Synthroid - generic vs. name brand

Posted , 21 users are following.

I was recently switched to the name brand of Synthroid after taking the generic for 20 + years. I really didn't notice any side effects from the generic but since switching to the name brand I have begun having hot flashes and night sweats (I'm WAY past menopause) and I feel anxious, moody, my foot is constantly moving when I'm sitting and recently I noticed I'm clenching my teeth. Has anyone had this experience when going from the generic to the name brand?

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'll have to try the kelp. I'm thinking I may ask my doctor to switch me back to the Levothyroxine instead of the Synthroid at my next appointment. Thanks so much for your help!
  • Posted

There is more levothyrox in the generic ; your symptoms tell you that. You must lower the dosage.
  • Posted

Hi, It does sound like you are perhaps slightly overmedicated but I'm not a doctor. I live in NZ and I am now very well on Synthroid...took a while to get levels just right for me but my doctor treats my symptoms rather than focusing solely on Lab results. What I can tell you is that my Pharmacist was very clear that you need to stick to one brand and if you are changing it can cause a whole lot of side effects and needs close monitorng. I'm wondering if it's the switch that is causing you the problems rather than Synthroid specifically if you see what I mean? Also please can you tell me if you were prescribed Synthroid in the UK? I am returning end of 2014 and I am already anxious about having to switch to a new brand. I'm hoping Synthroid is prescribed over there. I wish you well with your thyroid health...it is awful being either over or under medicated. Good Luck
    • Posted

Interesting about the switching. Wonder if u start on one u should just stay on it. Tried switching twice but I couldnt deal with the synthroid
    • Posted

That's pretty  much what pharmacist advised. The potency and also the fillers can vary from one to another. I've only ever had Synthroid and it took forever to get things just right. I'm hoping it lasts. I almost gave up and my doc was considering natural throid meds. Were you prescribed Synthroid in UK? I'm trying to find out if I will need to switch when I return. What do you take now and is it working?

• Posted

Hello Vicki- I was completely unableto take Synthroid, most likely because it contains several allergy inducing contstituents. While onthe Synthroid I was so sick I couldn't get out of bed.  I also Levoxyl and did better on that, but when it was pulled off the market, I went to a compounded levothyroxin. it took a year and a half to get it to the right dose, and I was constantly tired, in pain and extremely bloated. The whole time, I was experiencing the "thyroid flashes" you're talking about, though not so much at night. They are different from hot flashes: hot flashed make your cheeks warm, theyroid flashed make the back of your neck hot. The thyroid flashed went away for me when I switched medications to a NDT, and was finally on a high enough dose. I suspect the thyroid flashes are caused by the thyroid gland overworking, due to meds being too low.
    • Posted

I am interested in how you got your thyroid under control. Just recently switched to generic and having problems.  Are you using OTC remedies?
    • Posted

Hi Diane- Yes. The OTCs from health stores only help for severe thyroid disease if you're already on thyroxin. 

There are two good bovine OTCs that I know of: American Biologics, and Thyrogold. 

Those of us who've gone this OTC natural bovine route have found these better after trying all the prescription meds... You have to take a lot of the natural OTC because these are not a refined dessicated thyroid, more bulky. But they are organic and the dosing is as consistent or more than the prescriptions. 

Prescriptions are allowed a 10% variation on the dosage from the label, so you can get a much as 20% variation between lots. I found this impossible to deal with. The OTCs seem to be more consistent.

• Posted

I just recently switched to the generic and now realize I have been very allergic to the brand name, Synthroid.  I have gained over 20 pounds, had severe foot pain and have felt heavy all over my body.  Since switching to the generic, I feel so much better and my foot pain is gone.  It has only been a few days so we shall see if the weight comes off.
  • Posted

I notice changes when the pharmacy even change the generic brands for something different - I've asked them to give me the same even if it's the cheapest, but they can't always do that! sad
    • Posted

Oh dear. Switching thyroid meds can really wreak havoc on your system. Most pharmacies know this and are pretty careful about it. Go to a different pharmacy!
  • Posted

I have been on Generic Synthroid for 2 years... My Skin has become disgusting.. The HOT Flash Sweating Profusely is terrible.. I was having lady issues every time I went in the shower.. It was BURNING when the Soap hit my vaginal area.. I finally went to the Dr. Now I have NOT had Sex in MONTHS.. Like 8... The Dr. Thought it was an ulcer... or Herpes.. HERPES????? Some sort of STD... Well I carried on saying I am not with anyone.. Bla Bla Bla... Turns out Cultures are NEGATIVE like I told the DR... Turns out it is my Synthroid doing Terrible things to me and my Skin.. I used to have Silky smooth Skin.. Now I can't Tweeze my eyebrows.. I get like red blistery welts.. My Dr. Thought I was getting them waxed and the place gave me STAPH.. NOPE... I am Compulsively CLEAN... NO waxing... Only Tweeze.... I HATE YOU SYNTHROID...
    • Posted

Hi Jenn, I completely understand! This Sh*t doesn't work! I used to have the most beautiful, soft silky skin!!!

