Symptoms I am having, they have me worried sick

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well, guys - it's little, ol' anxious me again.

Before I begin, I feel I should tell you all that my anxiety only began a couple of months ago, so it's still relatively new to me. So, please forgive me during this post if I sound ignorant or naive when it comes to certain things.

So, my anxiety stems from health and worrying that there is something constantly wrong with me. It has almost become an obsession. Any twinge, anywhere in my body, sends me into a tail spin. Then, my brain latches on to that twingle, I get anxious about said twinge, and then said twingle is with me each and every single day. Also, I tend to assume the worst when it comes to a symptoms. For example, if I had a headache, I wouldn't think 'oh, gosh, I have a headache', I'd think 'OH, GOSH, I HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR!' And I am presenting it in a slightly comedic way, but believe me it is anything but funny when it actually happens. 

And what's weird is that sometimes symptoms of my anxiety are present when I don't feel particularly anxious. I guess I was ignorant in that I always associated anxiety with visible panic. Is it possible you can be anxious without really realizing it? 

Symptoms that I am currently experiencing that are really frightening me are all to do with my head. It's horrible, and I keep worrying that I have a brain tumor or that I have motor neuron disease (the latter really began to scare me because my shoulder hurts, and apparently your arms and shoulders are the first to go). I am only 27, and I am crippled with fear that there is something really wrong with me. I am going to do my best to describe what is happening with me, and I hope that my mind could be put to rest. I am going to apologize in advance, because these descriptions are going to be atrocious. 

So, it varies - sometimes my sinuses feel blocked, and I am unable to breathe through my nose. It can feel like my head is congested, or that pressure-y feeling when you are on an aeroplane. I don't have headaches, there is no 'pain', it's a strange feeling. My mum told me that tension headaches aren't always associated with pain, and that it could be that because I am so on edge and anxious. Now, here's where it gets weird...

A few days ago, I felt this little naggy feeling on the top of my head. Now, my hair is shaved off, so I'm able to run my hand over my head quite easily. I couldn't feel any sore points on the exterior - I thought maybe it was a little pimple on my head, or maybe a little ingrowing hair. Nothing. So, I'm assuming it is coming from inside my head. It feels like there is this little nagging "pain" (again, it doesn't really hurt, it's more annoying) at the top of my brain (I know that sounds crazy); is this something that happens during a tension headache? I know the muscles can tighten, which could by the top of my head is feeling the most sensitive.

Also, the little pulse in my temples are constantly throbbing around and popping up to say hello, sending me into a frenzy.

Someone help me!!!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oops, I forgot to mention - currently I am taking Mirtazapine 15mg. These are the first anti-depressants I have ever taken, and I am taking them more for anxiety and to help me sleep. I don't feel depressed, and my mood is generally alright. I guess the mirtazapine has helped a bit, because I used to literally freak myself to the point that I would cry, I would have panic attacks, I would call the call-out doctor. I don't do that anymore, I don't lose control, but I definitely wouldn't say I feel 'calm' - there is still some anxiety. The problem is I like the mirtazapine cause it helps me sleep.
    • Posted

Mirtazapine didn't work for me and I piled the weight on really quick but I do know people it's really worked for so stick with it. I had lots of side effects too so stopped taking after 4 months. I can't take any meds for this reason so that's why I'm now going down alternative routes.
    • Posted

Oh, I love the Mirtazapine. It helps me sleep and I have experienced no side effects whatsoever. I just wish it helped a little more with my anxiety. In some ways it has, but I don't feel like I am completely there.
    • Posted

Just persevere. These things take time. Good luck I hope it helps u get back on track! 😊
    • Posted

I know. smile I have been trying my best to remain patient, but sometimes it's just so frustrating. I'll get there in the end, though. I refuse to be broken. 
  • Posted

I'm constantly thinking there's something wrong with me... First, it was that I thought I was going to have a heart attack, then a brain tumor, and now, my main thing is, worrying about having a stroke. My family suffers from heart issues, on my dad's side..BAD! So, naturally I'm worried. I keep having my fingers and arms go numb & tingly. I also, get that tingly, tightening band feeling around my head, ALL THE TIME. I've been getting migraines, almost everyday. A week ago, they were happening everyday, for 2 week's straight. They stopped happening so much, so I've neglected to keep reminding my mom to pick up my prescriptions for them. I also, need to go up to the health clinic nearby, to schedule an appointment for therapy, which I need oh so desperately. My mom just hasn't wanted to take me up there, and you can't schedule an appointment over the phone now... I have some minor OCD tendendencies, but I also have Harm OCD more than moderately (that's the main reason why I feel like I'm going to "snap"). I have severe anxiety, as well, so I'm constantly feeling like nothing is right, or real. sad
    • Posted

