Taking Levothyroxine at night improved my life.

Posted , 159 users are following.

I was put on 50mcg of the stuff at xmas 2013, then after 3months put on 100mcgs. First of all I felt all over the place, disorientated like I had vertigo,then I changed to taking the pill last thing at night and the difference is remarkable, I wake up earlier, feel more refreshed and active, the feeling of disorientation has gone and my recent blood test was excellent and the doseage was working. Has anyone else had similar symptoms and found changing to a nightly dose has really helped them.

22 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am so glad I found this thread.  I've not long been taking thyroid tablets, however I am also taking iron tablets, therefore I thought taking both first thing in the morning wasn't a good idea.  i am going to try and start taking one late evening/ before going to bed just to see if it makes a difference.  The other thing, since going on thyroid tablets, my periods are much heavier a:nd prolonged. I'm wondering if it's as a result of taking these tablets. I'm feeling totally drained. sad
  • Posted

I have been taking levothyroxine for 5 days now in the morning and I feel awful if any one could message me and give me advice please help .. I'm only 18 and with a daughter to support I can't be missing out on work please help as soon as possible
    • Posted

I would like an answer to your question too..... My doc changed my thyroid medication from 112mcg to 125mcg..... and my stomach has felt nauseated and bloated.....is this a side effect?  Never had a problem before

• Posted

Read the leaflet that tells you the side effects, if confused go to your GP, 

if he doesn't help, ask for a second opinion.

Pamela

• Posted

It seems there is a new proposed test by MHRA to be conducted from Jan 14 for the ability of Levothyroxine to dissolve, after complaints of inconsistent quality. It appears to be the 100mcg pill(don't quote me). See http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/Safetywarningsalertsandrecalls/Safetywarningsandmessagesformedicines/CON222565

my 50mcg and 100mcg pills are almost the same size, so as an engineer it would seem to me a possibility that the 100mcg pill is compacted too much in the manufacturing. If the dissolvability of pills is under investigation by MHRA then what we take them with and when could affect our ability to receive the correct dose, leading to some overdosing, and others under dosing. I have never heard of anyone experiencing the symptoms I attribute to an allergy to TSH. My Thyroid was removed and was Hashimoto (auto immune) disease, and it seems that people with Hashimoto thyroid problems can have allergies to their own Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) so they need a TSH test figure under 0.4. My Endocrinologist said that some people need their serum levels to be higher than the normal minimum, that my doctor said was OK. I experience severe dryness when under medicated, it's like I have been rolling in cement, my tongue is dry and stings, and everything dries up. Has anyone else experienced these sensations. I am on holiday in the Canaries at present so cannot get a blood test, as Inwant to check if my last batch of pills are different. I would like to find out if an allergy to TSH, or Hashimoto thyroid decease, causes different symptoms to those experienced by low thyroxine levels.

• Posted

I went to the doctors pharmacy to pick up my levothyroxine last week, the lady in front of me was dispensed with a packet of them which she refused saying that was not the brand she she should have had, I then went on to ask her what the difference was between the levothyroxine and the ones she wanted was. Her answer was, "I have been on thyroxine tablets for 30years and levo do not suit me. A friend in the know about these drugs told her that levothyroxine are  inconsistant in iodine levels and she took a drug begining with A (unfortunatly I cant remember the name of them) on the advice of the person who initially told her and she had never looked back and they were great for her. I found this interesting as I am still not as before I went on the darn things last january. I am due a blood test next week and I will ask if I can try another brand and see if there is a difference and will let the forum know.That is if they will pescribe them for me,I know levo are probably the cheapest so they may be reluctant. Has anyone else tried another brand?
    • Posted

I used to take Levothyroxine, switched to the brand name drug Synthroid, but never felt better until I started on a pill made from desiccated pig thyroid. It has both T3 & T4. It is probably the "A" medicine you heard about at the drug store. "Armour Thyroid" is the name.
    • Posted

Why do we just have to put up with the levothyroxine brand why is there not an option? 
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

There are other options to take with hypothyroidism as not everyone gets on with synthroid medication such as levothyroxine.

It is difficult to get a gp to understand why you want to change medication as levothyroxine is the main one all doctors are educated(ish) about and taught to prescribe.

