Taking Selincro for alcohol anyone else taken it?

Posted , 25 users are following.

Am taking Selincro new tablet for lowering alcohol consumption anyone else on it?

5 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Say a bottle on 4 nights and 2 bottles on 3 x nights.  This last week was more bad cos had row with family etc sad  Not had any for 2 nights now so better than nothing smile I felt exhausted and struggle to go to work or do anything.  Yes I get to the point that cant walk eeek! Bad! x
    • Posted

Emma,

you having trouble walking ?.

Alcohol has depleted your system of Viamim B6,this vitamin is vital to your health.

While eating & drinking the alcohol destroys the vital B6 in any food causing atrophy of the limbs.

See your Doctor and get some help with Thiamine/B6 in a high dossage.This will rectify your situation.

Good luck----Mike

• Posted

Hiya,

Sorry, when I meant I couldnt walk I meant more when I am off my face on drink and don't know what I am doing sad

Have gone to see A Team and their powers that be wont recommend nalmefene as there is no set recommended protocol.  Ridiculous.  Better to let me ruin my life slowly but surely....

• Posted

It's more than vitamins it's alcohol... Magnesium is one of the first to go. Once in the hospital it's given thru an IV to help regulate the system is system, thryoid , and adrenel glands without it after time death can come quickly.

Just recently a well known actress died of alcoholism in her sleep.  See you tube tribute to actress on Modern Family tv show in the US.sad

• Posted

Hi Shirley,

How are you getting on with the tablets? Do you find they have massively helped yet? Do they make you feel less like you need to drink like there no tomorrow lol? What side effects did you get?

My dr has prescribed them me. Just need to wait 5 days for pharmacy to get them in :D

• Posted

Hi Emma

Really pleased you've managed to get it was it NHS? The side effects weren't bad really I felt like I was on Librium for a couple of days and then it wore off so nothing now.

i have managed to drop a "double" which is good I don't get the urge to always want more now, so yes I think it's working smile let me know how you get onsmile

• Posted

Yes NHS. Hope to god it helps. I can quite easily drink a bottle of wine and have urge for more without being aware im on the way to passing out. most feel drunk and slow down. I drink so fast im drunk and dont even feel it until too late and pass out. Im hoping the tablets slow me down and take away the urge. I want my life back x
    • Posted

Hello Emma,

your on the right track. Please contact Paul if u Need a better choice to help with UR addiction. Usually there r so many reasons for drinking. It's getting to the root of the issue taking responsibility and accepting what was and put it in th past . It's never easy. I am here to encourage u anytime. PLZ write and keep us posted. 

Remember this is UR journey it's UR pathe to sobriety. Take charge and fight for what you deserve in life.

if UR wondering who the heck I am read my story  posted.

Its he life of my addicted alcoholic son all he has been thru the past 20 years. He stared drinking as a teen.

Many u will not need to go thru the same route as he did.  U can stop now.. Then UR saving urself & family unspeakable pain.

much success to u and many ays and years of sobriety to come!!!!

• Posted

I have deleted the whole sub discussion that turned into arguments/personal attacks. If this happens in future can users PLEASE use the report link rather than replying and getting into disagreements in the discussions. No-one had reported this discussion to me, I just noticed it in passing. If it had been reported I could've stepped in before it went on as long as it did. If users do continue with personal attacks etc then their account will be deactivated.

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Thanks Alan smile I was trying to avoid reporting as I could see he was having a bad day but felt the need to defend myself.
    • Posted

Wow, I am new here so have only just started reading this stuffs.

Is there really anything good to report or just bad feelings?

All I want is the truth to my question. Is there any medication like Nalmefene to help me slow down my drinking or is it all hype?

• Posted

Hi Shirley,

I took first tablet yesterday. Feel awful. Was sick within 2 hours and couldn't really do much. Couldn't eat at all. Didn't sleep all night and had occasional pins and needles. Bit scared to take next tablet sad but is this normal? Side effects said to be common. Does it take long to ease off?

• Posted

Hi Emma

I didn't feel nauseous but I did feel spaced for about a week and then it was ok persevere with it and keep in touch with how you are feeling x

• Posted

I feel absolutely awful. Was actually sick and even now still feel sick. Feel really out of it. So hard to be at work right now sad and no holiday left to take. Just hope the sickness calms down x
    • Posted

It will Emma. Many drugs have side effects that subside once your body gets accustomed to them
    • Posted

I hope so sad  I feel soooo ill.  I take paroxetine (not right now as feel sick enough) but when first started to take that I felt nauseous but not enough to make me physically sick and it did not last for long.  This however seems so much more severe.  Took the tablet at 6 last night and within 2 hours felt awful.  Felt a little better at lunch today but now feel more sick again.  Worried not to take the tablet every day in case you get the side effects all over again if you do not keep a constant level in your system.  It says this is a drug you can take as and when you feel a risk of drinking heavily and not have to take every day, but as you say, your body will experience side effects if not used to the drug?  Gosh I feel like I have a real illness sad  So wish could call in ill at work sad
    • Posted

Yes, that is the problem. It is advised that you take it before you expect to drink, but you need to build up your body's tolerance first and it doesn't appear that they have throught that through properly. I think taking it for at least a week or maybe two is worth doing to overcome those side effects before changing to taking it only before you drink.

• Posted

I definitely need to try a whole week. If it helps my drinking then this feeling so bad has to be worth it. Can't even think about drink without feeling sick. Ironic lol :D
    • Posted

Hi Emma

Totally agree with Paul you have to wait around a weeki felt totally spaced out at first but that goes I also have been awake all night as well so the comforting thing (if you can think of it like that) is that I've had side effects as well so you're not on your own x

• Posted

Think im just not used to anything like this I guess. Am big wise lol :D did the sleep take a week to get better too? X
    • Posted

Hi 

sorry took so long to get back- I didn't sleep for 2-3 nights then got a bit better how is it going? X

• Posted

Hi,

It waaay better that the first night as not being sick now which is good and can actually eat now.  But stil feel sick which gets better and worse throughout the day.  Did actually get some sleep last night which was good.  Still struggle to concentrate at work etc.  Hows it going for you?

I can't even think about drink at the moment which is amazing lol.  I have had a bottle of red wine in my cupboard for 3 days now.  Something that has never lasted before smile

Miracles smile  Its just like I have an ongoing hangover to achieve it hehe smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.