Tapentadol - any information?

Posted , 11 users are following.

The doctor I saw at my local Pain Clinic recommend Tapentadol to help with the Chronic Pain I suffer from. Sadly my local Primary Care Trust has blacklisted this pain killer and the Dr. I saw at the clinic has since left. I wonder if any readers has any information about Tapentadol? I intend to request

funding as it seems this is the only pain killer I have yet to try. I'm reaching the end of my tether and can't cope with being in constant pain much longer.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I have just seen this post, I am taking tapentadol, prescribed my my consultant at the pain clinic, I have been on this for nearly a year.
    • Posted

Hi tam have you had any respiratory problems on the tapentadol?
    • Posted

Hi Tam

Looking for people who are taking tapentadol.   I have cervical spondylosis which gives me extreme pain.  I take numerous tabs including morphine slow release and oramorph liquid.Nothing works.   Have had bad reactions to others meds e.g. duloxetine - sickness and diaorrhea.   What dosage of tapentadol do you take and does it help your pain.   Your reply would be helpful to me as I am running out of medications to try.I am in pain 24/7 and screaming in agony at times.   If I thought this tab would work I would give it a try and ask my doc if I can have it on prescription.   My doc is very supportive and sympathetic so I don't think there would be a problem.   It would be great to hear how tapentadol works for you.   thanks in advance.

|Arran103

• Posted

I suffer with chronic pain and have tried every pain med available in the UK and in January this year asked me to try Tapendatol, he started me on a low dose and under the instruction of my GP it was gradually increased and my other pain medication reduced. by the time I was on 200mg I was very ill, I could not go to the toilet my breathing was so bad just walking 5m I was out of breath and strugeling to breath and that is not the worst of it. In the end I made an apointment to see the GP and insisted I go back to my other medication which is the only thing that has worked for me which is Fentanyl Duragesic Transthermaol patches. The problem I have now is it has left me with breathing problems. I contacted the manufactuer of this drug and there response was see your GP.
  • Posted

Hi im new to the forum just working out how to use it. I have been on tapentadol for 2 months nowmy consultant at the hospital pain clinic precribed it to use along side my lidocaine patches. Have you asked why it was blacklisted
    • Posted

dON'T KNOW why it is blacklisted but talking to others it seems that it is worse than taking Morphine for the side afects and I can confirm that myself. I think with a lot of mredication and consultants it is a game of trial and era and the only thing that has worked for me is Fentanyl Duragesic Transthermaol patches but when I was admited to hospital once I had Paracetamol put into me through a drip and I have never been better since being ill.
  • Posted

Hi, my pain consultant has just started me on this. He had to obtain the go ahead for funding from my GP as it's very expensive.

Sadly after one tablet I experienced major stomach cramps and diarrhoea so bad I had to stop it there and the. And have gone back to MST.

• Posted

Hi Laneeyb

Your post was interesting.  I have major pain due to cervical spondylosis and take a concoction of drugs including morphine slow relase and oramorph liquid.  I came across this drug Tapentadol and wondered if anyone had tried it for pain.   Seems unfortunately you had a bad reaction.   I have just had the same reaction with Duloxetine.  Wondering if it is worth while asking my doc for Tapentadol.  Is it an opiod?   I am at my wits end trying to find new drugs to cope with my never ending nerve pain..   What dosage were you given?   I was given 60mg duloxetine and think it was too high a dosage to start with.   Wondering if its worth while trying Tapentadol at a lower dose?   Do you have any suggestions?   Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you.

Arran103

|Arran103

• Posted

Hi Arran103,

Yes Tapentadol is an opiod which works in the same way as MST. However its three or four times more expensive so your GP may

Not get funding for it.

I was given just 50mg tablets to start with and as you know I couldn't tolerate it. You may.

I think you need to have a conversation with your pain management team.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I no longer have a pain management team as they said they could do no more for me as they had tried every drug they have and nothing worked.   I now only have to rely on my doctor who although very sympathetic is I think a bit out of his depth here.  He is brilliant in that he will let me try any drug which either myself or he thinks might help my pain so I don't think getting Tapentadol would be a problem.   I just don;t want another drug which is going to  make me worse again and then have to start the recovery progress yet again.Not sure which road to go down.  I will talk to my doctor again and get his opinion.   Thanks for our reply.   It reallh helped me.

Arran103

• Posted

I suffer with chronic pain and have tried every pain med available in the UK and in January this year asked me to try Tapendatol, he started me on a low dose and under the instruction of my GP it was gradually increased and my other pain medication reduced. by the time I was on 200mg I was very ill, I could not go to the toilet my breathing was so bad just walking 5m I was out of breath and strugeling to breath and that is not the worst of it. In the end I made an apointment to see the GP and insisted I go back to my other medication which is the only thing that has worked for me which is Fentanyl Duragesic Transthermaol patches. The problem I have now is it has left me with breathing problems. I contacted the manufactuer of this drug and there response was see your GP.
    • Posted

Tapentadol has left me with respitorial problems weakness and other medical problems, I went up to 250mg and it made me very I'll. The only thing that works for me is Fentanyl Duragesic Trans thermal patches 37mgph every three days I was taking Oramorph as much as 40ml at a time 2 or 3 times a day the pain gets so bad.
  • Posted

I suffer with chronic pain and have tried every pain med available in the UK and in January this year asked me to try Tapendatol, he started me on a low dose and under the instruction of my GP it was gradually increased and my other pain medication reduced. by the time I was on 200mg I was very ill, I could not go to the toilet my breathing was so bad just walking 5m I was out of breath and strugeling to breath and that is not the worst of it. In the end I made an apointment to see the GP and insisted I go back to my other medication which is the only thing that has worked for me which is Fentanyl Duragesic Transthermaol patches.
  • Posted

I was put on tapentadol for chronic back pain in April & also duloxetine. My pain has been so much better since I got up to 200mg twice daily. Unfortunately I have felt very sick since being on it & have lost over 6 stone, going from obese to underweight by about 2 stone (size16 to a size 6). I have had to stop duloxetine & lower my tapentadol to 50mg twice per day. After seeing my consultant I am now increasing tapentadol back up & hoping the sickness stays at bay. My consultant says this is a very rare side effect & I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. 
  • Posted

I am on tapentadol and have been on it for nearly 2 year's. It helps me for reducing the pain, please don't get me wrong I still have bad day's, I just top up on oralmorh, I would recommend it,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.