Taking Selincro for alcohol anyone else taken it?

Posted , 25 users are following.

Am taking Selincro new tablet for lowering alcohol consumption anyone else on it?

5 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As an alcohol treatment practitioner, I would be interested to know how it works for you Shirley smile
    • Posted

Ok will keep you posted 

: at the moment I had no sleep at all last night one of side effects & tummy bloated to make you feel full up and I do that's it so far 

• Posted

Hi Paul have taken 3 tablets now but feel like I've been on a dose of Librium and feel tired and no energy beginning to wonder if I want to stay on it! 
    • Posted

Shirley, you often mind that medication can have that sort of effect in the first few days and that it wears off. Unless you have any worrying side-effects, shich you should report to your doctor, I would try and stick with it until your body gets accustomed to it.
    • Posted

Hi all , I took my fist pill last night working in London Friday is always a big night for drinking including the train and and normally more when I get home - last night I had a total of 3 drink and was in bed by 9:45pm felt shattered !! Still feel shattered today and defo feel the effect of the tablet . Paul the leaflet that came with the prescription said take in a day you believe you will drink and for me that's every other day however I still do not have the urge today so it's definitely doing something ?

• Posted

Wow, I went to my doctor to try and ask for it and he hadnt heard of it before.  Many doctors havent.  Madness sad  So I am being sent to an alcohol outreach person and still waiting for them to look into it as to whether thet allowed to recommend it.  Did your doctor prescribe it straight away?  How are you finding the drugs? x
    • Posted

Hi Emma I was fortunate to by it privately my dr hadn't heard of it either I'm ok but feel as though I'm dosed up on Librium! Having said that after two tabs managed to drop one drink yesterday!  Almost gave up earlier but will persevere a bit longer see if effects wear off other thing was the first night I didn't sleep all night better last night though x
    • Posted

Shocking that NHS doctors haven't heard of it, it's been all over the news since it was licenced for use with alcohol problems recently. I guess that is more evidence of the lack of interest from many health professionals in alcohol. When alcohol costs the NHS over £80 billion a year, you have to question what the hell is going on.

• Posted

Hi Paul  am totally in agreement I believe it's going on the NHS eventually my Consultant knew about but I'm only the second person he's prescribed it to I know I'm being monitored on it by the Company that makes it but even so....
  • Posted

I heard it was quite expensive?  Say £3 a tablet and alot if have one every day?

How much do you tend to drink per day etc?  How much would one drink tend to be that you have cut down?

Hope I manage to get some selincro soon too smile

• Posted

Tablets are expensive £50 for 14 and then back to Consult t I drink approx 1xdbl. V&T around dinner time. Or sometimes lge Rose and then up to four dbls V&T at 10pm!,! have cut one dbl biggrinso far trying another tonight x
  • Posted

That doesnt sound terrible amount I guess.  My problem is I have wine and so, don't measure specifically.  A bottle or two become a bit of a blur.  Lose control and blank out throughout the week :S

• Posted

That does sound bit much is that every day? I drink every day if we go out for dinner I get absolutely smashed and can't walk - not a good look! X
    • Posted

Emma .

my son blacked out and some one tried to kill him..

it was the worse day of our lives. Our family hurt so much for him. He didn't remember anything. He was on life support for two weeks.

ill never get that pic out of my head.. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.