Swollen lymph nodes for 7-8 years

Posted , 101 users are following.

Hello,

I'm a 22 year old male and as the title says I have had swollen lymph nodes in my neck and armpits for almost 8 years. It started when I was around 15 years old with a one or two nodes getting swollen in my neck. The GP said it was nothing so I haven't paid any more attention to them. Over the following few weeks I noticed a few more in my neck and a few in my armpits. They are around 0.5cm - 2.5cm in size, hard, painless and movable and haven't changed in these 7-8 years. I have no other symptoms.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 likes, 186 replies

186 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Now I'm no health professional but if it's lasted for 8 years you definitely can rule out something more serious but it could be related to somewhat how your brain works and other factors? Anxiety is known for lymph nodes to swell and other stuff but in your case it could just be an overactive or possibly weird lymphatic system . You can get medication for it if the lymp nodes bother you. I also have been getting lymph nodes for literally 10 years now but their only In my neck and literally theirs usually only 1 and they don't grow and go away within a day. It sounds normal but really since I never get any infections and I've been known to get random swollen lymph nodes for years I may have something....?

• Posted

I don't know if you are still active or not on this site but I want to share the fact that I've experienced the same thing as you.I hope you are healthy. I have Lumps in my neck and above my collarbone.I feel like they have stopped growing in size.I first noticed these about 6-7 years back when I was 12 yrs old.They haven't caused any problems and I don't suffer from night sweats etc.I noticed some guy asking you something about your reports in the replies.Did he give you any advice?How's your health? Are there any complications? Please reply

• Posted

Yhough it's an old post but it gave me a relief to read and hence replying to you. I have 4 swollen lymph nodes in my right side of my neck close to collarbone for the last 5 years. when I found my first lymph node, it was a size of a pea, soft moveable and painless, I rushed to my doc, she said don't worry it'll go away by itself, I came home and forgot about it, few mother back I touched my neck, i freaked out after finding 2 more swollen lymph nodes close to the first one and the first one had gotten a little bigger too, went to the doctor again, she made me do some blood work, MRI, CT, Chest Xray, everything came out normal, nothing suspicious. they also found out I have few more small swollen lymph on my right side of the neck too that I can't feel whrn I touch, I went through a lot of anxiety for a long time googling my symptoms but after a while I got used to it, I think some people have them with no reason, may be it runs in the family too? I spoke to all my family members and found out 2 of them have swollen lymph nodes for years. so, if you find a swollen lymph nodes for a long time, have been to the doctor, all tests came negative then just relax, don't worry.

• Posted

I've had the same hard nodes enlarged for over 10 years, my blood work is completely normal. This has caused me a lot of panic, perhaps there is a relationship between panic and hard lymph nodes. I've had CT Scans, Xrays & ultrasounds. My dr keeps telling me to ignore them, nothing to be concerned with. Glad I found this discussion, has put my mind at ease a little 

• Posted

Hi everyone. It’s quite a bit of relief to find this thread. 

I’m 22 years old and have been having re-occurring anxiety about swollen lymph nodes in my neck for over a decade now. My first unusual symptom was a single swollen, painless tonsil back when I was about 11 years old. 2-3 years after that I began to notice swollen lymph nodes appearing all over my neck. My biggest one is underneath my jaw where you’d check your pulse, and is probably about the size of a cherry. They’re all rubbery and pretty solid/hard but very mobile. I have a total of AT LEAST 10 swollen glands in my neck. 

All of these years I’ve been going through cycles of extreme worry which later turns into being convinced that it’s nothing, only to eventually begin worrying that I have lymphoma again. I saw a doctor about this issue at a walk-in clinic many years ago when I was about 15, who took a quick feel (no tests or anything) and told me not to worry, but didn’t provide any explanation for why I have these swollen nodes. 

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve begun to worry again. This time, probably more than ever. I started having some faint aches in my abdomen/ below my ribs.  I’m convinced that I have lymphoma and that these aches are the result of swollen nodes in that area. However, I’m also open to the possibility that these aches are only in my head due to all of the stress I’m currently undergoing. My mom is battling her third cancer (two breast cancers and now it’s in her liver and colon) and things haven’t been going perfectly well for her lately. Maybe seeing her go through this is giving me hypochondria? 

