Swollen Tonsils For 3 Weeks With Virus - Anyone Else? I'm Going Mad!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Apparently I have a virus that is causing my tonsils to be inflamed for 3 weeks.

I've been test for strep and mono, and it's not those. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

They're not sore or causing me any trouble swallowing, but I am getting some dry mouth, bad breath and the odd nasty little tonsil stone too.

Any help greatly appreciated! I'm going mad.

0 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have swollen tonsils filled with tonsils stones for a year now. 

I saw many doctors still have no answers. Maybe we have different problem but it's worth to see a dentist and maybe have a blood work done to see if you're fighting a virus or not. 

You can have Mono but the blood test be negative. I'm also in Infectious Mono group in this forum, there are lots of people suffering from sore throat and not only who have great advice. 

• Posted

That sucks christine06768! Hope you can overcome it, swollen tonsils are no fun at all. I usually get the odd stone here and there, used to suffer with tonsilitis (and maybe glandular fever/mono too) when I was younger, but generally just get the odd stone here and there.

But recently I've had some post-nasal drip, swollen tonsils (not sore), then came down with flu-like symptoms and have been going through hell since.

It's interesting that you mention the mono test can come back negative, didn't know that! I've had all the symptoms of mono for sure, except the spleen symptom, I did seem to get pain in the liver side although only a tiny bit.

My blood work and x-rays (front and side) showed nothing of concern, and I haven't got strep throat (another necessary sign for mono or not?) so it must be viral for me.

I'm on week 3 and have an almost entirely different set of symptoms to those I had last week. (Aside from the tonsils). Currently:

Swollen tonsils

Dry mouth

2 tender and loose lymph nodes on either side of my neck. (This is the opposite of cancerous signs apparently, so not too worried about that)

Fatigue/weakness and some weird muscle twitches/stiffness.

I also had some tingly face sensations the other day too, eye floaters, light sensitivity (no real trouble moving my neck though) and various other weird and random symptoms.

All in all, just a whole shower of symptoms that seem be changing with the wind. :-P 

Hopefully it all goes soon, Dr said there are some nasty viruses going around with people having them for 5-6 weeks or longer. So I might just about be getting over the hump of it hopefully.

I'm in the mono group too! That was my first "google diagnosis" haha. Hopefully we'll both on the mend soon!

• Posted

Interesting, I didn't get strep too, my doctor did a swab twice nothing. But my throat is swollen, red, sore. I had sever dry moth and throat at first, even sucking lemons didn't produce 1 drop of saliva. I got some saliva back after a course of antibiotics I took this January. I also had the twitchy muscles in my neck, I think swollen glands caused them. I still get the twitching thing now and then.

I have also developed post nasal drip (NEVER had it in my whole life), yikes. For that try spraying your nose with nasal spray, I pick the one with aloe juice and seawater. 

The strange thins is also that I have different symptoms each month but the throat pain is always there, especially the right side.

I still have no diagnosis, dr google helped me to self-diagnose lol. It;s terrible when doctors cannot find anything.

I had tinglings over my head, and I had MRI to rule out MS. But still I get these annoying, nerve racking tinglings on my chin, up my upper lip, on my throat. 

What x-ray did you have by the way?

• Posted

Wow! it sounds like we're both going through exactly the same things! As much as it sucks, it's nice to find a kindred spirit. :-) 

I tried the Lemons too, and while it seems to take down the inflammation on the tonsils temporarily, it doesn't help at all with the dry mouth. The dryness I'm getting is now only in the mornings too (probably sleeping funny) so there is some improvement there.

Regular chest XRay front and side, and got the all clear on those.

I could probably still use some tests to rule anything else out, but have been told to give it another couple of weeks to see what happens. Just hate that "virus" diagnosis, I want to know which virus! Are you the same? :-) 

• Posted

It's a kind of relief when you get the results back clear but the second minute you again start worrying but maybe...It may sound strange but I wish this is just a virus or even an autoimmune stuff not something scary.

• Posted

Yeah! "Everything is fine, nothing serious has been flagged up and all your tests are normal"

Great! But I still feel like crap. :-P It really does suck, I had a similar thing before around 8 years ago but never ended up in the ER with that.

I feel a bit better again today though, still woke up slightly sweaty and with the dry mouth, which is bothering me, and felt a little sick again too, but no more lymph swelling (just that tender/loose one) and no real other symptoms apart from weakness still, so hopefully it's finally leaving my body.

I haven't checked my tonsils yet, but they're probably still swollen I'm guessing, but the good news is they're not getting worse. 

How are you symptoms doing? Any improvement, or still the same? I'm going to try a baking soda later today if I can find some organic stuff. See if that has any help.

• Posted

"Try a baking soda" > I meant to say "baking soda gargle".

• Posted

Nice to hear you’re improving. This is encouraging. I hope to get better or find a clue and then I’ll post here so that in future people may need the info.

