Taking The Plunge

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm longing to get back in the pool and start swimming again . I am 7weeks post op. 

Has anyone else managed to go swimming yet? 

How soon after the op did you go?

did you face any difficulties ?

How did it feel using tour new in the water ?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was going to ask that too. I will be 6 weeks this Thursday, also, small a bit hesitant getting in and out of a pool
    • Posted

I intend taking crutches pool side just in case worried about slipping. We have ladder type steps so I was going ti turn around facing the steps on the way in. We have a hoist in our pool but the comedy possibilities are far too great lol
  • Posted

I was going to ask that too. I will be 6 weeks this Thursday, also aml a bit hesitant getting in and out of a pool
    • Posted

I think as long as your wound has healed over and no scabbiness I think it's fine. I am a bit worried how it will all feel
    • Posted

Worried also bout getting out or getting stuck
  • Posted

We are going to ask the same question when we see the consultant on the 13th. I have asked at the local gym and they said to make sure you use a pool with a hoist for getting in and out to make sure you are safe.
  • Posted

Hi Soobeedoo, I'm four and a half weeks post Tibial tuberosity transfer and I started swimmng again at the end of week 2 post op (as advised by Dr).

I started with a pull bouy float between my knees for the first two sessions, but I'm no longer using it as letting my leg move around as I swim helps all the stabilising muscles and ligaments to get back on board and do their job.

The freedom of the water is great, just be very careful on the wet surfaces!

• Posted

I had a TKR and was advised to wait for the wound to heal and be joined together properly at about 6+ weeks. I can't wait to get back in bit daunting first time.
    • Posted

My Dr was happy with my wound healing progress after 2 weeks and all I did for my first 2 sessions was apply a large waterproof dressing, just to be on the safe side (had to get a special ones from the chemist to cover the 4 inch incision).
    • Posted

You are lucky with a 4 inch incision. Mine is 9 inches!
  • Posted

I used a pull bouy between my thighs to swim at 6 weeks last TKR and did the same at 7 weeks this time. My kick is still pathetic so I am working on it separately using a float. My kick is stronger on my back than front right now. It took about 5 months till I was back in form (3 kms. In 60 minutes) last TKR .To get stronger I spend lots of time doing bicycle motions with both my arms and legs while supported by a floater belt around my waist at first and now aquabells in my hands. This is very good for my overall strength and respiratory health. It is amazing how weak one gets after surgery and a month of slow recovery! In the water is the only place that I can workout nearly pain free so I am there 5 days a week. I worked up from 2 times a week in week 4.  I think it is the key to quick and lasting recovery. Enjoy! Oh yes. I also got on a recumbent bike two days ago for 10 minutes even though I have only enough flexion to stretch out far to do it. I only have 90 degrees at almost 9 weeks as I had hardware removed and 7 surgeries on this knee in the past 38 years...I feel that small improvements are occurring every day now. Yay!
    • Posted

Oh yes. To get into the pool step down the ladder backwards one step at a time with the new knee so it doesn't have to bend far. Coming out will take more arm strength to pull up  if you are not tall enough to sit on the edge and get up off the floor. Or find a pool with stairs or ramp like I have. By all means have your crutch there by the pool till you can to without it!
    • Posted

That's a great encouragement and positive story. I am hoping to do a triathlon in July so need to get moving in the beginnings of a hint if training
  • Posted

I too am a swimmer, I am dying to get back into the water, tub, jacuzzi,  pool - whatever!!! My doc says after 6 week checkup and X-ray, if all good he will clear me to swim. Thankfully my pool has beach entry as well as ladders, not sure if I could manage the ladder yet! Happy swimming all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.