Taking Levothyroxine at night improved my life.

Posted , 159 users are following.

I was put on 50mcg of the stuff at xmas 2013, then after 3months put on 100mcgs. First of all I felt all over the place, disorientated like I had vertigo,then I changed to taking the pill last thing at night and the difference is remarkable, I wake up earlier, feel more refreshed and active, the feeling of disorientation has gone and my recent blood test was excellent and the doseage was working. Has anyone else had similar symptoms and found changing to a nightly dose has really helped them.

22 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh hope it works will be willing to try this myself suck of feeling disorientated and do aced out x
  • Posted

Hi I changed my dosage time and now taking it at night. 4 nights in and my symptoms are worseachey legs and feet, and forfetful.  Hoping this will change after a week or so.  willkeep you all posted.  has anyone else started the change yet
  • Posted

hi all thought I would let you all know that I was unable to keep taking my Levo at night. My symptoms are the worst that they have ever been. My whole body aches like hell and my feet are at their worst I can hardly walk when I get out of bed.  I took Levo at night for about 3 weeks so thought that if my symptoms were to get better then they would have by them. It was worth a try in any case suppose I will go and annoy my GP again and hope that she listens to me and either reduce my Levo or help solve my symptoms.
  • Posted

I have just found out that a small swelling under my foor is a fibrosis which is caused by a calcium build up, nothing much can be done about it and it effects walking and slight pain. I was suprised to read thyroid  problems are associated with this ailment.I would be interested if anyone else has this problem please.
    • Posted

I too have a fibrosis but I didn't realise it could be linked to my hypothyroidism. I have an endocrinology appt next week. I don't feel my gp takes my symptoms seriously and I feel pretty dreadful - exhausted, sore muscles and joints, numb fingers.... . I take 50 mcg levothyroxine at the moment.
    • Posted

Hi Susan are you in the uk? i am having real problems with thyroxine have been taking for 20 years past 5 mths thyroid all over the place gp cannot get dose right. I have terrible head spaced out disorientated vacant, same symptoms as you. I have never seen an endocrinologist iam going to my gp to get referred. Have you had your t3 tested?
    • Posted

Yes, I live in Surrey. My GP wasn't keen on referring me to an endocrinologist but I'm glad that I got an appointment because he did a range of blood tests including Vit D and for other autoimmune diseases as well as a full thyroid profile and said he wanted to keep me in the upper range for thyroxine. When the results came back it seems I am very deficient in Vit D and my thyroxine needs to be increased. So at the moment I feel quite optimistic and very grateful to be taken seriously. On the basis of my experience I do recommend an endocrinology referral although I know not everyone has had a good experience. Fingers crossed that I begin to feel better soon as well!

• Posted

Calcium levels are really important and need to be monitored as too much calcium in your body is as dangerous as not enough I have been really low and now my calcium levels are up higher now so now we have to be careful I don't start with kidney stones it's like a minefield you sound like you need your levels checking
    • Posted

Having a full workup done of your thyroid is super helpful.  After months of telling my doctor that something was not workin right, I made an appointment with another doctor (female) who did a complete work-up on my all my "T"'s (t1, t2, t3, and t4) and she told me that I was being over medicated.  After lowering my dose on Levo and putting me on another medication, the brain fog, fast heart beats and headaches have gotten so much better. Seeing someone who will listen and take you serious is so important.

• Posted

If you're unable to access alternative medicine for thyroid and I would strongly encourage Chinese medicine or an Acupuncturist to trattoria your Thyroid. Otherwise closely track your Lab results, are they closer to the high normal or the low normal or in the middle of the so called "normal range"? I've heard it's very important to closely scrutinize the blood results. Sadly many Physicians are okay if results fall w/in the normal ranges

• Posted

Yes, I also changed to taking it at night.  My symptoms were similar but also nausea and gas in the morning, I could barely get food down.  Now I am A OK and feel really good all day.
    • Posted

Hi Rose how long was it before you started to feel better one night time dose.  
    • Posted

Almost immediately, at least within 3-4 days.  I also have changed when I take my calcium, vit. D, and magnesium.  I don't take them all together at night.  I take my thyroid at night before bed and the others during the day.  Right now am feeling great with this regimen.  Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hi, 

This is so interesting to read, I have been on levo for 7 weeks now and feel worse than I did before I went on it. I used to be able to get up and run every morning and since being on the medicine I simply can't get out of bed in the morning, I get the worst headrush when I do and feel really dizzy. 

Can I though what time do you take it at night? And what do you do about eating and drinking? How long do you stop before taking it?

Thank you!

• Posted

I stop eating at roughly 10pm and go to bed at around midnight. Like you I had and have similar symptoms, however I find taking the levo at night is best for me, it is a slow process I have been told from long term users before you feel the benefits of taking the drug.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.