Swollen Tonsils For 3 Weeks With Virus - Anyone Else? I'm Going Mad!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Apparently I have a virus that is causing my tonsils to be inflamed for 3 weeks.

I've been test for strep and mono, and it's not those. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

They're not sore or causing me any trouble swallowing, but I am getting some dry mouth, bad breath and the odd nasty little tonsil stone too.

Any help greatly appreciated! I'm going mad.

0 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Quick update:

* Getting the chilly feeling again, dare not to take my temperature.

* Had a nap yesterday, woke up the sweatiest I've been since this all started. Very worrying!

* Tonsils still look the same, no real change. 

* Dry mouth was terrible this morning, as was the smell of my spit.

* Legs feel terribly weak again. 

All in all, not feeling too great today. Will be trying to arrange more appointments etc. tomorrow. 

• Posted

Hi,

I have been tok weak since yesterday. My lingual tonsils swell again, I seem to have sinusitis or just a basty cold. Still haven’t figured out what causes what. Is it my nose that infects the tonsils or vice versa. Sometimes it seems so simple right for doctors to figure out? Here in Canada they ldon’t rush to do tests but then all at once they decide to an mRI or CT scan! Sorry for the rant!

I too take naps sometimes, otherwise I can’t function. 

What’s the temperature in your house? Could it be hot and that makes you sweat?

• Posted

I also want to ask you if you had any major stress before having these symptoms?
    • Posted

sad that sucks! I've had some phlegm again, but don't feel like I've got a cold/flu or whatever anymore. (Or a virus, which is all it could be after negative strep (twice) flu and mono.

You're going for an MRI / CT? I think I want one of those just to double check and make sure there's nothing they can spot. Like I said before though, blood work was fine and so were my X-Rays. (Front a side), so there's probably nothing they'll find.

Yeah, really needed one today too, but no sweat this time "AFAIK".

I don't think it was because I was too hot, but it's possible! They seem to be sporadic and some morning I just wake up with mildly wet looking hair. Lymphoma apparently causes "dripping nightsweats" and I've not had those. Not had any of the other symptoms for lymphoma either really (apart from the swollen tonsils). So probably worrying over nothing. eek

• Posted

sad that sucks! I've had some phlegm again, but don't feel like I've got a cold/flu or whatever anymore. (Or a virus, which is all it could be after negative strep (twice) flu and mono.

You're going for an MRI / CT? I think I want one of those just to double check and make sure there's nothing they can spot. Like I said before though, blood work was fine and so were my X-Rays. (Front a side), so there's probably nothing they'll find.

Yeah, really needed one today too, but no sweat this time "AFAIK".

I don't think it was because I was too hot, but it's possible! They seem to be sporadic and some morning I just wake up with mildly wet looking hair. Lymphoma apparently causes "dripping nightsweats" and I've not had those. Not had any of the other symptoms for lymphoma either really (apart from the swollen tonsils). So probably worrying over nothing. eek

• Posted

Not really no, I might have pushed myself into some kind of anxiety overload though I guess.

Was drinking more black tea, craving sugar, not sleeping very well etc. So that could have done it. Might have burnt myself out or something.

• Posted

Today's update:

* Feel better than yesterday, but getting myself worried again. (Need to stop googling!)

* Dentist appointment should be arranged soon

* No luck contacting doctor

* Feel weak again

* Some dry mouth this morning

* Don't think I sweat much last night

All in all, I was feeling pretty good until I started feeling for nodes and googled lymphoma symptoms again. I have to remind myself my blood work was fine! It can't be Lymphoma.

Haven't checked the dreaded tonsils yet, had a tiny tonsil stone yesterday though.

• Posted

Hi,

Stop googling, it's bad for your health. I did it for the 1st months and it made me worse. I wish i didn't...

Have you seen a hematologist? if you have fears, for peace of mind you might want to see one and the lymphoma won't bother you anymore. 

I have seen a hematologist and although he felt the lymph nodes he said they are not too big for a lymphoma. But I want to make an appointment because I get bruises on my legs, I also have itching

Right now I'm sick with sore throat and the most worrisome thing is that my lingual tonsils keep swelling. I don't want to take antibiotics for the 2nd time. I feel there's an underlying condition and the meds are a temporary help.

Did you get your air purifier? smile

• Posted

Yeah you're not wrong there! I'll try my best, I promise! cheesygrin

I haven't seen a hematologist no, but 5 doctors have checked my lymph nodes and none think they are swollen, so I just need to get that idea out of my head. 

I don't have itching, and the nodes I can feel are generally small. Smaller than bean size isn't something worth worrying about apparently. Also, some of the ones that did come up felt painful to touch, which is apparently a good thing. and one that was concerning me last week also seems to have gone back down and no longer hurts when touched.

