Taking Fluoxetine from 20mg to 40mg

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had been taking fluoxetine for years and decided to come off them. After a month I started to suffer very bad depression and anxiety. Having negative thoughts and wanting to hurt myself. I went to the doctors straight away and went back on Fluoxetine 20mg but after 6 weeks it wasn't working well. So the GP put my meds up to 40mg. It started working well and I started feeling a little better then I was advised to go back to 20mg. After a week I started to feeling awful again so I'm back on 40mg again. Just wondered how long until I start to feel better again? GP also gave me propananol when my anxiety plays up badly.

2 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 9 on 40mg - I did a lot of walking and instead of locking myself up in the house I went to the beach. I also helped my Gran walk her dogs too. Some of the places we walked to were so busy and my anxiety was there but manageable. I just kept going.

Mornings have become a little better each day and I don't feel as bad. Not there to eat in the mornings yet but one step at a time. The afternoon was a little scary as a dog tried to attack my dog. It really kicks off my anxiety. Normally I could manage that but it took me a while to calm down and get myself relaxed. I started writing in my journal to calm down as the reading was not working. I got there and managed to relax. I started watching Charmed and managed 2 episodes smile. Went to bed about 10:30 pm, took a while before sleep came so I read my book. Woke up a few times and was hard to get back to sleep but managed it. Not a bad day really, things happen but I need to learn to relax before my anxiety gets worst. X

• Posted

Today day 11 on 40mg - it was an okay morning. Managed to get up, felt like I could sleep so much longer though. Motivation can be hard at times but it is getting a little better each day. I managed to eat at lunch and had a snack as well. I actually went on the bike again today, and walked the dogs. There was part of me at some point that wanted to go back home and go to bed. I noticed that when I hear the news or negativity from others it hits me really hard. I've decided not to watch the news at the moment as it stirs my anxiety. I didn't have many intrusive thoughts and they were manageable, thank goodness. I hope and pray it continues to get better and better.

• Posted

Sounds like you're on the up and up! smile smile

• Posted

Thanks Hun. Will get there. Hope you're doing well.

• Posted

Day 12 on 40mg - The place I had to go to was so busy and my anxiety went off. I did manage to continue going and started to enjoy myself. On the way home negative thoughts came and went, I am slowly learning to dismiss this and carry on. There are times today that I felt a little low in feeling as well but managed to overcome it. Feel so tired today and I'm ready for bed by 9.30 pm. Fingers crossed that things continue to get better each day.

• Posted

Hiya, I honestly could have written this!...well done to you! and I hope things continue! I'm trying to give it time and let everything wash over me. Here's to us all getting out of this and feeling better x

• Posted

Fingers crossed we will get there Hun. It's a long battle but we are strong and can get through it. Praying for us all x

• Posted

Absolutely! We will all keep going and keep praying x
  • Posted

Day 13 on 40 mg - Weird day, woke up and anxiety was there but not to the point it could stop me from getting up and makin breakfast for my daughter. Once I sat down for a bit, anxiety and negativity hit me. I decided to do a crossword puzzle and then a sudoku to calm my mind. I try to feed myself with positive thoughts and remind myself the negative thoughts are not me. After a while it went and I started to feel more like me. Went food shopping with my mother in law and actually had a laugh. My Daughter and Hubby gave me cuddles when I got home, it was the best thing ever. This is why we need to get better and pull through. Because of family but also yourself. I worry about every little thing I've realised, and when I can't control something including these negative thoughts that's when anxiety gets worst. I've started to teach myself that in life there are things that we cannot control and not to be afraid of it. Things happen but we can get through them, just need to be strong.

Went out to walk the dog and found time to enjoy the view, breathing in and out and closing my eyes to relax. In the afternoon I felt relaxed and it was a nice evening. It felt great, one step at a time I tell myself. Prayers to all X

• Posted

That sounds so good. Well done! You sound like you are really doing well.

I have been trying to do the same...I got up this morning and went straight on the wii step for 20 mins, then got washed and dressed and took the dogs out a walk...COMPLETELY different to the last 12 weeks...and 3 of them on 40mg. I have also found the more I get intrusive thoughts and then anxiety, if I try to just see them for what they are, and that they have to be ignored, then I think of something happy and positive and try to move my head away from all of that.I am actually looking forward to things and have booked the cinema for myself, hubby and daughter... I have had a really good few days and today is feeling better and better. I have no doubt at all coming on here and chatting to you all has helped no end. My gratitude and my prayers and good thoughts to everyone X

• Posted

I'm so happy that you're starting to feel better. It's great when you can start to look forward to things again. Keep going hun, tell them negative thoughts that it's not you then think positivity. You sound like you're doing a great job. Keep your head up and smile when you feel more yourself.

Mornings are the toughest but we are getting through it. This site and lovely people here have really helped. It's great to feel that we are not alone with what we are going through. Please keep in touch and let me know how you're doing x

• Posted

Day 14 on 40mg - wow that was a hard day for me. Hormones everywhere and Anxiety and low mood. I wasn't sure how to feel, lost, confused. Been having blood spotting and feeling the need to pee. When I do pee, I feel I need to go again. Also had bad tummy pains. Felt like period symptoms but no period. I think my body is trying to right itself, my period have always been irregular. I did have parts where I felt a little better but the hormones did it help at all. Went to walk the dogs to try and clear my mind as the anxiety was everywhere. Bloody hormones. Back felt on fire as well. Not bad that in a while. It did settle in the evening and I managed to relax in bed.

• Posted

I totally understand, this has been me as well...spotting and then the heaviest bleeding i've ever experienced and stomach pain. I'm just over the 3 weeks on the increase to 40mg and it is feeling better...and no spotting for a little bit yay!... you are totally doing the right thing going out a walk with the dogs, that's what i've been doing too-does make you feel better in the end and will prob help you rest better at night as well. Get a hot water bottle on your stomach or your back whenever you need to and paracetomol when you need to. Also everytime I bleed...my hormones are all over the place and you question everything...but it WILL pass and you'll come out the other end. Cuddle up on the sofa and watch a movie and spoil yourself for a bit- hopefully that'll go someway to helping you feel a bit better X

• Posted

Thanks for the advice Hun. Will definitely use a water bottle and curl up in a blanket and rest. Hormones are horrible at times but you're right. We will get through it. Hope you're doing better Hun, please keep in contact x

• Posted

Hiya,

How are you doing this morning? Are you feeling any better?

X

• Posted

Hi LJK68, I'm doing much better than I was a few days ago. Thank you for thinking of me. How're you doing? X

• Posted

I'm doing ok, i've just been out with the dogs again and that always feels good, quite a bit of stomach pain...but have had anxiety as was up with hubby at dr's yesterday and he's suffering from stress so doc has given him some info to help him and he's to go back in 2 weeks..and also had to get plumber out yesterday as toilet started leaking and daughter scraped her car on the fence-top day!...deep joy. I don't care really as nothing I can do about it but accept, get it fixed and move on. The ONLY thing that matters is if my family is alright...everything else is just minutae. I am really glad to hear that you are doing better and I hope the days get better and better for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.