Taking Levothyroxine at night improved my life.

Posted , 159 users are following.

I was put on 50mcg of the stuff at xmas 2013, then after 3months put on 100mcgs. First of all I felt all over the place, disorientated like I had vertigo,then I changed to taking the pill last thing at night and the difference is remarkable, I wake up earlier, feel more refreshed and active, the feeling of disorientation has gone and my recent blood test was excellent and the doseage was working. Has anyone else had similar symptoms and found changing to a nightly dose has really helped them.

22 likes, 260 replies

260 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It seems there is a new version of Levothyroxine available Tirosint Gel capsules which contain no dyes, gluten, alcohol, lactose, or sugar. People with Hashimotos thyroid (excess antibodies in the blood) are very often Celiac (gluten or wheat intolerant) or dairy intolerant and some of the dyes and the lactose in Levothyroxine trigger allergy responses.

For myself I can eat wholemeal flour products, but white refinend flour and processed foods trigger IBS and allergy responses, so I am going to ask my doctor if I can try this new capsule.

• Posted

Let me know how you get on, sometimes they just perscribe the cheapest brand unless you ask for another. Good Luck....
  • Posted

If anyone did have an allergic reaction to Levothyroxine components it would be reasonable to expect that taking it at night, especially with an antihistamine, would see an improvement to the morning experience.
    • Posted

never thought of that,would it be okay to take with antihistamenes,
  • Posted

A good point. I found something from a doctor Lowe online at healthunlocked, it's old though. He suggests taking the antihistamine 1-hour before taking the Levothyroxine, to negate the effect of allergic reaction to some of the other non T4 components in Levothyroxine tablets. The new Gel tablet containing only T4, gel and water sounds like a better bet to me, but elsewhere I have read that it may only be available in Italy and Switzerland.

• Posted

Hi Doreen! I think the alternative drug you are referring to is called Armour. I'm just in the process of trying to get my doctor to prescribe it on and individual patient basis. Not having much luck so far though!
  • Posted

I am going to start taking levothyroxine at night to see how I feel. Because I been having that vertigo feeling I guess it's because I been taking it ib the morning. 
  • Posted

Levethyroxine works best for some taken at night because the stomach will be empty and  the body is slowing down. Taken with a good amount of water to flush it into the lower intestine where is will be easily absorbed into the body whilst we are supposed to be sleeping. Iv taken my meds this way for 2 years. Interesting to read there is a new alternative on the market.

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Nienke_Bolk/publication/49675580_Effects_of_evening_vs_morning_levothyroxine_intake_a_randomized_double-blind_crossover_trial/links/00b49529dd5256a4ec000000.pdf

• Posted

i have had under active thyroid since my son was born 16 years ago and i have never felt fully energised since... i always take mine in the morning and have asked about taking them at night before and i was told not to i wonder why? if my blood test are normal, wich they are, does it matter what time i take them? Also i find it very difficult to take them alone in the mornings as i also take concerta and fluoxetine aswell what normally happens is i take the levethyroxine and then forget to take all the other pills sad I would like to try taking them at night and i think i might give a go... i will let you know how it goes.
  • Posted

I'm also on 50mg of Thyroxine but I've been taking it in the morning. I'm still tired when I wake and hit the tired wall at about 9.30-10 so I was thinking of switching to taking it at night.

Glad it's working for you.

Soph

• Posted

Might give this  a try... Wonder  why. It tells you to take it first thing befire brekkie? 
  • Posted

Hi Doreen so glad you aree feeling better. I tried taking my thyroxine at

night , it kept me a wake and buzzy all night. My thyroid has been stabe for years, now its up and down my main symptom is fatigue and a really

weird feeling in my head sometimes vacant very dreamy, disorientated. I will have another go at taking this evening.

• Posted

Hi I'm new to taking levothyroxine and on 150mg. Ive been feeling increasingly terrible - foggy headed, fatigued, aches and pains (mainly in the left side of my boby) and not surprisingly low in mood, confidence etc. I take my thyroxine in the morning but am going to switch to evening and see if that helps. The Endocrinologist didn't suggest I would feel as awful as I do and it's reassiring to hear others have expirienced this - but I'm also hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel and this isn't how I'll feel forever.

• Posted

Hi Doreen. So pleased to have found this site and forum. I started taking thyroxine in the spring of 2013 and now take 150mg every day. From this evening I am going to try the night time regime and see how I go. Very interesting to read about the 100mg tablet maybe not being as effective as it could be and maybe changing to a different brand.Being 52 I tend to put sluggishness and brain fog all down to the menopause! I am amazed at the lack of information given out by doctors and having to find info out via the internet. Thank goodness for that at least. Will post how I get on.

Sue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.