Synvisc injections ? Yes or No ?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi all.,  Still in heaps of  pain  & looking at options. I went   for  my  2nd opinion  today from another  orthopaedic  surgeon.  I  think he gathered  pretty  quickly  that  I   do  not  wish  to  rush intom a   TKR unless it is  the  last option. He    has suggested a  Synvisc  one   injection   which  can last  for  many patinets   up to  6  months or even longer.  He  said  1/3  patience get  great results. 1/3   get  partial relief of  pain  &  1/3  get    almost no relief. It only  costs   about  $400  or less  out of  pocket  compared  to   $6000   for stem cell therapy  so  I think it  may be  worth a   try.  MY  1st  orthopaedic   surgeon  who  did my arthroscopy  has never mentioned this.  Has anyone has  this  done & did   it hel[ ? 

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Colleen. I tried it and it didn't help at all. Same with cortisone, several times. Had TKR on Sept. 6. after working in pain for 8 months. I should have had surgery right away. I do know one person who was helped by synvisc shot. It's worth a try. Good luck.

• Posted

I am in the USA...over decades I had 3 knee injections before a TKR in 2000.

Each time a combination of both slow acting steroid and fast acting steroid was injected.

I was advised to be gentle with my knee for 10 days to allow the inflammation to come down before I returned to normal activity.

I

I was cautioned that the fast acting steroid would reduce the pain and try to make me think my knee was ready to rock and roll long before the inflammation was down.

I followed the admonishnents and achieved great results...unfortunately JRA could only be held back for so many decades

• Posted

SynVisc hellped me put off a TKR for a decade.  Then I moved from Jersey to Texas; the warmer climate precluded the need for SynVisc for another six.  Could have put this TKR off for longer by resuming SynVisc but, at 69, decided I'd rather get it done while I was strong enough to do the rehab.

I had the three-shot protocol (days 1, 8 and 15)...lasted almost a year each time.  Some people have different results but, for me, SynVisc was liquid gold!!!

• Posted

Hi Colleen sounds like you've had loads of advise from these lovely people in this group, can I just say please remember that we are all different & no two knees are the same let alone two people. I prolonged my op as long as possible being early 50s i tried every avenue first swimming, weight loss, in the end I decided to have the injections that were done in a clinic under X-ray they were cortisone, so many people told me at the time don't have them , I was going on holiday & had 3wks pain free which felt like heaven. We did loads of walking,  swimming, tours, it felt so good I'm so glad I took the risk. The down fall they only lasted me 4wks & your only allowed 2 which I did . Then I found it wasn't choice if I wanted quality of life I had keyhole last year & Was told I need TKR ? I'd heard so many nightmare stories from so many people , I put it of to this year September & on the morning of my op I was told I could get away with 1/2 knee replacement ! Thank god all went well. So I'm about 8wks post op, I now only wished I did it earlier! So good to be pain free from awful arthritis. I've been back at work 2wks. The pain I have is truma pain that gets better everyday! In other words we are all individuals. Good luck Colleen ! X

• Posted

Hi, I started out first with physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee. This helped quite a bit, but as time went on, I had all the shots that can be had for knee pain (over several years). I put TKR surgery as long as I could, but in the end it was the only option. All the other options are a temporary fix, so somewhere down the road you will probably face TKR. If you can afford it or your insurance will cover it, I'd go with the temporary fixes as long as you can. The TKR is no picnic and will take upwards of a year or better to fully get back to normal. I finally had it done a year and seven months ago and have had no problems with it. BUT it was a long recovery process!!!!!

• Posted

Hi all. Thought I would let  you all know   that I have decided to bite the bullet. I am  going ahead & having the Synvisc injection late this Friday afternoon in the Doctor's surgery. in Australia it costs  $476   & I have been told to expect back   about $100 through our private health fund. I know it  does not work well for everyone but I also know it has worked amazingly well for some people so I am hoping & praying  that I am one of the lucky ones.. Please keep  your fingers & toes crossed for me & say  your prayers  that  it works well for  me & that I get a good degree of pain relief as I am close to the end of my tether.  Both my husband & I have go t to the stage of saying  what cost  can  you put on  good health,   your quality of lifestyle & how long  should  I   be expected  to live with chronic daily pain.  If  possible I wish to delay as long as possible a  TKR &   seriously wish to look at other options.  My first choice or hopes are on this Synvisc injections  & if no degree of success with this I will  be  investigating  further into Stem Cell therapy. As  I said please keep me in your thoughts  late on Friday afternoon, Cheers Colleen

• Posted

Well tomorrow is  D  Day !   Please keep  your  fingers  & toes  crossed for me. I know there is no guarantee  but I  am having my Synvisc injection in my knee in the  late  afternoon.Feeling a  bit nervous  & hoping & praying that it works & gives me  some relief.  I am pinning a  lot of  my hopes on this as I  want to  put off  having  TKR  as long as possible. Not sure  if any other members are in Australia  but the  Synvisc cost $476  in Australia & I have been told we  should get  around $100 back from  our private medical benefits.   If  this doesn't  work  I expect I will be looking  at Stem  cell therapy   that costs  at least $6000  in Australia,  I   am interested to know  what procedures  cost in USA, UK &  elsewhere. I have basically  been told  that  Synvisc is like a  lube  job for the  knee. 

• Posted

Mine is a work related injury. I don't have to pay. Was told my 3 shot series is $1000. Live in the U.S. First shot , to me, is like a cooling sensations. Feels good for a day or so. Second one you feel the relief more as it stays more. First one gets absorbed. Third one stays. By then it feels really good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.