Synthroid - generic vs. name brand

Posted , 21 users are following.

I was recently switched to the name brand of Synthroid after taking the generic for 20 + years. I really didn't notice any side effects from the generic but since switching to the name brand I have begun having hot flashes and night sweats (I'm WAY past menopause) and I feel anxious, moody, my foot is constantly moving when I'm sitting and recently I noticed I'm clenching my teeth. Has anyone had this experience when going from the generic to the name brand?

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi my joints seemed to bother me on synthroid. I was so excited to try it because it's suppose to be great.

My T4 was the same still T3 low, so i decided I should go back to levothyroxine with T3 or should I lower synthroid and see if that helps and with adding T3, Has anyone tried naturethroid with a little Cytomel?

gracefulone

• Posted

I was on Naturethroid a few years ago and it was ok then. I was on it more recently and had problems because it contains lactose. I switched to WP, made by the same company but doesn't contain allergens, and still had problems. 

I finally switched to an organic OTC glandular and have been feeling better. Unfortunately, the two years on the other crap has caused so much damage that recovery is really slow for me. 

Good luck.

Catherine

• Posted

Can I get I get this OTC glandular from an MD. I live in Orego, does Rite Aide Parmacy have it. Do most doctors know about it. What is exact name and what is the equivalent to 100 mcg of levothyroxine???
    • Posted

I think the brand name cytomel is ok, a little with my t4, I wonder if I am making a mistake trying to stay on synthroid. How bad is if to switch back and forth from genetic to brand name?

gracefulone

• Posted

My pharmacist has never heard of the drug?They dispense Armour and naturethroid!

gracefulone

• Posted

Hi Gracefulone, you'll have to order from an online distributor. I use American Biologics thyroid  (bovine) glandular, 130mg.

keep in mind the prescription in a concentrated from pigs (porcine), and this is unrefined bovine (cow). The bovine T3-T4 ration is much more similar to the human ratio than porcine, so it can help people get the T4 and T3 blood work in better ranges: the levo is T4 only, so on high doses, you get too high T4, with low T3: the porcine NDT has a higher %T3 than humans, so you get high T3 levels and T4 is low.

I was on a dose of 200mcg of the NDT, and I'm taking 8 of the 130mg OTC per day. So the unrefined stuff is a lot more bulky than the prescription stuff.

a friend of mine was on 50 of the NDT and she takes three of the 130mg bovine OTC (different brand).

I'd be curious to know what other people find works for dosing on the unrefined OTC bovine.

• Posted

Did you doctor have to write the prescription or does a naturopath write the prescription???
  • Posted

If I take the BRAND NAME I break out in HORRIBLE pimples on my chin. I hold water also. And nights sweats are awful.
  • Posted

My daughter was put on Levothyroxine alomost 2 months ago and has the sweats even her feet sweat but what concerns me is her blood test show her thyroid is under control but she is gaining weight. Has anyone had this problem. Thank u
    • Posted

YES, and worse. I blew up like a balloon, the side effects outweighed any benefit, I have developed severe spinal arthritis  and fibromiagya, and my previously non growing thyroid cyst trippled in size since starting this medication. I was on it for two and a half years. It destroyed my health, so I am on a different medication, and trying to recover.
    • Posted

Karen, you should be able to read the previous comments in this thread. Check them out to see if there's some helpful information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.