But regardless, the swollen glands and tonsil are very much real. I have been trying to build up the courage to see a doctor and demand further testing. I’m terrified, but I aim to push myself to do it by the end of this week. 

I’ll keep you guys updated once I finally see a doctor. I wish everyone in this thread or anyone with similar fears who may be reading this the best of luck. I hope that this thread stays active and that we can keep each other updated on any new revelations.  

• Posted

Hey Linda,

I’m so sorry to hear about ur Mam!

I’m glad u posted that comment, I 1st noticed lumps in me neck when I was 18 was terrified but like u the doctor told me it was nothing with no explanation,

When I was 22 I noticed the lumps under my jaw line and like u my biggest is exactly where the pulse would be, then I found a lump in my breast and was referred to get an ultrasound she said it was nothing I asked her to had a look at the lumps in my neck again and nothing now iv noticed small lumps under each of my armpits like I’m so scarred I can’t stop tinking there’s something wrong with me.. let me no how u get on x

• Posted

I’m 26 now so a total of 9yrs iv been feeling with these waves on anxiety 
  • Posted

Hi. I know this is 4 years later but oh well??. Im a 14 year old male and i first noticed small glands up on both sides of my neck in January 2017 when i was 12. Since then i have noticed more around my neck and jaw also they have grown a bit. I have recently found 2 or 3 in my groin. My mum phoned the doctor who said it is nothing 2 worry about

Reading all the the other replys has made me feel aalot more relaxed about it.????????

• Posted

I have the same symptoms as you Tom.

I'm 15 and had these nodes since I was 12.

• Posted

me as well. im 15 and ive had them for probably 2-3 years maybe more. same symptoms as well. if any of you guys went to a doctor please tell us what the doctor said

• Posted

idk if any of you guys are still active, but for anyone worried its mostly the size. my ENT said if you kind of have to fish around for it or it's not too big then you shouldnt worry about them.

• Posted

Hello 

I’m a 17 year old male who likes to go to the gym an try my best to keep fit but a couple months back in December I noticed a lump on the right side of my neck so I went to the doctors an they said it was a swollen lymph node an my glands under my chin was swollen, an at the moment I have a sore throat. The doctor said in a few week it should go an be fine nothing to worry about but ever since then I just keep panicking about it an worrying an can’t stop touching them to see if is still swollen. From time to time it feels like it gets smaller an bigger but I just want to know if it will stay there for most of my life if anyone could help that would be great

• Posted

Mate, I've had swollen lymph nodes in my neck for 2 and a half years now. All started off with the worst cold I've ever had that lasted about 3 months. They're still there now, not changed. Large, slightly hard and very movable. Just keep an eye on them from time to time. A gentle feel every 2 or 3 weeks and as long as they don't get noticeably bigger or you start having other symptoms then I wouldn't stress too much! This thread especially has taught me that sometimes they'll just stay that size and if you're touching them all the time, that won't help matters. Don't let it make you panic. I went through some horrible anxiety about it all in the first year and that alone was worse than any physical symptoms I had by a mile. If you are super stressed though, ask your gp if they can refer you to an ENT doctor and they'll do an ultrasound and possibly a biopsy to put your mind at ease!

Take it easy smile

• Posted

Aup mate cheers for the advice an I just wonder an panic about stupid things like that like I just want to know if they stay like that on my neck will I still be alright an I know it might sound stupid but things like that are just on my mind a lot but cheers for the advice again.
  • Posted

Hey Ivan. My name is Vlad and I'm 22.

I noticed mine 3 years ago, they didnt go, and god knows how long they were up. They diminished eversince until 1 year ago. This is when things became worse. I swam in this super dirty river in Warsaw. I had all of them swollen in my neck, arm pits, down around groin and around tempes.

I run a little marathon 3 times a week, I'm in a super good health, signed up for the gym and all that good stuff.

One thing i noticed they could cause acne sometimes. Even more if i go sedentary for a while (weeks or more)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.