Taking Fluoxetine from 20mg to 40mg

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had been taking fluoxetine for years and decided to come off them. After a month I started to suffer very bad depression and anxiety. Having negative thoughts and wanting to hurt myself. I went to the doctors straight away and went back on Fluoxetine 20mg but after 6 weeks it wasn't working well. So the GP put my meds up to 40mg. It started working well and I started feeling a little better then I was advised to go back to 20mg. After a week I started to feeling awful again so I'm back on 40mg again. Just wondered how long until I start to feel better again? GP also gave me propananol when my anxiety plays up badly.

2 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 15 on 40mg - Day started off slowly and anxiety was being an arse. As the day went on I decided to not let the anxiety win. I went and visited my sister in law, had a cuppa and even had a lovely chat and some laughs. The day was fairly busy in parts. I had booked a tattoo for myself a while ago, wasn't sure if I would do it and heart was racing. But I said to myself, this means a lot to me, I'm doing it. I did it and was and still am so happy with my tattoo. Can't believe I did it even though my anxiety was so high, heart beating fast, wanted to runaway and felt sweaty. But I did it yay smile.

So today is Day 16 on 40mg - I had woken up a few times, I now have a sore throat and cough. Even with that I woke up and felt okay. Took my girl to school, went to my Grandmothers house to help her. Little anxiety now and then but easier to manage. I even for the first time in months managed to eat toast before 10am, wasn't feeling ill either. Even taking my tablets, I've managed not to be sick or finding it hard to swallow. Driving back home, had an accident and dented the car sad. My other half said it was fine and minor damage. I started to feel sad but with his support for some strange reason I laughed. I thought at least nobody is hurt and the car is fine. I was scared and still am kind of scared my anxiety would play up majorly But actually it's been okay. I really am thankful to god for my family. How I laughed and am still not panicking is beyond me, but so far still feeling ok. Please god I hope things get better and better. I know things happen but if I can still see the glass half full, that's what counts. Hope you all are doing better. God bless

• Posted

Up and down. Probably better than a week ago, it's just hard to see improvements when I feel bad. Xx

• Posted

OMG! I just read your post!...great minds think alike!!!

I would never have felt this way 12 weeks ago....but I just calmly dealt with everything and moved on...and so have you!!! Well done x

• Posted

I understand Hun. Just keep telling yourself when you feel bad that you're not alone and that you will get through it. It's hard when you're going through the feelings. Keep your head up xx

• Posted

Thanks Hun. Sounds like you're doing much better. Keep it up smile. We can do this xx

• Posted

Wow just saw your other post as well. What a week huh rolleyes. Still though you've done amazing and handled things well. x

• Posted

Day 19 on 40mg - Mornings have started to get a little better for me now. I have noticed at quieter times, that's when I start to feel the moods hit me. I can't even say if I feel sad, tearful, there are no words. It's manageable, I tell myself I'm fine and try to calm my mind. When in doing things I feel that I can concentrate better and have a little motivation. All the things I used to love doing, I've slowly started doing them again including watching comedies. People say to keep busy but we also need time to relax too. I've just got to keep going until I can fully learn to relax without the worry I may start my anxiety up. Things are slowly getting better and I'm hopeful that it will continue to be better as time goes on. God bless

• Posted

Absolutely right- Mornings have definitely been better for me too...and in the afternoons-although very tired and sometimes a little low, I push myself to go out a walk so that I enjoy my relaxation later. I am bleeding again (very rarely not at the moment...) so i'm crampy, feeling nauseous and not feeling as good but i'm guessing thats down to hormones, just back from seeing a movie with hubby though...and going to one tomorrow with my daughter. You are doing the right thing, easing into doing what you used to enjoy, and that's what i'm doing too-REALLY asking myself what it is that makes me happy and doing it-I love movies hence the cinema trips...that unlimited card is worth its weight in gold right now! I have also been doing deep breathing, listening to music and reading along with the walking and being on here chatting has really helped also, I think the thing is with the moods, is to try and let it wash over you as best you can and do exactly what you feel like doing to help you through it at that moment, whether that's doing something or just curling up watching the comedies. That's brilliant. I bet, like me you wouldn't have been thinking about these things weeks ago-so that's a good sign isn't it? Keep going and it WILL continue to feel better. One day at a time x

