Synthroid - generic vs. name brand

Posted , 21 users are following.

I was recently switched to the name brand of Synthroid after taking the generic for 20 + years. I really didn't notice any side effects from the generic but since switching to the name brand I have begun having hot flashes and night sweats (I'm WAY past menopause) and I feel anxious, moody, my foot is constantly moving when I'm sitting and recently I noticed I'm clenching my teeth. Has anyone had this experience when going from the generic to the name brand?

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

Yes I have really bad sweats day and night to the point that I just cannot stand it. !!!

Also I have a constant runny nose and my throat seems to have permanent phlegm at the back of my throat since taking this medication ?.

Apart from that my body seems to have got used to the medication.

• Posted

Thanks, Carole. Have you tried both the generic and name brand? Do you have the same problems? I never associated the runny nose with it before, but I have a constant drip from mine.
    • Posted

Hi Vickie

I'm on Levothyroxine and I also take kelp tablets which was advised by Healthspan as I've been with them for years . They are very reasonable in price and very reliable!!

Carole x

• Posted

They tried switching me twice. Both times felt like gagging shortly after I took it. Not to cool when u ditch around the corner in the morning like your gonna puke on a big construction site. Synthroids not for me. Its not for everyone. My doc kept telling me how it was supposed to be more stable. Not for me
    • Posted

Hi Carole, I was on Eltroxin Levothyroxine and have also tried generic ones and like you had a constant runny nose, a feeling of blocked throat which caused me to cough all the time trying to clear it - a nightmare when eating! - as well as other symptoms. When my chemist was unable to get my Eltroxin they got me a brand called Rosemont. Well what a transformation!  immediately the blocked throat, cough, ruunny nose etc disappeared and I felt so much better. I told my doctor and asked if I could stay on Rosement but of course she was sceptical so I agreed to go back on Eltroxin to test. Immediately the symptoms returned but I carried on for 2 months until I could bear it no longer. Doctor agreed I could return to Rosemont and stay on it, and once again these side affects disappeared. The difference between Rosemont and the others is that Rosemont has only ONE ingredient apart from the Levothyroxine whereas the others have a list as long as your arm, so clearly there is something in the others which I am allergic to. Try Rosemont for yourself and see if your syptoms disappear too- insist with your doctor as Rosemont is more expensive. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi daisy thank you for your reply. I am going back to the doctors on Thursday as I am feeling exactly like I did before I was on medication, it's as if I don't take Levothyroxine anymore??.

I am having all sorts of problems like acute tiredness, lethargic.headaches, having stomach problems,depression again!!the list goes on!!

I will certainly ask the doctor if he will try me in these tablets you suggested?, and see what he says??

Thanks again

Carole

• Posted

Hi Daisy57 Could you tell me if the Roesemont levothyroxine is liquid or a tablet? I am having issues trying to get the Martindale purified brand that has only the thyroxine and calcium carbonate in, and it's brilliant, I have been really well for the first time. My GP has had her hand slapped and been told to prescribe me a liquid thyroxine that I think is the Eltroxin brand that loads of people are having a problem with. Any info you could give me would be appreciated ie. what are the excipients. Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Jacquie2830- the Rosemont is liquid levothyroxine (called levothyroxine sodium oral solutiion) and has only one other ingredient other than the levothyroxine and needs to be stored in the fridge. Do not take Eltroxin (I think it has been discontinued anyway) as it has many additives which seem to be the cause of all the side effects. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi Daisy Thanks for coming back to me, really panicking now as meds run out this weekend! Was your GP able to prescribe this or was it a private prescription? Sorry to hassle but my time is runnig out to get this sorted.
    • Posted

Hi Jacquie, the GP is able to prescribe this but has to be a handwritten perscription as Rosemont is not on their computer list. It is 125mg in 5ml and comes in 150ml bottles. The chemist needs a couple of days to get it though.
    • Posted

Thanks Daisy. That's out then, as that's why she couldn't supply the Martindales one after the board slapped her hand :-( The whole thing is ridiculous when I/she/consultant all know I am well on Martindales purified without any excipients!! 
    • Posted

ask anyway, you never know Rosemont might be cheaper than Martindales. Good luck
    • Posted

I started taking Synthroid 0.025 mcg 8 weeks ago, and experience episodes of anxiety rolleyes heart race / and this dripping in the back of my throat! Sometimes I feel like I have a ball of phlegm, dizzie while being in stores but I don't feel like I'm spinning just yesterday I went to visit my Endo due to blood test results he bumped up my dose to 0.050 mcg but what I saw is that is not Synthroid, now I got the generic brand Levo... Hope it works...
    • Posted

Yes, my Mom has the constant runny nose, permanent phlegm at the back of the throat also.  Thought it was her allergies.  Also, had gained about 20 pounds, but PHARMACY picks if the doctor doesn't tell them exactly which one they want.  This last time the pharmacy didn't give Mom the Synthroid because the doctor didn't "specify".  We will see if it helps.  Had NO idea that these side effects were like this.  Wow!  They switch her back and forth if I don't watch them.  (We just switched doctors.)  I didn't know any better until I read these posts today.

• Posted

Synthroid contains a bunch of additives, including acacia. Acacia. Just about the most allergy inducing plant possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.