If you can think straight, maybe my story will save you some trouble or at least give you some ideas for what could work for you.

You'll need to

1. get your thyroid back on track.

2. get your hormones back on track.

3. Get your digestive tract healthy.

I had been on the NDT for a while, and had been having difficulties with it, so my doc switched me to synthroid, which was so bad I  couldn't get out of bed, had migrains so bad, I feared I would have a seizure, gained massive amounts of weight in a very short time period. I'm talking 10 pounds a month!. Not only does this med NOT work, it shows in the blood, as if it does work, then you still get all the synptoms of low thyroid, and all the horrible side effects. Synthroid contains a bunch of additives that are allergenic- acacia, dies, fillers- that are extremely harmful to many thyroid patients. Acacia is used asa preservative, you know that big, pretty flowering tree that causes everyone to have major allergies when they're in bloom? Can't think of something worse to put in a medication for people with thyroid disease, which is auto-immune, Graves or Hashimoto's.

The synthroid was so bad, so my doctor put me on levoxyl, which still didn't work right, then a compounded, which also didn't work. I spent a year trying to get the dose right and in the end, T4 was way too high and T3 was too low and I felt like crap, had gained nearly 40 pounds and had massive water retention and auto-immune, fibromialgia symptoms, low progesterone, spotty periods, etc.

I switched back NDT, treated the spotty periods and low progesterone with bladderwrack, which also helps the thyroid, as well as vitex. for a few months. This helped, and I was starting to feel better for a while, until I got the dose right, almost... except, then my T3 was too high and the T4 was too low... Too high T3 causes panic attacks and too low T4 causes severe brain fog. Yikes! You don't want your brain to attrophy!!!! I still had the water retention and inflammation, but less than on the levothyroxin. I was afraid to try some of the OTCs because I am on a very high dose of medication... But it became clear that none of the prespcription options are bioidentical. and in fact, there is no bioidentical thyroid med- WTF!? Some are better than others, is all.

I spent two days researching OTCs and found one to try. I started a week ago with it and feel so much better, it's amazing! I had virtually no transition symptoms with the OTC, whereas with the others, especially on or off the levo/synthroid, I was confined to bed for 4 days during the medication transition, both on and off.Now, on the OTC, , every morning I wake up with less water retention. I realize now that in all likelihood, the NDTs are cut with synthetics because I had the same reaction the them, as the levo, but to a lesser extent. I am hopeful that this new med will work, along with the herbs to rebalance the hormones and an excellent acupuncturist to help get the body back on track. I'll try the OTC for a year if it seems to be working. If it doesn't continue to work, I don't know what I'll try.

When your thyroid gets out of whack, your hormines go all wonky. The hot flashes you're feeling could be your thyroid overwoking itself (if so, the back of your neck will be hot, but your cheeks will be cool) or it could be the rest of your endocrine system getting exhasuted. You likely have adrenal exhaustion and low progesterone, since that's the pattern with low thyroid. Ic an PM message you with the name of the book I used that helped me figure out what herbs to take to get the adrenals and progesterone back on track.

You'll also need to clean up your diet extensively, since your digestive tract is a large part of the immune system, so if unhealthy, can contribute to problems.

Hope my story helps. Feel free to PM me if you need specifics for anything. Barbara, who is also on this site, has a lot of experience and is very helpful as well.

Catherine 

• Posted

What is the OTC that you are or were taking? Are you still taking it? How has it been working? I'm 5 to 6 weeks on synthroid, I'd much rather be on something all natural. I am feeling way worse than when I started taking the medicine. I'm going tomorrow to have my levels tested. Until reading on here i didn't realize how so many symptoms relate to what others have said and didn't put them together. This isn't working for me.

• Posted

Hi Tamila,

im on American Biologics Bovine glandular. I've heard ThyroGold is also very good.

Way better after 6 months on this. I could literally smell the toxic chemical if the other meds as they detoxed out of my system for 4 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.