Tamsulosin vs Alfuzosin

Posted , 14 users are following.

I am currently taking two Tamsulosin every day - one in the morning and one in the evening. I have read in various places on the net that Alfuzosin may be more effective at relieving urinary retention symptoms. I don't know if this true or not and would appreciate any advice from anyone on this forum who has experience with both. If I decided to switch to Alfuzosin how should I switch - gradually or all at once? The cost of Alfuzosin is higher than Tamsulosin so for me to switch it would have to be worth it - actually, the Alfuzosin is a LOT more expensive than Tamsulosin.

Thanks in advance for any advice/info.....

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Why are you only consider Alfuzosin ? I am taking Doxazosin. It's very low cost. It may be more effective than Alfuzosin, but comes with another cost: more chances of getting retro ejaculation.

• Posted

Hank,

I will look into Doxazosin vs Tamsulosin. Some of these Alpha Blockers are generic and some are not and this may be why there is a cost difference. Tamsulosin is very cheap. Just got 200 for $36 - that's .18c each. The pricing on the Alfuzosin was triple. My insurance said that Alfuzosin was not on their "formulary" - in other words, it costs a lot more.

Tom

• Posted

I paid US$16 for 90-day supply of 8mg Doxazosin at RiteAid, cash, no insurance needed. I then cut pills in halves so it lasts me 180 days. I used to cut them in quarters and it lasted me for 360 days.

• Posted

I just started taking the Alfuzoisn about a month ago. It takes a lot to get use to... It made me very dizzy when I took it the first few times. One night I feel to the floor. Then I statred cutting it in half and that helped. Now i'm on the full dose. Yes VeRY expensive! But it works for me so far and no other sexual side effects!!!!!!! I had the rezum and it was a waste of my time. My urio dr.wants to do a new procedure call aqua blation on me........... I'm waiting to see how I do on this drug before I do anything else?????? THANKS

• Posted

Leon,

From the studies I read Alfuzosin lowers blood pressure more than Tamsulosin, so that's probably why it made you dizzy. When I first started on the Tamsulosin (Flomax) many years ago I got a bit light headed, but now I am completely used to it, so no effect. If you take your own blood pressure readings at home this might give you more insight about why the Alfuzosin made you dizzy. Thanks for the info. If I start on the Alfuzosin I might just start with 1/2 tablet at first. I am just looking for something that will do a better job of helping me empty my bladder so I can sleep longer at night.

Tom

• Posted

Leon,

About the aquablation...as you probably already know it's another way of cutting away prostate tissue with a high pressure water jet instead of a cutting loop (as with a TURP). I would do a lot of research first about side effects - that is, prostate swelling after the procedure, length of time you would have to have a Foley Catheter, anesthesia, how long before you are released to go home, insurance costs etc. Sorry to hear you had the Rezum and it didn't work. Perhaps the steam didn't hit the parts of your prostate that are blocking you. I had a PAE and it "sort of" worked, but then I found out that my median lobe was an issue. Now, the IR doctors know about the median lobe situation and may be able to "fix" me with a second PAE. Perhaps you have the same issue.

Good luck with your research,

Tom

• Posted

Leon,

Would you mind sharing who your uro is with me in a private message. I am looking into Aquablation as my next step. I have already had two less invasive procedures that worked for a time, now not so good. I recently started taking Flomax again, maybe two months ago. Not very good results, so upped the dose to two per day last week. Don't like the side effects, runny nose, low libido. Interesting to read about it making tinnitus worse, I have that as well. I don't need more problems there.

Thanks

• Posted

Tom,

Why not go with a urolift ? That is what I am going to get.

• Posted

Lew,

Because I have a median lobe issue and the normal Urolift won't help me. No one locally does the medlift procedure and I would have to pay out of pocket. Also, after Urolift there is a period of side effects, pain, bleeding, catheter etc. I would prefer a second PAE as my first option.

Tom

• Posted

I prefer alfuzosin. Started on tamsulosin but it worsened by tinnitus. I was taking it with dutasteride and my libido was very low. I switched to alfuzosin and now my libido is pretty much back to where it was. I don't have any issues with RE.

It seems that alfuzosin is prescribed more in Europe than in the US. My uro had never prescribed it before I brought it up. Since then he has been prescribing it more.

There is also potentially one other big reason to switch. A paper published by opthalmologists at the University of California San Francisco reported that alfuzosin is much less likely to cause floppy iris syndrome, which can make cataract surgery more difficult.

• Posted

rdemyan,

Thanks for the info. I don't have any side effects from the Tamsulosin - just want to improve my urine flow until I can decide if I am going to move forward with a second PAE or a bipolar TURP or something else.

Tom

• Posted

Keep us informed with what you decide to do and good luck!

• Posted

I was taking Flomax for some, maybe 4-5 years, and got retro(dry ejaculation), I didn't like it, after reading more, learn this is typical side effect for Flomax/Tamsulosin, so I switched to Alfuzosin, which, generally does not cause retro, and after few weeks recovered most, but not all of my ejaculant, maybe recovered ~75%, no more retro!! and that was some 4 years ago, no other side effects experienced

• Posted

I have been taking a diuretic for retention for several years. It has no side effects and works great. Since it is only available by prescription your doctor would have to approve if it is right for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.