Thank you for replying, Kayla. Weird as it sounds, it helps just to know that you are not alone, and that there are people who have been where you are and felt with what you are feeling. Anxiety is such a vicious circle; the symptoms you experience are brought on by anxiety, and then those symptoms make you feel anxious, and it just goes around and around and around. It's extremely tiresome.
  • Posted

Hi David.  Interesting post and I hope you are feeling better.  When I got out of the service a long time ago I was having many of the symptoms you described and I had months of group therapy on and off for several years.  We had a psychologist who said we taught ourselves to worry about things to distract us from what was really bothering us.  His method was to teach ourselvs how to not worry.  There is an old saying about facing our fears.  First we have to know what it is we are afraid of. right?  If it wqs a fear of dying in a car accident we can avoid cars and be called eccentric.  Fear of flying is an oredinary fear.  I have it.

There is an indian remedy for a headache and that is to stand in an ant bed for awhile and the headache will soon be forgotten.

Does this make sense?  When we fear for our life we are saying I am afraid of dying.  It isn't rational unless you have a symptom.  So our minds will manifest all kinds of symptoims to prove we are not being irrational.  So the trick is to teach yourself that all is well.  That you do not have a brain tumor.  Our brains are like a record-old vinyl records with rrooves.  This is how we memorize things.  we make grooves along our frontal lobes so tiny it takes a microscope to see them-anyway that doesn't matter.  If we keep saying we are going to die the grooves get deeper and deeper.  Sop we have to erase them.  We say:  I am well I feel good. we say words like tranquility, serenity, peacefulness-over and over and over while breathing in through our noses and out our mouths.  When negative thoughts try to come in we push them away.  Slowly-step by step these fears will leave us. Positive thught always wins over negative thought if we just keep telling ourselves we are fine.  Remember David.  There are no what ifs-there is only now.  You thought you were going to die yesterday and here you are today.  You thought you were going to die day before yesterday but you didn't.  Be here now-breathe deep and say:  All is well-I am well-over and over and over and you have to believe it as those positive grooves manifest and those negative ones melt away.

okay?  try it-you have nothiing to lose but your fear.  Next step-find a good  therapist who can help you find out why you are manifesting fear of death.  thats what counselors do and why we sometimes need help from them when the record gets stuck-like a song that we can't get out of our heads.  Good luck-Frank

• Posted

Frank, I can't even put into words how much your post meant. I have taken some helpful tips from it and I plan to put them into effect. Thank you so much for replying. There are times when I feel just fine, where I know I am fine and don't worry about things. And then there are times when I am convinced that something's up, and it throws me out of control and into a tail-spin. Often, my nearest and dearest tell me to "stop thinking like that", and my answer is always "I wish I could". Sometimes I feel like I don't know how to chase the bad thoughts away.
    • Posted

you are very welcome David.  Remember:  We are what we think we are.  With out thoughts we make our world.  Think positively and positive things will happen.  When a bad thought pops in cover it with a good thought.  I know it sounds so simple and it really is.  Even a smile causes our bodies to release good hormones.  So smile, smile, smile..  Don't forget soothing words.  Soothing words are my magic words-like a good spell they bring us peace and comfort, comfort and peace.  I like to sit and breathe in through my nose then while exhaling through the mouth say a soothing word as the air is expelled.  Deep cleansing breaths relax us and chase bad thoughts away.  Our hearts slow down and All is Well.

have a good night

• Posted

Hi David...Oh ur symptoms are so so typical of anxiety! I've had health anxiety since I was little but more so cardiophobia for the last 27 years 😖 I remember when I was 12 I was CONVINCED I had a brain tumour and no one could convince me otherwise so I know just how I feel. I'm now 47 lol and guess what?...no tumour! However my thing now is a bad heart. The thing is the symptoms though. I get ALL of the symptoms u mentioned with anxiety. My face even goes numb. I get crawly, tingling, tight, squeezing sensations quite often but I'm just so used to them now they don't scare me as much a lot of the time. It's the muscles in yr head and body reacting to the chemical changes in ur body and the whole fight or flight thing. I also don't need to feel especially anxious to get symptoms but that's how it goes because u think ur doing ok and the amygdala in ur brain says oh hang on, remember when I had that panic/anxiety attacks?? And it repeats the process. I feel for u, it's horrendous to feel this way
    • Posted

So, then, what do people like us do, Paula? You said you have been suffering from this for 27 years? Does that mean it never goes away? I dread experiencing this for one more day, let alone years! 
    • Posted

I've had a couple of years at a time where I've felt better and able to go to work and have a much better quality of life but the heart phobia has always been lurking on my shoulder. The last two and half years though have been horrendous. I've attempted suicide twice but was found and I'm pleased now despite still being really incapacitated with it because of my family. I just keep living in hope. God what I wouldn't give to not have this broken record repeating itself in my head! Can't wait for Mon and my first NLP session. Bring it on!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.