symptoms of high bloodpressure

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all, just wondering what symptoms people have experienced with high BP, I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago and have since developed a phobia of the BP machine! I am awaiting phobia councelling but as I cannot take a reading then I am relying on symptoms, my bp was 200 / 110! but also had a reading of 129/78 when relaxed. I suffered headache daily and had sinus pain and dry blood in my nose but never a nose bleed! I take ramapril but some days worry its high as I feel lightheadedness and have developed an eye floater but had eyes checked and all fine, I would appreciate hearing what symptoms others experience

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks guys for all the replies, it's great that we can all support each other! I do have my own bp monitor but I became so obsessed with making myself take it daily that my family banned it! I got worked up at the thought of taking it then I took it and it was very high so I had a panic attack! This happened for ages, when my family removed it, I was actually so relieved. I can rationalise that my fears are bonkers and I know that it's in my best interest to check it, I may need to increase my meds, but I just can't do it! I went for the 24hrs monitor and the nurse took ages and told me that the machine won't work because my bp was so high! so that has made me worse! Every headache I get I think it is my bp!
    • Posted

That is what happens to me.  If I take it at home & it is too high then it goes higher because I get frightened.   I fear a stroke . My first sighn of high BP was I woke up with a pounding headache & very woozy.  Thtat was 6 months after my mother passed away.  And that was years ago.  But anxiety is such a curse really.  I adds on more trouble right?
    • Posted

Hi there, i'm sort of 'glad' that I am finding I am not the only person becoming anxious about taking my BP readings at home!  They were so high yesterday I became frightened and I dont want to ever take the readings again, unless someone is there with me!  I want to be able to take the readings as part of my own health measures and as a way of being responsible for my health decisions.  I wonder if a high reading is just my body's way of telling me i have to take meds anyway!  Good luck everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.