Taking dressing off what will it reveal

Posted , 13 users are following.

Tomorrow I am due to take my own dressing and steri strips off TKR. I am a bit nervous as the wound has been stinging, and pulling . Not sure what awaits me. Can anyone tell what to expect when I take the steri strips off. I am 3weeks post op

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Get a trusted family member or friend to do it or better still go to the nurse at your surgery!!! You should not be doing this yourself, bless you.

The needle sensation is the nerves springing into action; well that's what I was told.

My stitches dissolved thank goodness but I had to leave a dressing on my scar as I am very squeamish; I kept looking at the scar to desensitized myself! It looked like the edge on a Cornish pasty at the beginning but it does soon start to smooth out.

Once your dressing etc is off, gently massage around the area but don't put anything on the scar (ie Bio-oil) until you are sure it is healed.

Good luck; let us know how you get on.

• Posted

The description of your wound sounds just like mine ... But it's really neat now 
  • Posted

Still haven't plucked up the courage to do it yet
    • Posted

You know you have to do it. Grit your teeth and  think positive 

shout ...curse... Blame the world ....lol 

but do it 

• Posted

I think it's so wrong that you have to do it yourself ...the district nurse came and took my dressing off 
  • Posted

Todahhhhhhh what do we think. 3 weeks post op. Isn't the body clever
  • Posted

Should I put a breathable dressing over it just for the first few days . Steri strips came off easily
  • Posted

Should I put a breathable dressing over it just for the first few days . Steri strips came off easily
    • Posted

No but I am worried one bit still looks a bit pink and soft. Worried if it gets bashed it might open

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.