Taking Levothyroxine at night improved my life.

Posted , 159 users are following.

I was put on 50mcg of the stuff at xmas 2013, then after 3months put on 100mcgs. First of all I felt all over the place, disorientated like I had vertigo,then I changed to taking the pill last thing at night and the difference is remarkable, I wake up earlier, feel more refreshed and active, the feeling of disorientation has gone and my recent blood test was excellent and the doseage was working. Has anyone else had similar symptoms and found changing to a nightly dose has really helped them.

22 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Doreen. Yes, I was taking my levo every morning and feeling awful. It was like that for around 3 years. I was advised to take it at night instead and the change was remarkable. Much more energy and brain fog went. Apparently it doesn't work that way for everyone, but if you are feeling unwell on your dose of levo it is certainly worth a try.

Jen

• Posted

I too had the same feelings. I read the post on this site. Started taking my levothyroid last night and WOW! what a difference.

Woke up feeling so much better.

Thanks for the post!!!

• Posted

I agree 100%. I had my thyroid removed last August and never felt good since. I went for a check up last week, the doctor increased my levothyroid and I was feeling terrible until I read the post and said why not try. I'm so glad I did! I just hope it continues. 
    • Posted

I just started taking Levo 50 MCG. Been taking them for a week. Have been haven headaches and some light headedness. Going to take Levo at night. I let you know how it works.
    • Posted

How are you doing? Had my thyroid and one of my parathyroids removed two years ago, it took a year-and-a-half to get my level of rx regulated, lab results say I to do well on 137.

Fortunately I feel the same now, good, as I did before the throid removal. Due to menopause, hot flashes for 14 years, sleep is a big issue! going to start taking it at night on an empty stomach & hope that helps w/sleep. Wish I could afford alternative/ therapy help....

• Posted

I had my thyroid remove December8 I take  75 mc of lo at night and I feel great when I was taking it in the morning time I had bad headache s
    • Posted

I will try the night time dose. But how much time is needed after dinner. I also take evening meds.
    • Posted

Hi Noemi. Just wondered if taking levo at night after your higher dosage worked for??
  • Posted

Hi Doreen and Jennifer - 

This is very encouraging and interesting news! as per other discussion where I read about this first, I am definitely going to try this and so please keep everything x'd for me that it works for me too! cos I am getting nowhere in trying to persuade my doctor to increase my dose (normal/borderline results but still symptomatic)

Thank you ladies!! x

• Posted

Hello Christine! Glad to be of help. The way I changed over was to take my levo in the morning as usual, then another dose in the evening, then every evening from then on. I felt the change in my body almost straight away; others have said it took a week or so to see a difference.  Best of luck and fingers crossed!  Let me know how you get on...

Jen

• Posted

Ah thanks for pointing that out, I see cos otherwise you'd go almost 2 days between doses - will do. I shall start by taking an additional 50mcg tonight! Is it the empty stomach that makes the difference do you think? Cos  i usually take my (morning) dose with a shedload of other pills I have to take at breakfast - maybe thats whats making it less effective - taking it at the same time as naproxen, codeine, lithium, valproate... etc etc...

I really really hope I feel the same difference you experienced right away - i am getting proper fed up of feeling this way, especially since I know its not depression, I can tell the difference, and I was fine til my thyroid went kaput. I wish Id never let the psychiatrist recommend lithium now, if i had know just how troublesome the Thyroid gland could be - they make it sound like, 'well lithium can affect your thyroid but its a simple matter to supplement it with thyroxine' ....!!! Not that simple after all, i now discover, worse luck.

And stopping lithium now wouldnt make much difference - the damage is permanent, apparently.

Will report back in a week, keep em X'd for me! thanks again Jen x

• Posted

Morning Christine! It does matter a great deal that you take your thyroxine well away from other meds, especially iron and calcium. A rule of thumb is to take your thyroxine 2 hours away from any food, pills, supplements and drinks, except water, and 4 hours away from calcium and iron. Got my fingers x'd for you! Jen x
    • Posted

Hi Hildegard,I was told to take mine in the morning but not with other pills and not to eat for 30mins after taking thyroxin,it gives the medicine time to get into blood stream.
    • Posted

Hi im new to this site....Im having the same issues as you .Started Lithium jan and now thyroid not working properly
    • Posted

Michelle95405... I WAS also taking Lithium. And yes its probably what has taken your Thyroid out. If its possible, I would talk to your doctor about finding something else before it gets worse. Believe it or not, but as long as the damage to your thyroid isn't bad it can reverse itself!! 

