Tapering off venlafaxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello there everyone on the dreaded venlafaxine. ??? Well after many many years on ven  I am now from a very high dose of ven. This is my 2nd day on 37.5 mg. xl.  Feeling a lot better. Back on controlling my life I know it's early days yet but I can't believe how I feel my sence of smell is returning and body aches and muscle weakness has reduced and slowly getting there on a GP reducing plan from 300+ mg to 37.5 mg  over 6months  I tryed to get off them myself too quickly and failed !!   I hope this can help you. I needed something when I was in a very bad place of loss and grief but now I am handling thing better.   Thank you.  Michael

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Good job, Michael.  Now I am going to warn you to take it very slowly from here. There is a research paper that shows graphs for serotonin receptor occupancy for several ADs, ven being one of them.  No matter how high a dose you go, your receptors are only every blocked by about 92%.  At the minimum of 37.5mg your receptors are still blocked by nearly 80%!  So, as you drop below that dose, you are freeing up huge numbers of receptors which means this is where the real risk of WD lies; lots of instability!  Doctors won't tell you, but all the while that you were on the drug, your nervous system pushed back against the artificial elevation of serotonin by down-regulating it's own serotonin production in an effort to bring about homeostasis. This means your neurons physically remodeled to achieve this, taking the drug's action into account.  Therefore, as you drop lower, your nervous system is left with those changes unopposed by the drug, and it must be given TIME to gradually adapt back!  Go too fast and you are left with bigger deficits of neurotransmitters which means withdrawal big time!

Please read the topic in the following thread, about reducing by 10%:  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570

How long were you on Ven?  I was on it for 12 years before coming off too fast and suffering horrific protracted WD.  I ended up back on 37.5 mg, which reversed my symptoms within an HOUR, and that was when I began to realize that I was in WD and was getting a "fix."  I don't want to be on a medication that can do this to me!  This is not about some original condition coming back, since I had never ever had depression and anxiety so severely in my life!  But that's the tricky thing about these drugs; the symptoms of their WD are the same as pychiatric "disorders," so doctors and patients alike think relapse.  Usually in WD, the degree of those symptoms far exceeds the level the patient originally experienced before meds.  And, many who were put on these meds for other reasons, such as PMS, experience anxiety and depression in WD, not the original condition!

Ok, 'nuff said.  Please proceed cautiously here on out.  I am down to 12.4 mg, and many would say that is so low as to not be useful so might as well jump off - NOT!  From what I told you about occupancy, I am still around 65%!  The estimated dose for 50% occupancy is 2.8 mg!  My neurons were saturated in this stuff for 12 years - the longer you have been on it the slower you should go!

Good luck!

• Posted

Hello Betsy. Thank you for you reply which is very very helpfull to me. I've been on ven since the loss of my business and the tradgec loss of my son. I've been on venlafine since 2000 Topping at 300mg and now 37.5Please see my earlier posts. I reduced in 2to3 month drops from one to the other. I'll stay on this dose for a good while I think. Thank you very much. Best wishes Michael

• Posted

Hi betsy0603 I'm hoping you could help me as i have learning issues, but i was put onto Venlafaxine 75mg One Twice a day for Depression & Anxiety. I've been on these for around 4mnths & noticed no change in Depression nor Anxiety, so i started to wean myself thinking it would be as easy as any other! I was wrong. I started weaning down to One tablet per day for 2 months felt fine, so i then weaned down to 1/2 a 75mg tablet per day for the last month, then tried to come of. When coming of I'm so super HOT sweat pouring of my face, but yet cold can you help me how to start this weaning let's say if i go back up to One tablet a day please ? Thankyou

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.