Taking propranolol first time

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi. I'm been prescribed sertraline 100mg and 40 mg of propranolol for a anxiety disorder which I'm had for a year now. It's the first time I'm took the propranolol and the first thing I did was panicked. I'm had this panick for a few hours now and I'm debating whether to take another one. Can anyone giver some guidance as after a year of treatment and still having attacks I'm at my wits end. Thanx

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi x I am new to Prop. I have chronic insomnia and have stopped drinking alcohol for one month and have started panic attacks. the first night I had 20g 5.30pm and same at 11pm then slept for 9 hours staright -first time in YEARS! so I took even more next da and well, ...ever since then I think P is increasing anxiety, STOPPING me from sleeping and I feel very ill and clumsy and disorienated and also psychotic. don't know where I am but getting no relief. one week in. I simply don't know whether to take more...or stop. sad
  • Posted

Hi James Iv been getting anxiety for around a month

And been prescribed propranolol 40 2tines a day

Iv tock one at 11 and to scared to take another

As been reading about deaths ect and freaking myself out

Did you take another?

• Posted

There will be a few people that will have read this post......Let us know how You are doing now James!
  • Posted

Hey guys n gals

thought I would try and allay some fears

I take propranolol and have been for 3 years now

I had to take it for a different problem but started out needing

240mg, yes 240mg a day!

I survived and now take just 40mg a day.

my advice, loose the fear and take the drug. It works!

• Posted

Hi, I just got prescribed propranolol. 20mg 3 times a day. It was for my anexiety n blood pressure. I took it the first day as prescribed and was fine. The next day I was so lightheaded/dizzy all day. My boss said I looked pale. My Dr told me if I felt like that to break it in half an take that. So I did that and I didn't feel as lightheaded but still felt it alil bit. I cld real when it was time to take my pill cause felt like myself for that moment. Called my Dr and told her she wanted to decrease the dose to half a pill twice a day. I asked her if I cld just get the blood pressure med I took a long time ago. After reading some of theses post I'm considering giving it another try. Has anybody else had the lightheadedNess and trouble focusing when n taking it?

• Posted

hi there

the lightheaded feeling you have is caused by the drug slowing your heart rate and your body is not used to it. same with your focus issue. if u think about it you have been used to your heart rate batting along with high blood pressure so being lower is alien to you.

persevere with the lower dose and the symptoms will fade off over a week or so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.