swollen operated leg

Posted , 17 users are following.

ok folks this is day 13 following a total hip replacement i’m doing ok but my operated leg is swollen all the way down especially my foot & ankle, i’m told this is normal but would love feedback from fellow hippies ps get my staples out in 2 days time.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello David, today I am 5 days post op and had swelling yesterday that kinda freaked me out. My whole leg was swollen and I was concerned. But, like the others said on here, I was told and forgot to elevate it twice a day and ice it also. After elevating the leg and icing it down,the swelling went way down. I was told the more you walk the quicker you will build those muscles back up, but I was over doing it. I have so much less pain with this hip replacement than the last one, that I have to remind myself...slow down...it takes time with major surgery. So,elevate that leg,get it high enough so that foot is higher that your heart, and ice that thigh. Your fellow hippie Tim.
  • Posted

Hi David,

it’s all quite normal. I had swollen legs, and normally I’m slim. The hospital told me to take off my compression socks during the day because I was very active, but to wear them at night. I used to find that my legs got increasingly swollen during the day, and then at night they settled down.

As the others have  said, ice and elevate. Someone on here, can’t remember who, suggested freezing a damp face cloth in a plastic bag. My sister had her hip replaced recently, and she said it works brilliantly!

All the best with your recovery,

Judith

• Posted

Hi David,

I'm now just 6 weeks post operative. Swelling of ankle and leg is quite normal so don't worry. My knee is still sore a bit, but foot swelling gone down a lot. After my 4th week I began to feel better, so be patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.