Taking dressing off what will it reveal

Posted , 13 users are following.

Tomorrow I am due to take my own dressing and steri strips off TKR. I am a bit nervous as the wound has been stinging, and pulling . Not sure what awaits me. Can anyone tell what to expect when I take the steri strips off. I am 3weeks post op

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The sting is prob where strips is under scab.   Mine glue and ouch.  Hurts lol. Best luck.  
    • Posted

Thank you different type of pain tonight. Stinging isn't around the wound feels like someone sticking needles in. No sleep tonight. But had a very deep sleep yesterday afternoon so it's ok. Now dressings are off I feel like I'm on the road to recovery biggrin
  • Posted

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum.

Thank you Soobeedoo, I was sitting looking at my dressing, trying to steel myself to remove it, when I came across your post. Having read all the replies, I've done it!!! It seems dry but quite scabby, and now I'm lying in bed, frightened to move in case it 'pops' eek! 

The main thing is, should I clean it, do people think? Or just leave it to do its own thing. I don't have any nurse appointments and I'm in the UK too....

once again, thanks for passing on the courage smile

• Posted

I read these posts and although they are over a yr old they helped me too.   Knowing that I wasn't doing things wrong - that my wound didn't look wrong.   Learning that I could massage and that it really helps.

Many thanks from me too

• Posted

Hi Lynn

I didn't actually realise how old the posts were at first! But, the principles are the same and now I'm really glad I've got that dressing off. I have to say my knee does feel different....maybe I'm just holding it stiffly.....but so far, so good smile 

Good luck 

• Posted

General rule is the first time it's removed it should be done by a medical professional. Just the possibility of infection is the big thing. If you have questions call your Dr before touching it. Having gone through a serious staph and having to have the prosthesis removed for 4 months I may be a little on the cautious side but I can tell you the last thing you want to mess with is staph just to satisfy your curiosity about how the incision looks
    • Posted

Hi there smile

My first dressing was removed in hospital by a nurse, and the second, two weeks post op, again by a nurse, who was removing the staples. There was a bit of superficial bleeding so she put a third dressing on, and that was the one she said to remove for myself. I would still have preferred a pro to do it, though!

since taking the dressing off approx 24 hours ago, my knee feels much more stiff and painful. I think this may be partly because tension is leading me to hold it differently.....but whatever the reason, I wish there were someone to turn to for on the spot advice, rather than waiting for a consultation in about 3 weeks time....

Really sorry to hear about your problems and hope you're on the road to recovery now smile

• Posted

Do you have the stitches/staples out yet. Just be sure to keep it covered with sterile gauze squares if there is any drainage at all and don't wipe it with any type of creams or balms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.