Swollen postauricular nymph node

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I noticed about 2-3 weeks ago that i had a small lump behind my ear and i first assumed it was just acne. Now i noticed its still there and about the same size! I am pretty sure it is a swollen nymph node (postauricular) after doing internet research because its located exactly where the lymph node is. It is a bit hard, painless, kinda fixed (tried moving it), pinkish color and about the size if a bean. From what i have seen this seems to suggest cancer and i am worried. I am 25 yo, male, light smoker (about 5 a day) for 8 years. I had an ear infection but that was on my other ear and like 3 months ag. About 1-2 weeks ago i had very light ear pain (where the lymph node is) and about 1 week ago that ear...sorry cant explain well...seemed to vibrate and it sounded like there was an helucopter inside, i literally felt my ear vibrating! I sadly can only see a doctor in about 2 weeks. I dont think i have any other symptons. I like to be realistic and it seems like cancer and i know i cant get a diagnosis here but i want some opinions please. Thanks alot everyone!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had a lymph node swollen behind my left ear for 8 months now. Had an ultrasound done and an MRI and it was found to be "benign appearing lymph node" so I'm just on a wait and see if it goes away -_-

I saw my reg Dr, ENT, dermo and an oncologist (i wanted a variety of opinions lol). And all of them don't seem concerned. Mine is also about the size of a pea/kidney bean and it is hard, doesn't move and painless. It will shrink in size sometimes but hasn't gotten any bigger than about 1.5cm.

All of those Drs I've seen ^ think it is actually related to the acne on my face or dermatitis I get on my scalp occasionally. Very strange, but like I said I did an ultrasound and MRI and both came back normal.

I wouldn't freak out, wait and see what your doctor thinks. I freaked out in the beginning too and now I've come to learn that lymph nodes swelling does not always mean something bad/cancer. They can swell for the most minor reasons (like my acne apparently). Also, all of those Drs ^ told me that the only real red flag with lymph nodes is size. Nothing else really matters. If your lymph node stays small and doesn't turn like golf ball sized, you're fine and nothing to be concerned about. Things like hard/soft, pain/painless don't matter apparently, just size is what to watch for.

• Posted

Thank you very much! Tbh i was freaking out like crazy and went a whole day without sleeping! I feel better now and will see a doctor as soon as possible. I also have an itchy scalp with flakes i think its called dandruff but i have that since i was a child, my scalp can be quite oily. Iwill also quit smoking even if i dont have cancer now, things like that open our eyes. Again, thanks a lot! 
    • Posted

Glad I could ease your worries a bit! I really had such bad anxiety for a while when mine first popped up too.

And yeah take this as a sign that you should stop smoking! Cus next time you may not be lucky and it may not be just a minor issue! And now you def know how scary that can be =/

• Posted

Just remembered i wanted to ask if the overlying skin of your swollen lymph node is or was red/pink or normal skin color? Mine is darkish pink .
    • Posted

I haven't noticed any discoloration on mine, but perhaps your skin is more sensitive and since it's being pushed up by the swelling that could be why it's a bit pink?

• Posted

Tbh yes i have sensitive skin, i have been applying a bit of apple cider vinegar since some sites sugest it might help if its caused by bacterias but so far its roughly the same.
  • Posted

Have something very similar. Have a hard lump behind ear on mastoid process bone, it is actually attached to the bone and is immovable and is hard. It is 1cm in diameter (maybe just under) and I have had it for 7 months now, and there hasn't been any change in size. Terrified of lymphoma as every website online says that a hard, immobile lump behind ear is probably a malignant lymph node. 

• Posted

If you had it for that long and it didnt increase in size i doubt its malignant but just to be safe you should see a doctor if you havent already. And yes doctor google is really a meanie but also unreliable. What worries me is also my age since lymphoma and leukemia seems to be more common in the 20s age range but like i said if it didnt increased in size and you feel healthy its probably something benign! It might be hard and immovable because of the bone since behind the ears you dont have much fat but i might be wrong.
    • Posted

Seen the doctor twice within the 7 month period and neither seem concerned, I also had other lymph nodes but these are under a cm, soft and movable. I just have bad HA so I freak out about these things, but one of my nodes under my jaw line has been palpable for 2 years now. This one behind my ear concerns me more because it is hard, but like you said its been 7 months and it hasn't got bigger so hopefully should be fine. 

• Posted

Good to know everything seems to be fine! Is your node behind your ear skin colored or pink/red? I am not sure if color can suggest cancer and on the internet i cant find results about that. I am talking about the overlying skin.
    • Posted

My skin is just the same colour as normal over the node. 
    • Posted

Alright, thanks for answering! I will update after seeing a doctor hopefully in a week or two.
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing your similar issues, I also have a node swollen under my chin, and 2 that swell on the back of my head where those mastoid type bones are. They come and go -_-

If it helps your worries, all those Drs I saw so far (reg Dr, ENT, Dermo, and Oncologist) all said that nothing really matters much except size. So the fact your lymph node is hard and immovable isn't a worrisome sign as long as it stays small/normal sized. Google tends to say that hard/painless/immovable nodes are red flags but all those Drs told me that's not accurate, it's really just size that matters. Anything less than 2-3cm is not cause for concern apparently.

• Posted

Hey claudio65823 have you found out anything more about your lymph nodes? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.