroke with my arms and kicks as you'd do with the crawl with my legs! Takes a bit of getting used to but it works for me and no damage to knee replacements.

Glenda

• Posted

Hi j had four tkr to left leg. Wad told not to do breastcstroke with legs .have you donecdome phydio jn water ? I absolutrly love it
  • Posted

Hmm swimming should have been good I was told - I'm

Braving it today to go - I did get told not to do breast stroke? And let legs trail ? I hope u havent re injured it -smile good luck ... I really feel for you , it's a long road but we will get there . Sounds like your doing all the right things

• Posted

Hi Nuala. I'm sorry to hear this too. I agree with Marilyn that you probably didn't dislocate the implant. My physical therapist told me that there's really no way I can damage my replacement unless I fall directly on it. Keep icing, and hope you're feeling better soon.

• Posted

Hi Dianne I fell directly on my implant on day 8 just 4 days at getting home tripped over the stupid crutches and was first time I was home alone .. totally ripped all internal and external stitching below knee .. was on the floor waiting for someone to get home for over an hour and hubby took me directly to surgeon.. had exrays all was good thank goodness but was readmitted to hospital for 5 days due to swelling and to see how wound would heal with a vacuum bandage and steri strips as surgeon was concerned about going back in as there would've been a very high % for an infection and knee to be redone.  Thankfully all ended up fine but at 9mths am still having alot of issues.  Cheers Tracey

• Posted

Oh my goodness Tracey, that sounds horrendous! Great to hear that you are okay now.
    • Posted

Oh man! So glad you survived your fall Tracey! This knee replacement journey is not for chickens. Falling when I'm home alone is my greatest fear. Before surgery, no one ever told me about all the issues we would encounter...thank goodness for this discussion board~take care!

• Posted

You might be doing something different due to the feeling of your new knee. If knee won't tolerate swimming then there perhaps is something to have checked! I walked 5 kms yesterday and carried 7kg of luggage up and down 80+ stairs. Knees told me I'd perhaps overdone it after another 5 kms walk today! Get it checked out!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.