T K R date arrives

Posted , 15 users are following.

Went for my final check today and there was a therapist group discussion about 8 of us having the same surgery over three days.

my surgery is for 18th April wish me luck.rolleyes

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Best wishes for a Successful surgery and excellent recovery! 
  • Posted

Good luck to the Defender.

All wishes

Linda Patricia

NEW ZEALAND

• Posted

I'm guessing you are in the US. I am UK.....we don't get group sessions. Seems like a good idea as long as you don't try & compete during recovery..... you'll need to do it at your own pace. I'm 2 weeks post op & can assure you the mantra 'no pain, no gain' does NOT work. This forum is great &, made me realize that it's ok to elevate & ice rather than push yourself. Good luck! Keep in touch.

• Posted

I am in the UK yes the group session was good.

There was one woman there who was absolutely terrified poor woman.

• Posted

Good luck for the 18th, we'll be here the other side of the op should you need us.

Yep the group sessions are good aren't they? Did you also have the one on one after to see what equipment you will need at home after discharge? 

Are you on the Rapid Recovery Plan? Spinal block instead of GA? It all sounds scary but really isn't, take an iPod or your phone so you can listen to music! I did not want to hear the surgeons talking!

People complain about the NHS & waiting lists, but those of us who have undergone TKR surgery in an NHS hospital/Treatment Centre are the fortunate ones. I was lucky, in that this time around I was only on the waiting list 6 weeks! Probably because a lot of people didn't want major surgery the week before Christmas! 

All the best

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Thanks yes I have no choice it's a local but I believe they give me a sedative just got a phone call got to be there at 7 am looks like I am the first in L O L

• Posted

Yes we had a one on one afterwards and were all given crutches and shown how to use them.

You could also buy a what they called an invisible dog lead it has o loop either end to hook over your foot to lift your leg when getting in bed / bath which i bought very  useful.

• Posted

I have had both spinal block and GA. The spinal block was much better, spent my time listening to music and chatting to the anaesthetist. The first one with the GA took me 3 days to get over the anaesthetic, with the spinal I was back in bed with a cup of tea in a very short time with no after effects. Nothing to worry about it really is the best option. I was out of bed later that evening, started physio next morning. That was almost 20 years ago for my first and 18½ for the other, both still going strong, no problems. Was off work 6 months each time. Good luck and no need to worry.  

• Posted

Hi. Do you mind me asking which health authority? Ifound out about the leg lifter loop by looking on the internet. I ordered one & received it two days ago. It is so useful. I could have done with it as soon as I had had my op. I also have a compression icer pack to reduce swelling & pain. It's very good & well worth the £35. Again, it would have been good to know about it in advance. Well done to your team.

• Posted

That is a very good idea, I bought a yoga stretch strap to do the same plus you can do stretches after exercise once you are doing more muscle rebuilding work. 

The spinal is not as scary as you think it will be, plus side is you are fully awake after & can finally drink & eat!  

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

When I was leaving hospital I was given a Cryo Cuff which is a simple icing system. Used by Rugby players when injured. Available on Amazon. I have been trying to use an elastic type stretchy for bending my knee in the swimming pool. It is not user friendly, if anyone has any suggestions they are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Alan

• Posted

Hey that's good....being first in the morning saves a lot of angst!

Sending you all good wishes!

Read around the forum and know you are not alone... it may offer some encouragement, though you have probably done that already! (Mind you, just before my surgery I had to avoid any reading on TKR because I found I was dwelling on the what could go wrong...which wasn't helpful!)

The vast majority of people do not have complications ....and forums tend to reflect difficulties and problems more than the up side, so keep that in mind!

You can choose older posts by picking through the page numbers shown on the KNEE PROBLEMS main page. Look to the right of the page subtitle "All discussions in this group" and you will see page 1 but flick on the arrow to see other previous pages also.

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It's got a lot of general information in it, and gives you one person's experience right from hospital to the 12 month mark!

• Posted

Oh, suddenly realised its tomorrow!
  • Posted

Best of luck Defender.

I'll say a prayer that all goes well.

Take care,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.