Taking Fluoxetine from 20mg to 40mg

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had been taking fluoxetine for years and decided to come off them. After a month I started to suffer very bad depression and anxiety. Having negative thoughts and wanting to hurt myself. I went to the doctors straight away and went back on Fluoxetine 20mg but after 6 weeks it wasn't working well. So the GP put my meds up to 40mg. It started working well and I started feeling a little better then I was advised to go back to 20mg. After a week I started to feeling awful again so I'm back on 40mg again. Just wondered how long until I start to feel better again? GP also gave me propananol when my anxiety plays up badly.

2 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi.

I switched two weeks ago from 20mg to 40mg because of anxiety.

My anxiety is better. It is worth doing it.

It is true that increasing the dose is not pleasant. After two weeks I feel.some drowsiness in the day. I sleep well at night though. It is not as tough as starting the drug. You can still feel that something is happening in the brain.

Hope this helps.

Take care

• Posted

I just switched from 20mgs to 40mgs for anxiety but mine seems to have gotten worse. Today is day 9 of the new dose. I'm worried the new dose is making me worse. How long should I give it before I go back down to 20mgs? thanks!

• Posted

I am scared but have been taking 40 mg for 4 days now. Work has been really tough and I'm finding it hard to concentrate. I feel like running home and curling up in a ball. I do hope I start to feel better. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Hun I feel for you am on Flouxitine 20 mg been on them for nearly 5 weeks an been that bad the doctor has put me on propananol for my anxiety I just wish it would all just work out hope ur ok thinking of u Hun good luck x
    • Posted

Good luck Jayne. I hope it starts to help you. I just want to get back to doing the normal things. X
  • Posted

Day 5 on Fluoxetine 40mg. Was not a good morning. Went to GP again in tears as I couldn't even swallow my tablets, was sick. Took me 45 minutes to take them. Felt so low and anxiety with negative thoughts hit me hard.

I have been signed off from work and I feel bad about that too but I need to get back to being myself. I have noticed though that in the afternoon I start to feel a little better and can actually eat something. I do hope these tablets start taking full affect soon. I don't want my family worrying about me 24/7.

• Edited

Day 6 - was a little better for me. Morning was hard and I spent a lot of time in my room. I tried to relax and didn't get as many bad thoughts. Around noon I managed to eat something. Went out in the car with the family and felt a little better for it. During the afternoon anxiety came and went but was manageable. Slept better and woke up 6am which is great for me as I normally wake up 4 times during the night. I pray to god that these tablets are starting to work a little more each day. Hope you all are doing better.

• Edited

Made up your feeling a bit better , love seeing story's like this x

• Edited

Hi

You sound like you need some support from a cognitive behaviour therapist. Worked a dream for me. It's not telling all your life story just the practical things that are going wrong. It can seriously relieve anxiety and interrupt the normal thoughts you have about stuff that is driving u nuts. Eg.not swallowing meds. I only go once a month now but you might need more until you understand how to challenge your thinking on your own. Ps ask for liquid fluox. Or practice taking vitamin tablet before your meds. Or take meds while you are at work or with your mates. A chnge in your company can take your mind off.

• Edited

Thanks Hun. We will get there. This site has helped me a lot. Also it's somewhere to log how I'm doing and keep track. It helps to see it and shows myself I may not always feel good but there are days I do. We need to try and stay positive, which is so hard when we feel so bad. X

• Edited

Hi Deeb35,

I think that may be a good idea. I had CBT before but only a day course. It may be a good idea to help me long term. Hope you are doing well x

• Posted

Day 7 on 40mg - overall was not a bad day. I actually managed to take the dogs for a long walk and did some cleaning. Also ate a little more than I have been. The feelings of being low came and went and the negative thoughts weren't as bad as before. Mornings are still hard but not as before, I

Hope thins continue to improve. I feel asleep very quickly last night but woke up after 4 hours. Feel back asleep but it was not a comfortable sleep as i felt I was still partly awake. I hope things to continue to get better.

• Posted

Day 8 on 40mg - yesterday was another good day. I webt for 3 walks and took the dogs. Also went to visit my Gran and helped my mother in law to tidy up. Appetite was better today. Again I can't eat in the morning but after 12pm I can eat a little. When going for the walks I had to concur my anxiety when it started, told myself the thoughts are not me and not to be afraid. Just keep going. Slowly I find I am getting there. I pray when I'm frightened too which also has helped me. Started taking vitamins at the advice of family. It will take 7 weeks to kick in so hopefully that will help too smile. Hope you guys are all doing well. God bless

• Posted

So glad to read that you are making improvements! Hopefully each day will get a little better.
    • Posted

Thank you Hun. Each day has gotten a little bitter. Hope you're feeling better too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.