Taking The Plunge

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm longing to get back in the pool and start swimming again . I am 7weeks post op. 

Has anyone else managed to go swimming yet? 

How soon after the op did you go?

did you face any difficulties ?

How did it feel using tour new in the water ?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been trying breast stroke - a bit untidy but getting there -I'm 12 weeks in and it definitely works muscles i had forgotten new aches but positive
    • Posted

Ooooo I was warned off breast stroke because of the angle the knee goes to. I tend to do a weak kick crawl
  • Posted

I was swimming at six weeks. It depends on how well your scar has healed.My physio gave me the go ahead so it's best to ask first. It felt great althoughI was nervous of going down the steps at first.
  • Posted

As I am in Oz, we have an outside spa at 37.5 deg. C. I started in this at 6.5 weeks after the scar was completely healed with no scabs. the risk of infection worried me and I wouldn't go in before. Obviously I can't swim in there but the knee feels and moves really well in there doing bends etc, I limit it to about 15 minutes and spray cold water on the knee for 5 minutes afterwards. I think it helps a lot.
  • Posted

yes i did , i went swimming every day before my tkr , brillant for building up , after 6 weeks i went back and found it tough going , i normaly swim breast stroke but after surgery you cant do it as the movement is bad for your knee as you have to twist the joint , i started swimming like riding a bike up wards that was ok but slow ,or you could do crawl slowly and use a flote , you need to build your knee up again , think i was back to normal swimming at about 12 weeks ,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.