Also, I recommend that you wait at least 2 hours to take your lithium after your thyroid med. That does make a DRAMATIC difference in how you feel. smile 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer. So I did take my synthroid at night on Saturday but I missed my Friday and Saturday pill. The only thing was that it made my heart pound so fast for about 2mins then went away! But when I woke up Sunday morning it felt so nice to not feel a single head heavy fog feeling. I still want to take it at night but I'm scared of the heart fast pounding. Maybe cause I didn't take my Friday and Saturday pill?!?!? 
    • Posted

Will try to switch to nights .  Hope it makes me feel better. You said you took a dose in morning and another at night?? I only have one pill containing my prescribed 50mg.  ?????

Should Ijust switch that one pill to night-without other meds, etc.?

Thanks,

Sherry

• Posted

Would that work with a higher dose?  I take 175mcg, and I took mine at 6:45 this morning.  Don't think anyone has been on this thread for awhile, I'll keep looking around, don't expect a response tonight!
    • Posted

I take 125mcg of levothyroxine at night and have done for the last 2 years. I did try a few months ago taking it in the morning but immediately found that I felt more lousy, had problems sleeping. As soon as I went back to taking it at night I find myself more alert first thing in the morning and not as "foggy". Just wish it lasted all day!
    • Posted

Hi Hildegard! I just wanted to say that my pdoc has me taking my full dose of Lithium (900mg.) at nighttime since it's sedating, and it helps me sleep. If I took Lithium in the morning, I'd be fatigued all day. I also read that taking all the Lithium at once is actually easier on the kidneys, which makes no sense to me, but the report was very reassuring. I take my Levothyroxine at bedtime, too, so I take my Lithium an hour or two before the Levo. Dumb question, but could you take the codeine at night as well or is it needed in the morning?

In the end, new reports are always coming out and as much as our doctors believe in what they tell us, I don't think they really know. My endocrinologist insists I take my Levo in the morning, but I've felt worse since, so I'm rebelling. 

I hope you're feeling better by the time you're reading this! 

Anna x

• Posted

I was never told to take my synthroid by itself, ive been taking it right along with my iron pill. Struggling for 10 years from hyper to hypo, i dont feel much better than i did 10 uears ago,minus the shaking. Im so disgusted.
    • Posted

Brenda,

Don't take your iron pills at the same time as your throid medicine. They interact with each other. I think the rule of thumb is four hours seperation between these two pills. When I was on iron, I took it at lunch and took thyroid meds before bed. 

Here is a link to a study that they found taking Synthroid at night works better. 

http://www.thyroid.org/patient-thyroid-information/ct-for-patients/vol-4-issue-5/vol-4-issue-5-p-7/

Here also is a website that checks drug interactions. http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php Iron pills interferes with the asorbtion of thyroid meds. 

• Posted

Thank you for posting.  I took lithium for a short time and it killed my thyroid, too.
    • Posted

OOPS!

Calcium is a must for me. Maybe that is interfering with my Levothyroxine. Thanks for that comment. I will check it out.

• Posted

Isn't Synthroid expensive? I changed to genetic Levothyroxine forty years ago because of the cost. How is it priced now, compared to Levo at $4 per month?

• Posted

Are you getting enough vitD3 to help you absorb the calcium?.. as we age everything changes. I'm 65, I'm always tired. I've started taking

Vitb12 subliminal, and d3 gel caps. I try to take liquid or gel caps so my liver doesn't work so hard

• Posted

Ask your pharmacist they can tell you.. I remember it was 10 bucks a month synthroid vs. 5 for 3 mos. levo.. or something like that.. Medicaid will only pay a month at a time. Which is crazy, they would save money if they would do 3 mos. Now with Medicare there's a copay thats more than if i just get 3 mos and pay myself... say what? Crazy. And I don't have to get it every month.

• Posted

I'm diabetic and take a shot in the morning and in the evening.  How far away from my evening insulin should I take my levothyroxine?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.