• Posted

Aww Hun I'm so happy to see you're doing much better. Going to the cinema is always great, you have taken good positive steps smile. You're right, one day at a time. I've even started enjoying my hot chocolate again ??. Meh hormones are a pain in the butt, I'm still spotting blood but no period. I've decided not to try not to worry about it. You keep going, you're doing great. X

• Posted

Aww so are you!, and i'm loving the hot choc too!-love it in the winter with little marshmallows! going to cosy in and get a bubble bath and watch some tv. Have a good night and rest X

• Posted

Day 24 on 40mg - It's been a bit of a rollercoaster this week so far. I have started eating better and I'm doing things around the house or helping family. I think because I have a lot going on at home my mind is combating with the stress and worry. It's near Christmas and I've had to stop working due to this anxiety and depression. I worry about so many things. The tablets are definitely helping as otherwise I would be a mess. I need to try and remember to concentrate on the positives and keep going. I'm happy that I can at least dismiss negative thoughts when they do come which isn't a sign often now. I have noticed that my sleep is disrupted at the moment, walking up a few times and not being able to sleep for ages. I'm not sure if that's because of I'm thinking too much or this cold I have. I'm just going to continue doing my walks, do some painting this week. Hopefully my sleep will get better. Hope you all are doing better. God bless x

• Posted

Hi there,

You are doing so well and absolutely doing all the right things to help you through. Remember and not to put pressure on yourself in any way. As my lovely Dad used to say Christmas is just another day...I am actually this year for the first time ever not focussing on gifts...but the actual day...with a nice meal planned...and us all in our jammy's if that's what we feel like...cuddled up watching bad Xmas telly!..my sleep is also disrupted at the moment...a lot going on at once, and thats no doubt affecting my sleep...daughter has new boyfriend after splitting with her boyfriend of 2 years...and we've just met him and he's really lovely..car in garage today looking into problem..recent bathroom leak etc...but the difference is that i'm trying to cope with whtever comes up calmly and in a realistic way and not panic and get down or worried. At night, i've noticed warm milk can really help, I put a little hot choc and cinnamon in the pan when I make it...and it seems to soothe me and help me sleep most nights I have it, so something like that may be worth a try?

I have got a phone appt with my doc in an hour so i'm going to tell her that I think the 40mg is the right dose for me and that i'm feeling better and am going to keep going, trying my best alongside the meds to feel better.

As you said, keep going your walks, and your painting and anything that relaxes you.

You are concentrating on the positives and that is what matters.

Be kind to yourself and pat yourself on the back.

You are doing great x

• Posted

Hi LJK68,

Thank you for the advice. You're so right. I'm glad to hear that you're doing better. It sounds like you're on the right dose and that you're finding your way.

I think I will follow your advice and try not to be so hard on myself. It's hard at times when we are going through the motions.

You're right, Christmas is about family and not the gifts. Do you think our sleeping patterns is due to the weather change or just the fact that we have a lot going on?

I will try the warm milk and cinnamon with hot chocolate. Fingers crossed it will help. I've also brought lavender oil for my bath. Going to try that tonight and let you know how it goes.

Your messages will cheer me up, please do stay in contact smile.

Thank you and god bless xx

• Posted

Hi there,

I think the sleeping pattern could be both to be honest, the weather change and that we've had a lot going on..but I reckon if you try the warm lavendar bath, maybe light some candles, and try the warm milk with hot choc and cinnamon and just really relax and relax your muscles and try to empty your mind (not easy I know) watching some tv or a movie, or reading, and hopefully you'll get a nice restful sleep. Its certainly worth a try. 

I hope it works,

You let me know how you get on.

God bless X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.