Swollen ankles/feet

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all,

I have posted about this before but we have new members so thought I would try again. My feet and ankles are swelling alarmingly within a couple of hours of getting up on a morning. I already take water tablets at the maximum dose, have had blood tests to rule out heart problems, etc. and my GP just advises putting my feet on a stool when watching TV (I don't watch TV). They do not go back down until I have been in bed all night and a couple of times this week have been unable to put my shoes on. Can anyone suggest anything that will help please?

Jacee :?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jacee, I could be you - exactly the same problem- my feet and ankles swell up the minute I put them to the floor ..its all a build up of fluid I've been like it for months and its getting worse.I have about 20 pairs! of shoes and can only wear 1 pair - plimsolls!MY left is worse than the right and if I wear pop-socks or socks my leg swells above them.I. was advised to get support pop-socks from M&S - medical ones would have constricted them more. These worked for a while but not any more. Take diurectics but no help, don't 'wee' any more either. And they now hurt I raise my legs at night in bed (electric) and they go down but one can't have them up all day and even sitting does'nt help. What w ith tissue paper skin, I bruise and bleed at the slightest thing (I take Warforin as well as highdose steroids) I also look like a hamster. Bad day breathing etc., today - sorry.This is of no use I can't advise you cos I can't find the answer myself. Let me know if u do.
    • Posted

The inflammation in your feet and ankles is due to inflammation in your gut. It manifests in other stressed areas of your body. When your swelling becomes painful it's indicative that there is lymph in the fluid. This can and will eventually turn to cancer if you don't move it. The answer is in first finding out if you don't already know what your blood type is. Every blood type has a different set of enzymes to break down the food we eat. Certain foods for certain blood types are much harder to break down. This results in poor digestion and inflammation in our digestive system. That inflammation manifests in the other areas of our body. The ankles/feet are very common as they carry our weight around all day. 

For each blood type there are foods that you should avoid. Also once this swelling has gotten to the point it has for you and did for me, there are foods you should load up on. They're  like medicine that brings us back into balance.  I am an O blood type. I can have red meat, poultry, some types of seafood. But no pork at all. I also cannot have many types of veggies and fruit that are considered healthy for most people and which are fine for other blood types. I can't have any cheese except mozzarella. No milk or yogurt or ice cream. No bread except sprouted. No oranges. My daughter and daughter in law's blood type is A. They should avoid red meats and can have certain cheeses and some dairy but have other fruits and veggies they need to avoid. 

After only 2 weeks of strictly adhereing to this blood type diet all my swelling went down in my ankles and I noticed a significant reduction in my abdominal section. I knew I was having a hard time breaking when I tied my shoes or bent over. I just contributed it to getting older and putting on some weight. But it was actually inflammation. I also have noticed having greater clarity, more energy and where my hair was beginning to thin at my hairline around my face, I now see new growth. I'm six weeks in, and I have lost 8 lbs without trying or starving. When you're carrying fluid it you may be tempted to avoid drinking water. But it's the opposite of what you should do. You're body will try to reserve water if you deprive it. You should be drinking half your body weight in ounces of water daily. Hope this helps! 

PS avoid all processed or prepackaged foods and avoid anything that has high fructose corn syrup. 

• Posted

This really sounds like a whacky diet. I  hate to say this but this sounds like tosh best on web folklore band failed magic that I've read for along long time and defo not based on hard medical evidence.

We do have different blood groups but our enzymes are the same whoever you are..  You appear to be discribing possible food intolerance both perceived and possibly real but nothing that would kill. Nothing described is an true allergy which could kill (peanut/nut allergy/penicillin etc).  I agree with avoiding processed food if you can as they are loaded with salt and other presevatives but even then a little bit of what you fancy does you good. .  I am now in end stage kidney disease.  I am still working out my new diet with my dietician.  It will be tough but actually based on medically based, hard to fallow and not based on wish ful thinking.  It will include, occasional, old fashioned fish and chips and grilled meats, plenty to of fresh vegetables etc.  For the odema and the high blood pressure I restrict my fluid intake to a litre a day and have lost, in the last 18 months, some 30+kilos (I was 119 kgs and am now 79kgs - and slim).

I am sorry if you find this email offensive but I am a believer in modern medicine, its based on hard medical evidence, in the UK its free at the point of delivery and our doctors, nurse, dietitians and all other  professions allied to medicine are excellent too.

• Posted

Hi all,

Okay, as there were no easy answers, I did this the hard way – research. It appears that certain medical conditions (see your doctor to rule these out first) and certain medications can cause oedema (swelling) in the legs/feet. These medications include hormones like oestrogen and testosterone (birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy), blood pressure medications (called calcium channel blockers), antidepressants (those including MAO inhibitors and tricyclics) and our old friends steroids.

If there are no underlying medical conditions, the best prevention appears to be avoiding sitting for prolonged periods of time, not wearing restrictive clothing and losing weight if you need to. Once the swelling occurs, it is recommended that legs should be elevated when lying down (above the heart so get them up there girls and boys), following a low salt diet may help, you can try wearing support stockings or, exercising (another old friend!) is good as it pumps the fluid back to your heart.

Other home remedy suggestions I have found include trying firm (but not painful) massage of the fluid away from the site and back towards the heart and avoiding extreme temperatures (eg avoiding hot baths/showers and dressing warmly when it is cold). Hope this helps.

Jacee

xx

• Posted

Hi Again!

