symfony lens and blurred vision

Posted , 10 users are following.

I recently had symphony lens' in both eyes  - operations were 2 weeks apart with the second being 5 days ago. My reading vision is fine but starts to go into soft focus looking across the room and beyond. Walking down the street - most things are out of focus so driving is not possible. The surgeon made adjustments to the calculations after the first eye to give the second greater distance but it  seems about the same. The surgeon said I had vey small eyes and so maybe that is why the refraction is out. I also had this procedure duet to closed angle glaucoma rate than cataract.

Has anyone else had this outcome and did it rectify itself as I appreciate it is still early days - or did you have further procedures?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry to learn the vision issues, which you are having.

Do you know what your eye prescription is and what your corrected vision is for each eye (corrected vision means the best you could see with the glasses) at the time of your eye examination after the cataract surgeries. Your eyes may have changed somewhat since then, but that is still a good starting point to try to understand what your vision issue may be.

Even if the doctor did not give you that information, that should be in your records and they should be able to give that to you (even on the phone)

• Posted

Hi 201

Thanks for your comments. 

I don't have a record of my prescriptions but the surgeon checked and re-checked the measurements and said it was coming out exactly right. The lens was also in the correct place and the eye itself healing well. If other people have had a similar experience it would be helpful to know if the vision did come good after a few weeks. I will be talking to the surgeon as I will need to figure out what/when I can use glasses as otherwise going back to work and generally getting around is difficult as everything over a couple of metres away is out of focus.  

Many thanks

• Posted

I had 2 Symfony lenses a year ago (first surgery) and could see well within 24 hours.   I know healing varies from person to person but if you are able to see clearly at near/intermediate but blurry for distance I would too guess the power calculation is off and you could be more nearsighted than intended target.  You could gain either way about .25 diopter as the IOL heals and shifts in healing process (about 6 weeks).

• Posted

Thanks  - what's disappointing is that the surgeon made adjustments for the second eye following the results of the first and yet I appear to have the same outcome - so far. Maybe it needed a much larger adjustment or maybe it will come good. I guess I just have to wait a few weeks and see what happens. 

Thanks for your comments. 

• Posted

Hopefully it will clear up- if not some premium packages include lasik enhancement.

I had a 6 week wait between surgeries and do think surgeons should wait to know what exact prescription is in first eye before proceeding with 2nd surgery.  Especially important with premium lenses as the expectation of a patient for these is to be glasses free (or at very least less dependant on them).  Otherwise people wouldn’t spend the money and go with monofocals which expense is completely covered by NHS.

• Posted

I just did my first eye with Symfony lens about 5 days ago. Im having similar issue. I can see great (with that eye) the near and intermediate but my distance is worse. But most of all , I have a slight blurriness on the side of the eye. It's just very annoying. Im just hoping that I need to heal longer. It kind of feels like I have something like dirt in my eye. Let me know how you are doing now. Did you do more surgery or did it go away.?

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Kaya,

My left eye, the second one that they made adjustments for, is better but I do need glasses for distance albeit a very weak prescription. The surgeon said to do nothing further for a year as it could improve slightly when my brain has worked out that my left eye has to be the dominant one now.

My eyes were gritty for a while and eventually it subsided and just happens occasionally now when my eyes get tired.

All in all I'm happy as I don't need glasses for reading or around the house and I had my eyes done for glaucoma which has completely gone and pressure reduced to normal.

I'm seeing the surgeon around May time after 9 months to review as he is interested where my vision eventually lands.

Hope this helps

All the best.

• Posted

If you feel that you have something in your eye is could be related to the condition of the cornea. I had that and was told after eight weeks of complaining that it was a tear film disfunction. I got Hylo Forte from the chemist which are available without a prescription.

• Posted

Did it help? also, it's not a gritty feeling just feels like there is an obstruction. the night vision has improved. I had horrible rings around lights. I also have trouble with florescent lighting - mostly when i enter a store . Right now i only have one lens in. Waiting a to see next step. Doctor says its no rush so we are trying a contact lens on the second eye for distance. we think if we do the other eye with symfony lens, it might make it too hard to drive at night and i might lose the rest if my distance vision. so i'm in an experimental stage. I am dissappointed because i thought i was getting the best vision possible in all distances. but on the pro side. i havent used glasses in 5 weeks. love that!

• Posted

It did help but it was recommended by the consultant. I only use it now if my eyes get uncomfortable. I get rings around lights but do not drive. Your consultant should have told you about that.

• Posted

Hi Kaya13

Yes not an easy decision for 2nd eye. If you don't have a cataract affecting your vision a contact lens is the way to go.

i have 2 symfony lenses implanted more than a year ago. have great day vision - even reading. Haven't worn glasses at all. Nights I do see concentric circles. Early months glare was bad but I have learned to adapt and do drive at night. Some people opt to go with a standard lens for 2nd surgery so as not to compromise night vision as much.

Wishing you the best.

• Posted

I might do that if the large circle (lens edge) does not go away. Standard lens for near in the other eye. My problem is near vision not that great especially at night and one large circle around each light in dim lit areas like country roads.

• Posted

does that clear up when you use the drops to constrict pupils? I believe the standard lenses are same diameter as Symfony. Although at least you'd avoid the concentric circles of Symfony. I wonder why the IOLs are all a specific diameter of 6mm? You'd think by now simeone would have manufacturerd some a bit larger. Particularly if patients are younger and younger and edge glare an issue.

I did get the light catching on edge of 2nd surgery but that has diminished with time. It used to catch me by surprise and I would think something was moving in my peripheral vision.

• Posted

That's a good question and the problem will follow to the standard lens. I am not bothered too much by the concentric circles. I was thinking more along the lines of getting "great" near vision. I have also wondered if the Zeiss haptics that extend beyond the lens prevent edge glare.

I have not used the drops so far but the glare and large circle clears as soon as turn the lights on. While walking I carried Halloween light stick and as soon as a circle appeared I flashed the stick around my face and the large circle was gone. Mostly because of pupil constricting.

• Posted

Interesting way to temp fix the issue at night walking. Reminds me of when I used to drive with the interior dome light on in my car. That's gotten a little better for me and I no longer drive with interior lights on. Notice it now when I wake in the night and see a glow around clock or pvr . I prefer sleeping in pitch dark so if there ate no other lights on I do see a glow around those lights. Likewise with ability to read definitely good lighting makes all the difference. Also color of print seems to matter. Find it hard to read white on a red or green background (small tiny print like on a tube of ointment or pill bottle). Best is always black print on white.

I wonder if reading differences between people is also related to diameter of one's pupils even in normal light conditions. If that is the case surgeons may be able to assess which candidates could be less glasses dependent based on those measurements. Although it is also a factor of cornea shape etc too. But cannot help but think there are good predictors that should indicate outcomes for patients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.