Taking Selincro for alcohol anyone else taken it?

Posted , 25 users are following.

Am taking Selincro new tablet for lowering alcohol consumption anyone else on it?

5 likes, 89 replies

89 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I have tried it, but it did nt work for me.
  • Posted

Hi,

Started Selincro for the first time yesterday. Had no side affects at all at first and didn't really notice much difference in how much I drank (well perhaps a little). Later on in the evening started to fell a bit distant from myself and emotions. But OMG what a bad night ! Fell asleep, woke up, fell asleep, woke up and so on at short regular interveals all night !Also with this weired invouluntary stretching thing all over my body. I am usuallly a really good sleeper. Feel quite odd today but I guess thats mostly down to tiredness. Just taken second pill...which I really did'nt want to do but I just need to get through this and keep going in the hope that sympyoms will wear off soon and it will all be worth it. No such thing as a free lunch, right ?

• Posted

It is worth sticking with.

There is an issue with Nalmefene (Selincro) stopping pleasure from other healthier activities too which may explain that distant feeling with your emotions.

I will post a full explanation on here when I have a little more time but, for now, just be aware that the most important thing is to sort out the drinking. Later, as the drug does its job, you will feel less of an urge for a drink and it is then that you need to have days off from drinking and Nalmefene (Selincro) in order to do other pleasurable things on those days and enjoy them fully.

The other side effects will subside over the next few days.

• Posted

Yeah...got the involuntary stretching thing too....accompanied by huge yawns.  I know "No pain no gain" but this has to be one of the most deeply unpleasant experiences you can pay good money for.  Still, certainly takes your mind off drinking!
    • Posted

Having a drink now...quite nice but not the usual yaay I love it feeling ! So tired and spacey though so cant tell my real feelings. Not in pain, sick or hurting in any way so being positive..... just wondering what tonights attempt at sleep will bring ! How long have you been taking it and how long do symptoms last ? Can't be too long or too bad or no-one would want to take it. Felt like my heart was made of cardboard today !
  • Posted

Thanks Paul, Got a bit worried today as I read somewhere that Selincro switches off all your endorphines , which sounds grim. I am a bit confused about the taking it everyday thing as that is what I have been told to do. Perhaps because I drink every day ? Anyway all help and suport very much appreciated on here. I am doing this totally alone, and not telling any-one as I want to keep this private but obviously finding hard to put a brave face on things and try to act like I normally do, when I feel so odd.

• Posted

It doesn't switch off endorphins, it blocks opoid receptors so that the endorphins can't attach to them, giving you 'reward.' The problem with that is that other things, like eating sweet and spicy foods, riding roller coasters, hard exercise, extreme sports and sex affect the same receptors. If you block them permanently (by taking Selincro every day) you will not gain the same pleasure from these other activities.

If you are drinking every day, you will need to take Selincro every day but, because, over time, the action of blocking the opioid receptors reduces the reward you get from drinking, you will find that you don't need to drink every day and can do other pleasurable things on your non-drinking days. You MUST take Selincro on days that you drink.

• Posted

Thanks...thank God I don't eat sweets and hate roller coasters ! All will be well.
    • Posted

I have also read that you should have therapy whilst taking Selincro. I am not, does this matter ?
    • Posted

I have been taking nalmefene for a month now.  I am a daily drinker, rather than a binge drinkers, so take it every day at the same time before my regular evening drinking slot.  It has worked very well in halving the amount of alcohol I drink, however, I am absolutely exhausted from it.  I am still waiting though for a day to happen when I do not want to drink, and that hasn't happened yet.  Will the exhaustion only go once I stop taking it daily? When will I stop wanting to drink daily? 
    • Posted

Boo, that is the recommendation given by NICE with regard to NHS prescribing of Nalmefene. The research done on The Sinclair Method shows now additional benefit from counselling although it is better if people are educated about how it works.
    • Posted

It will happen, Badga. It is impossible to say when as people differ. You will need to be down to a level where you can try a day without drinking without suffering physical withdrawal symptoms. Once you can do one day, you will be able to have regular days off from drinking and Nalmefene.

• Posted

I never drank to the extent that I would suffer physical withdrawal.  About 8 to 10 units a day.  I am now down to 4 units a day, but still feel the urge to drink every day.  I do not want to have a day without drink.
    • Posted

The issue with not having a day without drink is that you won't get a day without Nalmefene and the pleasure from other activities will then be affected. It really is a case of you choosing between alcohol and other pleasurable activities on certain days.

I think you will find that, over time, alcohol will become less important to you as the Nalmefene keeps blocking the reward you get. That is how most people describe it 'I suddenly found that i was no longer drinking every day.'

• Posted

It differs from person to person, Badga, but the research suggests that 'phamacological extinction' (reversal of addiction) takes 3-4 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.