Tapering Mirtazapine 5 mg mark.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, 

I signed up for this forum to exchange thoughts about tapering Mirtazapine. I have been taking 15 mg from january. I took it because I could not sleep anymore. Had four nights where I did not sleep at all. It all started with some kind of buzzing in my ear. This is better now, although it is not totally gone.

I have been slowly tapering to 7,5 mg and now I am only using 5 mg since 10 days. I am really struggling with side effects from tapering. Been feeling kind of low and sleeping not very well. Last night I took a little Xanax because I felt sooo awake. Smallest dose, but I hate having to take this. Muscles seem to hurt and I am having some trouble with my stool, if you know what I mean.

I have been tapering for some time now, and I just know this wil sort itself out in a few days time. Usually the 12 - 14 day mark is when I start feeling better and start sleeping better again. But I am curious about other peoples stories.

Are you tapering Mirtazapine as well, or did you do a succesful taper?

Am I going to fast maybe?

I am feeling a bit insecure now about this right now. I hate feeling like this. I read somewhere that tapering from 7,5 mg down is more difficult then from higher doses. Is this true?

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Whosthatgirl cant really say if you are going to fast or not.I am seeing my Dr Monday regarding getting off mirt.cuz I had gained so much weight from it.I could let you know what the Dr says about tapering it to give you some idea???meds are so complicated and finding  right ones is a challenge.will keep in touch.Cat196111
    • Posted

Hi Cat, what did your doc say? I feel better today, though I still did not sleep very well last night. Hoping tonight is better.
    • Posted

Hi Whosthatgirl My Dr had no problem tapering me off mirt.I'm down to 15mg for 2weeks and that's it.looking forward to the outcome. Glad to hear it's doing well for you.?? Cat196111

• Posted

Hi Cat,

As you can see in this thread, a 10% taper is recommended. Some people can go faster though. Just know that if you encounter problems, it's always good to know you can go slower. Take care!

• Posted

Hi guys, how is everybody doing? I am doing fine. Had some good days, but also some bad days. I am enjoying a break from work right now, sleeping a lot. I am still gaining weight though. I am strugling to keep my current weight, which is actually already 4 kg more than I normally am. Someone on this forum said the lower the dose, the more sedating it is. I do feel like this is the case. 

My last cut from 7,5 mg to 5 mg is now more than four weeks ago and I decided in the beginning of this week to go down to 3,75 mg. It is still a relatively big cut, but I think I can handle it. I am going to do the remainder of the taper with liquid. I just read how you can create liquid from pills and I am going to try that. Feeling a little down, but as long as it's temporary, I can handle that. I just want to quit so badly. I feel so sedaded and groggy. Run down, tired all the time.

But not sleeping and really feeling anxious and depressed, that's what I want to avoid. If this feeling comes back, I will go back up. Just have to order the stuff needed for this. Not sure if I can get it in my country though. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.