Might be worth getting further checks done though, still feel really cold! Could just be the lingering virus though.

That sucks! I think I said before that my throat still doesn't exactly feel "sore" it just nags me a little bit. My tonsils aren't growing, I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing? Did have a tiny little tonsil stone earlier though. Also good news: No dry mouth this morning, and no sweating either as far as I'm aware. Just the chills which are bugging me really, do you get those? (I forget if I asked, and this thread's getting long haha). Still feeling a little weak too... (Apparently both the Ativan and my nasal spray can cause this rolleyes)

No purifier yet, it should be here today though! I mixed the tracking numbers up and it was another parcel that arrived yesterday. lol But it did mean I got a bunch of healthy goodies arrive. The pruifier will be getting unboxed and plugged in as soon I get home. Looking forward to that!

Have tried honey as part of your diet Christine? I was reading something earlier that it really does help with sore throats, haven't tried that myself yet though. 

Thanks for dropping by again! Take care. biggrin

• Posted

Quick evening update.

Decided not to take my Ativan today (o.5mg) and instead opted for some Ashwaghanda (sp). 

Felt fine for most of the morning, but this afternoon I had a bout of unease/nausea and haven't been feeling too good in general. All my symptoms can easily be explained by anxiety but my mind still seems convinced it's something else.

I then got to wondering if I'm actually suffering from depression, so got to googling (I tried not to Christine, I promise!) and it turns out depression can be caused by "you know what" so I've set myself off again.

My emotions really do seem all out of whack lately which is concerning. But I hope it could just be my thyroid acting up perhaps? 

Anyway, trying to get myself back into a positive frame of mind: My birthday is coming up soon, my air purifier did arrive and is currently cleaning the air in my bedroom, and I managed to get a doctors appointment for the 9th!

So fingers crossed this whole episode can be put to bed next week and I can start my recovery and make some positive changes to my life. cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi,

You sound to have a typical mono. Your symptoms are very much alike the others in this forum. So hopefully you’ll have that turning point everyone is talking about here!

Hope the doctor suggests something. 

I woke up today to find out I lost my voice lol. Now I’m officially sick. Hope I won’t need another course of antbiotics. I want also to do the mono blood test finally for the 2nd time.

Hope you feel completely better soon!!!

• Posted

It all seems so mono-esque! Apparently there are "mono mimics" too, so perhaps I caught one of those.

Me too! Not long to wait which is good, don't want to go ER again, they'll probably start thinking I'm insane. lol

That sucks! Losing your voice must be terrible. :-( Hope it doesn't last too long for you and you get it back soon. smile I've got a prescription tucked in my wallet for amoxicillin that I've been tempted to try, just to see if it improves any of my symptoms, but I don't want to take anything unnecessarily. 

Me too!

Quick update for today:

* Feeling better "in myself" this morning, but woke up sweating again last night which still worries me.

* Also had some heartburn - (Wine, really need to kick this habit!)

* Slight "twinge" in my right abdomen again.

* Feel cold, but it is cold so that's not helping. 

Positives:

* No dry mouth this morning.

* I have no itchiness, apart from an odd one here or there. (AKA Normal)

* Checked weight, put a couple pounds back on - should be a good sign I think!

* Hands still working, unlike when I ended up in the ER

* Legs feel more like they belong to me than they did too

* Arthritis-like pain I had last week seems to have disappeared

* Probably a few others.

All-in-all feeling okay right now, but I seem to get worse as the day progresses, so will see how I feel this afternoon. 

Thanks again for checking in Christine! Appreciate it. cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi, 

How are you doing today?

I want to put on weight too. I have no success as I am on a diet, no sugar, no bread, no dairy.

Still have problems with voice, coughing, probably a secondary strep throat or just a col which makes my symptoms worse.

I have mainly fatigue, and gland pain, this annoying chin numbness because of swollen lymph nodes.

hope you have a great day

• Posted

Hey! I'm not doing too badly. Just posted posted an update below. cheesygrin

The main things playing on my mind today are the heartburn/tingles, but I'm sure they will pass soon enough. Had some mild/randomized head ache yesterday too, seemed to be moving about to different regions every few minutes.

6 days to doctors appointment, should have enough pills to last me until then. lol

• Posted

When you say gland pain, do you have any nodes still are swollen beyond the "bean size"? I keep finding nodes, but they're not painful, movable, and aren't growing/swelling or anything either.

I've been trying to change my diet too! Drinking lots of different teas and supplementing etc. Haven't managed to cut down on carbs too much yet though, really need to do that!

• Posted

Hi,

How are you doing now? Me too having lot stress, anxiety, dry mouth, little swollen tonsils and low grade fever.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.