Taking terbinafine 250mg for 6 weeks for toenail fungus and have taste disturbances

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys im female 34yrs 5ft 4 about 8 stone fit and healthy and have been taking terbinafine/lamisil oral 250mg tablets for a toenail fungus.

6 weeks into taking the tablets and i have a metalic taste, dryish mouth and defo have a distorted taste. things taste bland, lemon is not as sharp, crackers bread all that kinda stuff tastes bland. its like my taste buds have gone from the back of the tongue. other posts people said they stopped the terbinafine immediatly. but i have continued for 3 days untill doctors in 2 days the thing is my toenail is the thing that is sooooo depressing and this is my last resort so i want to push through it the symtom is bearable atm il push through anything to get rid of this horrible foot of toenails but i dont want to be severely internally harming myself. my liver functions are normal any views on this if i continue to take. will the symptom go? Most of the posts said people stopped immedietly. i dont think my loss is to extreme atm.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i had to take oral terbinafine/Lamisil for eight months to clear the infection and yes it is unpleasant, but did help. I did not have the medicine affect my taste buds although it seems to of made me very sensitive to caffeine in coffee and a few other things, which still continues somewhat almost a year later. I think it affects everyone very differently. Take it for as long as you can just to get rid of the infection. I would recommend eating Greek yogurt every day and taking pre-biotics and probiotics, to put a lot of good bacteria back in your system. Toss out all your shoes. Buy white socks so that you can wash them in hot water and bleach them for a few months, and buy a ultraviolet light shoe sanitizer through Amazon, which I used for a few months to make sure the infection had cleared and that my shoes were also kept clean and I would not reinfect my feet. Some people recommend just freezing their shoes in a Ziploc bag and leaving them in the freezer for 48 hours. I also did this and that seemed to help. Go barefoot! let your toes breathe! best of luck!

• Posted

Am unsure of symptoms going away or getting worse. I went through a 10 week taste problem and lost over 15 pounds. https://patient.info/forums/discuss/need-support-for-major-taste-disturbance-after-taking-lamisil-709306?page=2#3595304

Pushing through this was not an option. I took for 1 month and there was no effect on my fungus. With 6 wks into taking, you should notice some effect on your nails. If I were in your situation, I may continue if I saw some positive effect on the nails. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Steve:

My infection had spread to my skin and was feeling pretty bad in general. It actually took 45 days for me to begin to notice any change at all and then it was very slight. i started researching this on-line and many people dealing with this advised 6-12 months on oral terbinafine before a complete recovery. I was stunned, but it really did take that long and without a doubt affected my overall health. Ask your doctor if you can switch to oral fluconozole, which is taken for yeast over-growth and has much fewer side effects. Get the terbinafine creme (Lamisil) and rub that onto your toes twice a day. wash your feet twice a day with Defense brand soap (order it from Amazon or Walmart on-line). I highly recommend the bar soap, it is an anti-fungal soap and makes your feet feel good too. worth every dime. i hope this information helps.

• Posted

Thankyou for your input guys its really appreciated. I am seeing results so i would like to stick with it but yes what a horrible drug, it seems the side effects are just rotton. I think if my taste goes completly then i may have to discontinue but atm it is bareable and i will continue to take as long as i can x

• Posted

Took oral Terbinafine for 10 of the 12 prescribed weeks for onychomycosis of the pinky toe, and stopped three days after starting to lose my sense of taste.

I'm now in week two of everything tasting horrible and enduring a ceaseless unpleasant-tasting dry mouth and I just don't really like being alive anymore. If I'd been told that this was a possible side-effect, and that it would probably last for six-eight weeks but could be permanent, I'd have never taken the pills. The doctor didn't tell me that chemical matrixectomy was an option, and I'd have definitely chosen it if he had.

I've never been so depressed. If it doesn't return to normal soon I'm not sure what I'll do.

• Posted

Are you doing better? I'm in week two of this awful experience. Did you find anything that helped? I really hate the constant bitter taste and would love to hear some way to relieve that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.