It is recommended to take a T3 medication when on levothyroixine as levothyroxine only supplies your body with T4 which is then supposed to convert to T3 (the important hormone) but some people don't convert properly.

There is armour. Thyroid S (or something) but it's worth looking I to the other options but a GP won't tell you them.

• Posted

I was about to ask if anyone is taking armour. Was it difficult to get your Doctor to prescribe?
    • Posted

Hi Zaphira if you are on levo it is worth trying to get a trial of T3 (lithothyronine to add to the levo) I got this from my endo and have not looked back.  ARmour is hard to get prescribed in the uk.  But T3 is a little easier.  I went from 150mg of levo to 100 with 10 of t3 in morning and 10 in the afternoon.  Is working great but had to get it from a private endo NHS is hard to get it, and I think it is going to get harder lots or rumours of it being put on the red list by local health boards.
    • Posted

Hi I just switch from Levi 150 to 100 and add a 5 mg t3 I have it where I could take a 2nd t3 in the afternoon but u have to go a hour before after u take it. I'm in the U.S. please I need help I lost .75 of my hair with being on the levo and never stop gaining weight.
    • Posted

Hi Crystal sorry it has taken me a while to reply for some reason my email keep sending the threads to junk. 

Ok I think the amount may be too low, I would take your levo in the am with 5of the t3 then 1 hour before your late afternoon about 2pm take the other one see how you feel.  If you get twitching or have palpatations then you could split the tablet for the afternoon 1.  Remember that the 150mg of levo you were on before you dropped will be in your system for 6 weeks you my find you gradually feel worse Ideally 50mcg levo is equal to approx 20 of t3.  Remember you will get a reaction to t3 within a hour of taking it and it will leave your system relatively quickly over 6 hours, so if you are not taking enough of it to replace the levo you may start to feel more symptomatic.  I starting taking mine arround 5-6am so that at 7am I am wide awake.  Ps you need to keep to regular times as your body get used to when it is required get a routine that works and stil to it.  When I was switiched I was on 10 in the am and 10 in the afternoon.   I felt much better, and for the last 4 weeks I have unbeknown to my dr ditched another 50mg of levo and increased my t3 to 45m per day split into 3 doses.  I feel better than I have in ages.  However I would no take it upon yourself to do what I have done unless you are totally desperate and your dr or endo wont help.

Not sure what you mean about the hour.  It is just an hour away from food or other meds.  I take the t3 an hour before food and my vitamins an hour after. It is the best I can do and is not affecting me adversely.

• Posted

I specifically brought this "Armour Thyroid" up to my doctor just yesterday. After requesting (as it has been some time since last blood work, and first prescribed levothyroxine) SPECIFIC thyroid tests to be done "TODAY"; he denied my request for all but 3 tests, up in dosage of levothyroxine, and any T3 supplement. Just off phone with results now, he states I am perfectly fine...but I feel far from "fine".

If you don't mind me asking, how long were you on levo before switching to Synthroid and then to Armour? Do you take both now, or just the Armour? I am relatively new to the horrible thyroid disaster that is my life now, but I have done so much research and know more than my own doctor. It may still be early for me, but I don't want to spend another min feeling this horrible if I don't have to.

Thank you in advance!

• Posted

Hate to say it, but probably time to find another doctor.  Testing for T3 and doing the right test is very important.  I've been of Synthroid or Levo for 43 yrs.  just had to start meds for the T3 also. I'm going to try at night and see if I feel better.  My husband just starts on the armor because nothing else was working.  But we had to pay the naturalpath doctor out of pocket. But he is feeling better.  I would do some research on the labs that can be done. Some doctors won't even do reverse T3 or others.  If you stroke their ego first sometimes it helps. 
    • Posted

Armour thyroid!!!!!!! It is seriously the bomb!!!!! I took that for years and it was amazing. Maintained my weight, felt decent enegy wise etc etx. Most regular MD's do not like to prescribe it tho. They "claim" the dosage is not as regulated. I just know how amazing ut was. It was cheap too!!!!!!! I go to a more holistic dr and he lobes that stuff too!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.