tapering off venlafaxine input please..

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi iv been on venlafaxine since March iv had enough now of the meds & the system. I havnt informed my gp just can't be bothered .. Iv gone 2nights without now & feel ok . Am I to expect WD or do some get away with it? I was on 225mg. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I wouldn't go cold turkey, you should wean yourself off them gradually.

Do you take any other meds.

Thanks

Neil

• Posted

Hi Neil. Thought I'd replies sorry. I take lithium & zopiclone thanks to mirt & ven I dnt sleep ??

• Posted

Hi Sharon: 

What are mirt, lithium and zopiclone for?  I am taking Venlafaxine for anxiety, and it helps greatly...But I do not know what those other drugs are for.  Could you explain please..Thank you!!!

Jackie

• Posted

Hi sorry of course. Lithium is to stable my moods because I have bipolar .. mirtazapine is the same as venlafaxine I have because of severe depression & anxiety/panic attacks. Because mirt & ven make my mind race even more I have to take zopiclone because I cnt sleep at all . This is also an evil drug & highly addictive I found out on here.iv been on lithium for 2 years ..I started the others in January .. Iv never been so ill mentally ??

• Posted

I am so sorry that none of these drugs have seemed to help you.  The Venlafaxine helped me tremendously..That was all I needed and my anxiety went away after about a month or so of taking it.  I am afraid to stop though because of the awful side effects...I want to stop though because of the constant sweating.
    • Posted

Some1 said it may be because my body doesn't agree with trycylic meds .. ven & mirt is just that. Iv been on meds for 20yrs iv never been ill mentally & physically like this before. I seen when I 1st started ven that people were saying it's a wonder drug ..hardly any bad story's. I had high hopes iv been on it since March & I havnt got any better to the point I dnt leave the house. How long have you been on it? Yer the sweating from your head n face is terrible I feel ashamed .

• Posted

I have been on Venlafaxine for 14 years.  No problems.  Maybe you ae feeling this way because of the combination of things that you are taking.  I am only on Ven.....I think maybe you are on too many meds and that could be the problem!!
    • Posted

I was on venlafaxine for a few years & then I had to take sleeping pills because I can't sleep at all on them i didnt get any better.. Then I went onto a drug called trazadone it was a sedative/AD . Safe drug cnt OD on it. I stopped all drugs about 4 years ago ..felt I didn't need them had enough.. I was doing fine for a couple of years bt then got pregnant later diagnosed with bipolar. Lithium is good . Stops alot of bad things but it doesn't help with depression really ..I was on sirtraline for 2yrs bt couldn't stop yawning & wanting to sleep.. wasn't lifting me .. wish I'd never said anything.. my god talk about roller coaster mind.. the phyciatrist in my eyes shouldn't of put me on ven or a highly addictive sleeping med that after a short while I'm told you get immune too.. I don't understand her actions 1 bit. So I need my lithium bt a good AD then I won't need a sleeping med. Just a vicious circle right now ??

• Posted

I think you should possibly change doctors.....Time for a new one...Really!  Tell them what you told us here on Patient website and maybe a new one can help you!!

• Posted

My gp is great he's been with me forever .. bt I'm under the mental health so have a phyciatrist that's the awful doctor. What ever she says gos. No matter what .my gp can't do nothing. She told me to come straight off mirt which is as bad as ven..my gp was so shocked he said it's probably to late to taper now as 2weeks had past. Iv written a letter asking to be referred but havnt heard anything yet. I think I may just stop goin if I have to..just see mg gp .

• Posted

Hi Sharon

Sorry I've not replied sooner, these bloody Ven and Mirt are sleep forever. Anyway I've been reading your posts and the struggle your going through right now. I'm there also and I've also been on the same drugs as you. Your right it's like a never ending circle of nightmare. I've also got a daughter and if it wasn't for her I think I would have ended years ago sad.

I often contemplate ending my life because this feeling of dread just won't go. However when I start to think about my beautiful daughter, I feel like one more fight to stay alive. I also hate feeling like this. The drugs don't work but then I think to myself perhaps they are, I could be feeling a lot worse without them. I know sometimes you feel like the meds don't work or they give you bad side effects but they may not be as bad as being without them.

I had to be clean free for two weeks so I could take Ven because of the other meds I was on, and trust me those were the worst two weeks of my life. Not only that but it reminded of how I felt before being diagnosed. As Churchill once said 'if your going through hell, then just keep going'. Remember your not alone in this fight, and when ever you want to chat just let me know.

Neil

• Posted

Hi Neil thanks for replying.. I don't sleep on mirt or ven..& never will because it's the wrong type of med for me & she new this when she put me on them. I slept on 15mg mirt I felt amazing on it for a few weeks bt it didn't last some say it was probably because I was actually getting a good sleep after months of not.. so along side she gives me 7.5mg of zopiclone. .the horror story's about that alone is emense. .I dnt understand her motives. Sooooo I come off mirt because I was close to killing myself & she puts me on the same drug.. I feel she's on commission to kill her patients off. Iv lost all faith now. Being on these meds for me are worse than being off them.. that's how bad they make me feel..I'm crying with so much pain in my soul to be taken away because I can't live .. this shouldn't happen on meds. Sometimes more often than not I feel I'm a lost cause I cnt be helped .. that the illness iv got cnt be helped it's all in My head ..like everyone sees me as fake. Who would fake an illness like this. I think I didn't get help early enough so now there's no hope. My head is mashed isn't it .. I was mentally ill as a child.no1 to talk to about it I just thought I was a freak ..couldn't understand myself at all. Always wanting to kill myself ..lithium has stablised that ..I still get thoughts even for no reason but never act anymore. Sorry I'm babbling good old bipolar bore ya to death ??

wen I came off mirt I went 2 weeks before starting ven but I took zopiclone yes u are so right it is pure hell I would hold out as long as I could. Thankyou Neil

• Posted

Hi Again Sharon:  I didnt mean for you to change your GP.  I meant for you to change your physicarist.  She sounds awful..I am so sorry that you are going through all of this.  There must be someone or something that can help you through this. I wish you luck...
    • Posted

Hi Sharon

I'm so sorry you feel like this especially since a young age, it will take time to find the right meds for you. You have an illness and your a fighter so you'll make it. You much to live for and trust me when I say life is precious especially yours. It's an illness you will get over it, just don't be so hard on yourself when the meds don't work.

I've been taking different meds now over 10 or so years, I also suffered with it since a child and didn't realise it until I started taking meds.

One drug that really worked for me (I'm going to ask to go back on them) was Strattera which is for ADHD which I don't have but it worked by balancing me out. Have a word with your doc to see if there is some other meds to try.

You will find the right combination that works best for you, just keep strong.

• Posted

I done some research on her ..lithium & citrolpram seems to go well so I put in to the pdr she didn't like my suggestion said we don't have much use here &,put me on ven.. I think maybe it's more expensive & their saving penny's in the hosp. There was a headline a few months back now about people having bipolar could actually have adHD. I just scanned over it though ..??

• Posted

Neil, Follo w my conversations with Sharon . I promise you you feel better 

in the future if you can start on Prozac (Fluoxitine) please consult your Dr. It is working for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.