Taking Selincro for alcohol anyone else taken it?

Posted , 25 users are following.

Am taking Selincro new tablet for lowering alcohol consumption anyone else on it?

5 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Shirley 43717

Im going to my GP on Friday 21/11/2014 to ask if i can get on them, like yourself i am a binge drinker but i do it every weekend. ive printes of Nalmefene information, just incase my dr has not heard of it.

• Posted

That is a good idea to print off the Nalmefene information smile How times have moved on with the Internet and better education of us all regarding any health problems we need help with. You will help others too if your GP hasn't heard of it and you raise his/her awareness of its existence smile
    • Posted

Thanks Paul

I really need to get this in order i am a binge drinker and want to cut down

have a problem with binge drinking mostly at weekends, Friday & Saturday, but sometimes i do it on a Thursday. I'm seeing my GP on Friday to ask if they can prescribe me Nalmefene (Selincro). the units per week are very high. Can Vary from 70 to 123. I don't drink during the week and does not bother me, but when the weekend comes i tend to drink a huge amount. My home life is great, i wonder if its a habit or because of my work. I am a funeral director so i am around grieving families and death every day. I find that when the work week is done this is my release.

can anyone give me some advice.

• Posted

(I'm sure I had answered this beforem but fortunately, I kept a copy as I always do here because messages often fail to post!) Maybe I answered it on a different thread but here is the answer I gave anyway:

Nalmefene is recommended for people who drink around 42 units a week. However, I would hope your doctor is able to use some discretion on this.

You are clearly not physically dependent on alcohol as you go days without a drink and don't suffer physical withdrawal symptoms. However, you are psychologically dependent on drinking heavily at the weekends to wind down.

• Posted

Hi,  I am about to begin a course tomorrow - quite concerned after seeing side effects as I'm a teacher - don't want to be feeling ill.  If only I'd found this last week and could have started then.

I went to GP twice.  Was turneddsown 1st time, I agree that they seem to have very little knowledge about it.  The 2nd time - week before xmas, I went 'armed' with info as to why I felt I should have it.  My Doc listened but did try to come up with reasons as to why I couldn't have it but as I say I had all the info ready.  He couldn't prescribe on NHS but offered me a private prescription.  Have bought it today, £63 for two weeks!

• Posted

It does appear that those who suffer bad side effects say something about them and those who don't suffer, obviously don't say anything, why would they? Side effects affect a limited number of people but we hear from those who are affected. You may get lucky and avoid side effects. As people have said here, they tend to subside over seven days, but I do understand your concerns if you need to be on top form.
  • Posted

I have just taken my first pill and I feel quite strange. Almost drowsy
  • Posted

Wow...I'm new on here and feeling like I shouldn't even try Nalmefene. Is there any other med that works like Nalmefene to remedy cravings? Wishing you well Shirl.
    • Posted

I heard of kudzu herbal remendy from an alternative health practioner.  I am still researching it.  It gets high ratings on reviews.  It is suppose to cut cravings.  I am still researching the Sinclaire Method.  Also.
  • Posted

Just found your blog and felt compelled to share!  My experience is good and bad, I’m afraid.  On the good side, I can say without fear of contradiction that ingesting Selincro successfully knocks out any desire to drink alcohol – unfortunately, in my case, it also seems to leave me bereft of the desire to live!  Alright, slightly dramatic, but it does knock the stuffing out of me in a way that is both deeply unpleasant and not at all what I anticipated.

Everything kicks off for me around an hour after taking a dose.  Suddenly I feel sort of spaced out, but not in any pleasant way – uncomfortably disconnected would be nearer the truth and, frankly, quite depressed. It takes me to a dark place that I don’t at all relish visiting.   Other worrying symptoms that occur at each dosage are frequent urinating and visible shrinking of male appendages, which mercifully revert to their normal size when the effects begin to wear off!  I can testify that drinking alcohol is the last thing on my mind when taking Selincro; instead, I feel so rotten that I often opt for early bed.  Unfortunately, that doesn’t work out either, due to frequent visits to the bathroom.  It does seem that the drug reacts to my system in a particularly virulent way.

The outcome of all this is a perverse, yet so far successful, reverse logic, whereby I mentally threaten myself that any attempt to reach for a bottle of alcohol on designated “dry” days will result in swift recourse to the Selincro packet!  This deterrent is proving surprisingly effective and hopefully will negate the need for frequently repeated doses – frankly, I think I would end up suicidal with any sustained usage!  As I have now hit my 60s, this strategy is something I can realistically turn to.  My drinking was excessive by any reckoning and I am grateful for any workable solution.

Perhaps what hurts most is that, in my eagerness to procure the wonder drug, I opted for a three month supply from Pharmacy2U.  Ouch!  Unfortunately you can’t return them and it’s illegal to sell or pass them on.  Another lesson learnt in life’s rich tapestry!

• Posted

You have been badly advised.

Do NOT take Nalmefene every day. Only take it on days when you will be drinking. Otherwise, it will block endorphins ALL of the time. Initially, you will need to take it daily if you have had a daily habit. But, over time, it will reduce your need to drink and you will find yourself having days off from drinking. When that happens, you can start doing other pleasurable things on the days that you don't drink and, therefore, don't take a pill.

Based on that, you could find your three month's supply lasting way longer than three months.

• Posted

I appreciate your sound advice, Paul, and certainly would not contemplate taking Selincro on a daily basis.  Equally, I am quite sure that everyone who tries it is not necessarily going to have anything like the same reaction as I have experienced.  Just wanted to share and, out of curiosity, wondered how others have reacted.  I don't want to end up popping pills all day, but do you think a GP could prescribe anything to counter the negative side effects, or would that be counter-productive?
    • Posted

Maybe something could be prescribed for the nausea that some people suffer.

To be honest, some of the side-effects you describe, I have never heard about before with Nalmefene.

• Posted

Yes, I agree it's curious - I don't have any trouble normally with allergies etc.  Does anything spring to your mind to counter nausea?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.