6-7 years ago I had somethig strange going on with me but I had different symptoms, burning mouth, painful stomach and so on. I lost lots of weight and the gradually got better within 1 year. Then I started exercising and was feelin 100mln bucks!

It can be also autoimmune stuff who knows. Diagnosing is the most conplicated thing.

I’m not great but i don’t have much pain today around the jaw. But I have terrible diarrhea lol.

• Posted

Yeah feeling a lot better! Had an episode of the chills and another tiny bout of nausea, and minimal face tingling, but overall there seems to be be an improvement. :-) Tonsils are still red/swollen though, I just checked. Want those damn things to go down!

I had something like this before too, thought I was going to die etc. but I don't remember it being this bad. 

It could be autoimmune for sure! Hopefully we both get to the bottom of it, and/or these damn bugs/viruses/whatever get killed soon. :-D 

• Posted

I seem to have a new pair of symptoms. I'm also getting some nausea and cramping calf muscles.

The nausea seems to come on suddenly and goes after a minute or so, I haven't been sick at all.

Calf muscle, yesterday the left one cramped when I woke up, and today it was the right one.

Might have to go Docs again soon at this rate. :-( 

My anxiety isn't helping either... 

• Posted

For the first month or 2 I had terrible nausea. Calf pain was there in the beginning too. When I goigled I freaked out. My lower legs felt kind of swollen and painful. It was a temporary symptom. And throughout the year I got new symptoms which went away after a while. The one thing for me that is always there is the throat pain swollen tonsils.

Let me know what ur doctor thinks

Feel better!

• Posted

Okay, now I'm not too worried about that. :-)

Have you got a full list of your symptoms anywhere? Would like to see if our's match up in anyway.

Mine started with the dry mouth/slight difficulty swallowing. But before that I remember having a terrible amount of phlegm one morning from my nose and throat.

Then I had flu-like symptoms with chills, high fever and shivers and shakes.

Next I had pains going all over the place, upper back, on the liver side, in the other side etc.

Then there blurry visions, eye floaters, trouble moving my arms, panicking etc. This was when I went to the ER the first time. All they tested me for came back clear, AKA nothing to be concerned about, "you've got a virus and anxiety".

Then I had a few more days with various "niggles" and still wasn't feeling right, so went to the ER again and got the all clear for Mono (like you said, maybe that's false) and they check my nodes again and said there were none that were swollen apart from the tonsils (strep test negative), and they also checked for flu (no idea of the result for that yet).

Now my main symptoms seem to be some slight weakness in the arm, cramps in the legs, random short bouts of nausea, some minor night sweats, the dry mouth seems to be easing, but my tonsils still look terrible. I've also had some phlegm again too, so perhaps whatever it is, it is finally coming out?

Will let you know for sure if I go back, appreciate the kind words too Christine, and hope you get better too! :-)

• Posted

as i am suffering fir a year my symptoms are endless lol. But I’ll try to remember.

In May I felt terribly weak, like I was knocked down by wind. I felt pain on the right side of the head. Tingling of hands and feet ., chin. Went to ER chesxray, blood test, you’re healthy.

After couple of fays felth like my armpits are swollen, weakness nausea, tinglings on chin, head, painful legs. went to ER, eye examination, it’s likely an anxiety but regerred me to MRI of brain which was clear

Started having throat pain, it got sore red, tonsils lingual ones swell slowly

Post nasal drip

Felt like choking went to ER, scope through nose referred to ENT

Having more throat pain

Burning of right lingual tonsil

Tongue, gum pain

Burning behind the ear

All of these with general weakness

January developed low grade fever 37-37.5C

Constipation

Tonsils swell with tonsil stones

Had antibiotics got better

Now tonsil swelling with yellow tonsil stones inside. 

Have right sided pain under ribs

Diarrhea  

Terrible itching

Black bags under eyes lol

And I didn’t sleep weel during this year.

And probably I forgot 50% of my synptoms lol. Probably sound like crazy. 

Hope this helpssmile

Keep me posted. This is the only way to share and vent. Doctors are of little help

• Posted

Forgot about mouth and theoat dryness which settled a little after antibiotics. 

My gums turn white and red on and off burn.

And i hve muscle weakness. My child pushes me lightly i go backwards and fall down. Lol

• Posted

Oh wow! It sounds like you're going through hell. :-( 

I've had most of those symptoms too, but they seem to change by the hour. The yellow tonsils stone was a new experience for me the other day. This is a horrible question, but are your's small or large? When I used to get tonsillitis they were always big and white, but the current ones are tiny.

Currently experiencing:

* A chilly feeling

* Dry mouth/lips

* Tonsils are still up

* Weak legs

* Minor night sweat (had some wine, could have been that)

On the plus side:

* No cramps this morning

* Digestive system seems to be working fine

* No nausea (yet?)

* No swollen lymph nodes (except tonsils i guess)

I seem to be getting better, but am still anxious. Will be week 4 on Thursday. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.