I too have this problem.

It was during the winter that my GP put me onto water tablets as they were still swollen in the cold & I was still wearing my sandals in November!

At the moment we are trying to sort out my problem of having to get up, up to 4 times during the night for a wee!

I drink plenty during the day up to about 4pm, then I really cut it down to about 2 glasses of water till the next day!

I do get a terrible dry mouth & in desperation I rinse my mouth out with water to help.

She also advised me to try & walk more & like you put my feet up when sat down.

Last night I noticed that my ankles weren’t too bad maybe as I had been a bit more active as I had to take my mother out for a hospital appointment instead of spending the afternoon on the computer!

The only sandals I have found that are wide enough are made by Rohde, I always used to wear \"Hotter\" ones but found they were too narrow now.

I don’t know what I am going to do next winter as my \"Hotter\" shoes are now too tight & my trusty old \"Clarke’s\" trainers are getting very tatty!

I have been to the \"Clarke’s\" shoe shop & tried everything & nothing was wide enough!

So if anyone knows of any wide leather flat shoes or trainers I would be very grateful!!

Also has anyone seen the TV advert for a circulation booster?

I was wondering if this would help. I have asked my GP but she didn’t know.

Take Care, Knitty

• Posted

P.S. Jacee.

I have sent you a PM !!

Take Care, Knitty

• Posted

Knitty, have you been checked for Diabetes recently? If not then you need to a.s.a.p. as you are describing classic symptons, Luv Van x
  • Posted

Hi Van,

I have just sent you a PM!!

I have been tested as I thought that & I don’t have diabetes.

I have been told to cut down on salt as I am now on tablets for high blood pressure, which I have had for about 2 years & I only went on them 1 month ago!

I do take Lofepramine for depression which is supposed to make you thirsty?

& I think some of the inhalers cause a dry throat, although I did read something about dry husky voice somewhere & heart problems!

Everything seems to take so long........

My GP recommended that I see a Cardiologist before Xmas, I have been seen once & was supposed to get the results in August, but the hospital has cancelled the appointment till September!

Take Care, Knitty x

• Posted

Knitty, just a quickie to say that I've had to get extra extra wide fit shoes myself. I generally look at shoetailor which has loads from e to eeee wide fit- , and evans do up to eee width as well as plus size clothes. Both have been fine on deliveries / returns etc.

Sorry not to have got back to you on pm yet, but want to leave it 'till I have peace and time - unusually busy household at the moment for next ten days as our Festival kicked off last night, today is big parade through village with Floral dance, inaugeration of new mayor, dunking of new mayor into the sea at high tide and then music on the Green tonight. Then we have music, drama and dance productions, a scary amount of daily morris dancers, arts and literary stuff etc day and night. As you can imagine, at this time of year I also get a houseful of Issy's friends on almost permanent 'sleepovers'' and all is generally mayhem. On reflection, I must say that I am in better shape this year, as I remember not being up to doing more than watch from my window last year, but soon I will get ready to go outside for the day and join in the festivities - tho' admittedly I will never be up to 'furry dancing' my way through the village again!

I am also a very proud mum at this time. Issy plays the major 'baddy' in the village Drama, Isaac plays double bass in his 'Gypsy Jazz' band, and as a local artist, daughter in law Clare is involved in events at the art gallery. In fact I'm the only member of the family that doesn't contribute:oops: . Oh well, we can't all be stars or there wouldn't be any audience!

Talk again soon, tho' may be gone all week, not sure, bye Van xx

• Posted

For anyone who is really struggling - I found that Evans sells footwear up to size 9 and has width fittings to EEE.

Jacee

• Posted

Hi Everyone!

Do any of you wear those \"lovely\" support socks or stockings!

I was measured for some last year, but they cut in on my ankles so I dont wear them.

Now my GP has suggested I up my \"Water\" tablet to 2 a day when its very hot & told me to wear my socks!

I explained why I didnt so she wants me to be measured again & to have the stronger ones!

I am having another Doppler test next week as my left leg was borderline last year for wearing them.

Knitty x

• Posted

Hi Knitty, don't know if this is any use. I have also doubled my water tablets to 40 mg. Then I found (winter 2008/spring 2009) that my feet were still very swollen. I was NOT measured by my GP, just given a prescription for the chemist (I think the lovely socks were classed as small, medium and large). I found them uncomfortable if I did not wear them from first thing. I had to be sure to get them on BEFORE there was any swelling or they were too tight. However, if I wore them from waking to going to bed they were fine. I discontinued use when the warmer weather came and this coincided with me being more active also as I started back at work. I did not have any further probs until recently but, unfortunately, had thrown the socks away and would not have fancied wearing them in the hot weather anyway.

Jacee

• Posted

hi jacee

i suggest getting your thyroid checked out. my feet were doing this for 2 yrs before i stumbled across a support group for underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) gob smacked at the difference once i started on natural thyroid tablets. the synthetic ones did me more harm than good

• Posted

Hi Jacee,

The reason your feet are swelling so much is because you are consuming too much sodium. People like us are extremely sensitive to salt. Try to take sodium out of your diet and drink lots and lots of water. I promise you will see an improvement.

• Posted

Hello to all.

I too get swollen legs but mine is caused by Nephrotic Syndrome and CKD.  The advice I've been given is to reduce salt but, and more importantly, restrict my fluid intake to 1 to 1.5 litres per day and take water tablets. 

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.