T K R Things we learn from previous ones

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well I am now 4 days post operation on my left T K R had my R T K R in April 2018 I do however remember it's a long journey.

I went in on Wednesday and home Friday.

I was doing good with the walking but after philosophy on the Thursday they got me to go up stairs and down 15 steps and then pushing my knee to 90 degrees and trying straight leg lifts several times before discharging me I now have a knee so swollen I find I struggle to get any bend.

Having gone through this before I am not so concerned as I now know when the swelling goes down the movement increases.

They say not two T K R s are he same this one has been better as I am getting more sleep at night but it's still a brutal operation.

I have to go back in 2 weeks time for physiotherapy and know they will say my lift and bend is not good but this time I know once the swelling subsides it will come back.

at the moment it's like hitting a brick wall

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my TKR 4 weeks ago. The PT came to my house 3 times a week and today was my first outpatient PT. I can straighten my leg easily but bending it is very hard and lifting it straight up while laying down is even harder. Both physical therapists think I'll be fine but I feel like I should be way more advanced by now! I can't drive because it's my right leg and I have trouble lifting it and I get very tired.

• Posted

My second TKR is 4 weeks too, Don't panic it will come. It took me a while last year to be able to bend or lift my keg easily. This one has been much easier which goes to prove no 2 knees are the same even on the same person. Don't compare yourself with anyone else. Your knee will heal in it's own time. Just do what exercises you can that cause some discomfort, but not pain,

• Posted

Yes the bend and the straight leg lift is difficult but it does come I got worried last time we have to do what we can just waking around will strengthen the muscles.

My knee feels weak as if it's going to let me down.

But everyday little by little we will get there.

I am looking forward to the summer when I can get out and about.

• Posted

My pain medication in the hospital was oxycodone but that made me sick so they gave me hydromorphone (*sp) I only took it the first week and now I just take naproxen and tylenol. I can't wait until I can drive!! I've been stuck in the house for a month and I want to get out! It should be soon! I'm supposed to go back to work around March 5th but I'm not sure that's going to happen since I still can't walk right. My knee feel loose inside, when I'm in the car and we go over bumps it jiggles and feels horrible, does anyone else have that wobbly feeling...? Sorry had to vent nobody else understands. Thanks❤

• Posted

Ohh yes that wobbly felling is horrible I had that and I had a strap I hooked under my foot and I use to lift it off the floor when going over those bumps. 😊

• Edited

I have still got swollen ankle and something I never had before the inside of the top of my leg and from my ankle to my knee is very sore to touch.

I called the hostpital and they said to go over to get it looked at.

they said they think it's bruising or water retention but ruled out clotting which is a relief

I am not getting my exercises done as a result which is getting me down now

• Posted

Went for my first physio after L T K R 2 weeks ago there were 8 in my group all had the op within a day of each other

some were ahead of others with the bend

one chap had 120 degree bend I can only manage 70 degree.

they got us to do various excesises one was to get out of the chair using our legs only

I didn't try as I know my body simply wouldn't allow this.

the poor chap who was doing so well fell back in his chair with severe pain they had to take him away somewhere.

I turned to the others and said listen to your body it knows best.

I do wonder sometimes if they read to many books and just want to tick boxes.

I will only do what I know my limits are.

they want me back in 1 week for a one to one which I thought strange. 😕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.