Synvisc injections ? Yes or No ?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all.,  Still in heaps of  pain  & looking at options. I went   for  my  2nd opinion  today from another  orthopaedic  surgeon.  I  think he gathered  pretty  quickly  that  I   do  not  wish  to  rush intom a   TKR unless it is  the  last option. He    has suggested a  Synvisc  one   injection   which  can last  for  many patinets   up to  6  months or even longer.  He  said  1/3  patience get  great results. 1/3   get  partial relief of  pain  &  1/3  get    almost no relief. It only  costs   about  $400  or less  out of  pocket  compared  to   $6000   for stem cell therapy  so  I think it  may be  worth a   try.  MY  1st  orthopaedic   surgeon  who  did my arthroscopy  has never mentioned this.  Has anyone has  this  done & did   it hel[ ? 

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I used Synvisc and found it helped . It lasted about 6 months until I went for tkr  .it wasn't the ideal answer but got me through until I could get the surgery

• Posted

Are these the same as cortazone injection?if so i had 2 both very painfull and not 1 of them wjorked.i had to have a tkr and am now 18 wk post op and im ack walking and doing more than i used to.only thing i cant do is kneel..feels like im kneeling on very sharp razors and pins.x
    • Posted

not the same and steroids don't work with knee joints anyway.  That let  me know the facility I went to that suggested that were not very good.  Google Synvisc and see it is a cushioning shot to replace lost cartilege.  Lasted 12 months for me

• Posted

I been getting synvisc injections for well over 10 years. I get the 3 shot series. 1 injection a week for 3 weeks. I think it's great stuff. I have it done every 6 months. Like a lube job for you knee.

• Posted

Absolutely the best thing to try before a TKR.  I had them for 3 years, every six months and it helped me greatly.  Get the 3 seperate injections (one a week)..it's easier to absorb the gel that way.  When they stop working, that is when you are looking at a TKR.  Cortisone injections are a "quick fix" but very temporary thing and they can do damage to the joint if given too frequently.  Good luck

• Posted

For those it helps, I understand it is a miracle. They just shook their heads and said no when I me ruined it. Different problem.....different damage. If you are in the US, some insurance covers part of it ; however Medicare is really a different situation because they want a high % of success for their $$$ and synvisc doesn't deliver. The name refers to synthetic viscosity, a way of building a lubricant. A couple of people's had it until it was no longer effective told me the results were quick and when it worked, lasted over 6 months but when it wasn't going have an effect you knew it because they never got any relief. One guy said it was like putting all your money on red and every number but one was black. That's when he had the tkr. He regretted putting it off but in the back of his mind thought there was a chance he could avoid the knife.

Hope it works for you and lets you buy some time. No need to whack and chop till you have to. Pain level is the key

• Posted

Thanks  everyone -  I expect some of  you may have followed  my story. Today  was the  day  at  the 2nd orthopaedic surgeon   for  another opinion. I  was thrilled  that he offered me other  options  other  that a  TKR   for now, He said is under  67/68  years old  he prefers  to look  at alternatives unless   the patient  says  they have tried everything &  are   out of their mind  with  pain.  My surgeon  who did  the arthroscopy offered me no alternatives.   We also discussed  Stem Cell therapy  but as we know  there is no  full on scientific  evidence   but it   has worked well for a  lot of people. I  thinking that I  am going to  try this  injection  first & if need be proceed to stem cell terapy if I feel the degree of pain required it..

• Posted

I personally would not get that injection being I was talking to a person one day about the different kinds of knee injections & if I am correct that he told me it was a silicone injection he got going under the name you had used..he told me don't get that injection & showed me the after effect within weeks of getting that shot & the side of his knee had a ball the size of a marble that gathered together within weeks from the getting this shot that had a gel silicone substance that now he has to get surgery to have the ball of gel silicone removed...not good...Cortozone shots would be safer way to go & for some cortozone doesn't always kick in right away it can take week or more to start working for a person just to note that to you.. I myself am seeking soon to most likely get a cortozone shot being my knee has been having pain issues for ocer 7 months now walking with a walker & walking on egg shells...problem is also I was told I have CRPS & that if I was to get the shot could cause otger issues with nerves to be set off from the neddle so I must do more research on this though I am eager to get some relief from my knee & hoping to park my walker for good...wish you the best..God bless.

• Posted

Cortisone is a anti inflammatory. Side effects include blood clots. Synvisc in not silicone. It is made from a roosters crown.
    • Posted

FYI...Synvisc is NOT silicone!  If you are allergic to eggs/chicken, than you cannot use this injection. All injections into a joint carry risks, but they are minimal.  Yes, there are exceptions to everything but the big thing is the person administering any injection!  I have had both cortisone and Synvisc.  They usually start out using cortisone until it is no longer is effective for you..than switch to Synvisc which can last as long as six months.  Being an RN, believe me, I researched it thoroughly before getting it.  Only wish that I had done more research on having a TKR and the recovery before I had mine 12 weeks ago.  Recovery is much more than anyone will tell you except physical therapists. Stay with the cortisone or Synvisc for as long as you are able.  
    • Posted

I've not heard the term cprs nor a definition of same. I would be interested in knowing what it is and how it affects the joint.

• Posted

Hello, CRPS is complex regional pain syndrome, it can effect a person at any age can get it from an injury to the arm, knee, wrist, leg, joints basically any part of the body & can spread as well to other areas of a persons body, it can also be brought on by strokes or heart attack as well. my situation started from getting out of a sofa I gotten a sharp stabbing knife feeling to the exterior of side of my knee within days I noticed my left foot started to swell then three weeks later other foot began to swell with discoloring redness to feet & to my shins of legs with semi burning feeling as well pin pricking feelings in the feet when swollen with the feeling also of nerves in smaller toes inflamed & of tightness in feet & the knee. there are different symtoms of CRPS that effects in some cases someone can get a very painful feeling if a person is touched on their arms, legs etc..

With mine I must use a walker being it has effected my knee joint in a crippling way that I can get horrific jabbing pains to anywhere of the knee, as well very much tightness that pulls on my knee being the nerves & ligaments have been effected by CRPS it actually feels like my knee is so fragile & unstable that it feels litterally it is going to give out or snap in half... with an MRI & Xrays I have been told I do have a knee small spur & a moderate wearing on my tracking though was told this really isn't the issue causing my problems, I had asked about getting a cortozone shot but ortho doc says he wouldn't recommend it being it can trigger other issues with the CRPS.

CRPS can stay with someone for several weeks to several months & in worst other cases a few years..for thoughs who have CRPS & myself it is a challenge but I keep pushing on as well with much praying...take care & God bless.

• Posted

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like another of those syrange and unique things no one should have to deal with. I hope they can find something to make life more tolerable.

I'm blessed with one of those rarities, PVNS. The type I have caused major bleeding and ate up the knee. It can surface in any joint and cause unbelievable pain. I've now had 11 surgeries, 30 rounds of radiation and on my 3rd prosthesis in the same knee.

Best of luck to all that have to bear Your unfortunate malaise. I'd sure be skeptical of having another sharp object stuck in my body

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.