tapering off venlafaxine input please..

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi iv been on venlafaxine since March iv had enough now of the meds & the system. I havnt informed my gp just can't be bothered .. Iv gone 2nights without now & feel ok . Am I to expect WD or do some get away with it? I was on 225mg. Thanks for reading.

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You will definitely get withdrawal symptoms. A few years ago I fell asleep and forgot to take my 225 mg venlafaxine that I take every evening.  The next day I felt terrible. I was nausous, had a bad headache and just felt plain crummy.  I had heard that not taking your pill for even one day can do this.  I went to the place where I keep m meds, and sure enough, there was the Venlafaxine pill that I had forgotten to take the night before.  I took it immediately and within an hour or two I felt better. I do not believe there is anyone who can escape the withdrawal symptoms..And from what I have heard, they are God awful!!   I want to taper off, but I am so afraid to.

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline I'm also on 225mg ?? I went 2 nights without .. felt ok .. then this afternoon I just couldn't stop crying & had a panic attack.. ven very good at blocking your emotions so been pouring on & off since then. My head feels like it's rattling. .I feel really sick to atm. A few goose bump tingling episodes. Iv taken 75mg just an hour ago . I'm determined to do this I'm not good on it so have to come off. Don't understand why I was put on it after mirtazapine not working.

• Posted

I cannot remember if I have replied to you before, but with my Dr. Help I am off Venlafaxine. I bought a pill splitter and went down one dose every 7days. When I was down to 18.5 when my Dr. Introduced Fluoxitine (Prozac generic) and now I am on 30mg of Fluoxitine once a day. It really is helping.

i felt a little light headed this morning but had none as the event approached. I will keep you posted on my daily progress if you like.

• Posted

Today I feel great! Had a little light headedness ,

took my 3 Fluoxitine, had a warm glass of water with lemon.and am just relaxing and emailing you until I go to my wateraerobiss class. I Hope you are taking pills and not capsules because you can't split them. Hope you are doing better; I promise you you will.

Also try to continue your daily chores and lie down a few times a day,if you can.

• Posted

This makes me feel a little hopeful.  I was so afraid to stop taking Ven because of all the horrible withdrawal symptoms I was reading about on this forum. I take 225 mg.  It is in one pill.  I don't think a pill cutter will help me..

• Posted

Hi, I have been trying to withdraw from venlafaxine, after taken it for about 20 year.  I opened the capsuale and found 12 little pills inside and started by taking one less every 12 days, the side effects were not pleasant, but bareable, until I was down to 3.  Then the side effects kicked in badly, I think i went totally psychotic, sweating profusely, dizzyness, horrendous nightmares. with advise on this forum I went straight back up to 4 a day and rebalanced.  A few weeks later I crushed a tablet and tooj 3 and a half for a couple of weeks then went to just 3 with very little side effects. A few weeks later I did the same again and I'm now down to 2 and feeling ok. I think I'm going to do it this time but, it is a very slow process and a lot of patience is needed.  Its not something that you can do in weeks it takes months. Hope this helps any one out there that is struggling at the moment.

• Posted

Thank you...I have read so many of these posts that say the withdrawal is horrendous, so now I am afraid to even try stopping....Anway, my pill is a solid pill, not a capsule that I can open up.  I guess my only choice is to stay on them for life  UGH.  I sweat like crazy, that is why I wanted to stop taking them....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.