Tarsal tunnel syndrome

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hello I have tarsal tunnel syndrome which was diagnosed by a nerve conduction test. I go back to see my foot and ankle surgeon in three weeks

Does anyone else have this syndrome? If so how was it treated. So far all i know is mine is coursed by bruising and possibly a fracture of an old injury.

The stabbing pain i get is at times is unbearable lasts only for a few seconds its like some one has stabbed me in the foot with a hot sharp blade and electrocuted at the same time. Also have tingling in my feet muscle spasms leading up to my knee all the time but more noticeable with online in bed at night. Any one have this? thank you

2 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everybody

I am also a TTS sufferer. I very sad at the moment because I see that this seems to be a permanent problem. My life is very limited now. I cannot walk much, otherwise the pain flares and spread up my leg. I have been suffering from TTS since 2014. I used to do lots of high impact exercise and after taking part on an obstacle course the pain started and it is still with me. I feel the burning sensation, the stabbing, electricity sensation that comes and goes. The pain in the inner side of the ankles (yes, TTS on both feet!) is always there... sometimes better, sometimes worse. When I lie in bed, if I lie the side of my tarsal tunnel on a pillow, it hurts. I have gone through nerve conduction studies, MRI, 4 ultrasounds and all seems normal inside the feet. I think this is a good thing. I also spent a long time walking with the help of an air cast boot (on and off during the day) and I usually walk with the help of one crutch. I had been to see many doctors. With the last one I had a steroid injection that did not really help. I am on amitriptyline 20gr (an increase from 10gr) and my GP may increase it a bit. I am going to start physio (again) soon. The physio I had so far was rubbish.

I live on my own and I have to do everything. But thank God with the help of online shopping I could rest more. 

This is my history in short. I read your posts and I really feel for all of us. It was good for me to read your positive words as well. Thanks for sharing! I hope to hear from your experiences soon and hear your suggestions for treatment of pain management.

Lots of love to all!

Cris

• Posted

Hey Christianeukbr

You manage to find any relief with your Symptoms yet!! I’m on gabepentin now and also being sent to a neurologist! Still suffering :-( 

• Posted

I know I'm late to this discussion party but I've been recently diagnosed with TTS in both feet.   Nerve conduction test confirmed it.  Podiatrist made custom orthodics, steroid shots, ice soaks etc......nothing has helped.  Seems to only get worse.  I see the discussion stopped a few months ago but wondering if anyone has found any relief or breakthrough treatments since then.   Not feeling good about things after reading these posts. 

• Posted

Hello There

I have had TTS since Nov 2014 and just recently I felt a good improvement. If you read my posts above you will see my trajectory. Not easy. But I am very determined and did what I had to do. I think that the air cast boot was the main thing. Just recently I figure that out on my own. Doctors haven't been interested in understanding my feet pain history. I need to think and try to understand what made the difference in my recovery. So, I went back on the boot in March because the steroid injection I had on my right foot made the pain worse. It felt like I had a level of posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. This time I also use two crutches to take the pressure from the feet with no boot on. I feel the difference. I also changed physio clinic (I asked my consultant to refer me to a clinic of my choice - NHS). Good professionals. With physio I felt improvement too. I also wear orthotic as it helps. This week I am off the boot and just walking with the help of crutches. But crutches and boot are used/worn during some hours of the day. I don't use/wear them when I am in the office or at home. When I go out, I walk unaided. And I cycle everywhere.  Ice has been very important to me. Rest too. 

Living with TTS is not easy but we can make it. You need to listen to your pain and try to manage it the best you can. Taking the pressure from your feet can help. And adding to this, you can apply ice, do some physio (if pain allows you - at the beginning I couldn't do much), orthotics etc. 

I read a lot about TTS and learned a lot. I think this is also important.

Sorry for if my post hasn't got a good flow of words. Difficult to write when I'm tired and need to sleep. But I didn't want to go to bed without sending you a reply. I do understand what you are going through. You can work on it.

Tell us your story. How did you get TTS? How is your pain?

Good night.

Cris

• Posted

I'm also not feeling good after reading this thread sad my podiatrist just referred me to a neurologist as I've had intense burnings on the soles of both feet, in my arch and medial side of heel. The podiatrist doesn't think it's neuropathy. The burning pain generally doesn't bother me at all at night. However just recently my feet have started to feel hot and really sore before I get out of bed in the morning. I don't have any shooting pain, just burning hot and recently cold sensations, and it's normally only when I'm on my feet. 

What are your symptoms. ? 

• Posted

Oh I meant to add the podiatrist is the one who mentioned Tarsal Tunnel
    • Posted

Hi Julia

At the beginning, I felt the soles of my feet burning. I also had pain on the inner side of my ankles where the tarsal tunnel is. But the burning bothered me more than the ankles. And the soles ache/burnt more when I was standing. Then 8 months down the line (July/2015), the pain increased and travelled up my legs - up to below the knees (inner side). That was the tarsal tunnel syndrome getting worse. I then went on a boot/crutches, had lots of rest (more than what I was already having). I had two months off work. Since that time I had ups and downs. I feel the symptoms of TTS:  electric shocks - shooting pain, tingling, burning, a constant pain where the TT is...

Recently, this year (2017) I have improved a lot. Went on the air cast boot/crutches again in March after a horrible steroids injection. I do not recommend this injection. The air cast boot, I think, made the difference. But I'm not on it all the time during the day. The feet need moving. I am attending the gym ATM as per recommendation of my physiotherapist. This is s to strength my body (mainly legs and buttocks) so it can give my feet more support. I'm doing exercises in the pool too. But to get to this level of recovery, I had to be disciplined and persistent: ice every day (better if you do 3 times a day - I couldn't do as much because of work and uni), rest, boot, crutches, not going out, cycling everywhere, living my life with lots of restrictions to avoid standing on my feet for even 5 minutes. Hard, but now, after nearly 3 years (3 years will be in Nov), I feel that all that effort was worth. And I hope that the improvementI had is here to stay. 

Did you have tests for TTS such as nerve conduction studies, ultrasound?

I hope sharing my experience will be of any good for you. I do understand what you feel. Persist, patience, you will improve. It is also good to read about the subject, ask questions.

Cris

• Posted

Cris

I'm glad to hear you are finding relief lately.

I first thought I had plantar fasciitis in January 2016, after pushing myself too hard while exercise. However since December my pain has gotten worse and is now in both feet. It's been such a long process of seeing doctors, them giving me stretchs then going back to the dr still in pain, then finally getting referred to a podiatrist. I told her my feet were burning but she didn't say anything about it initially. I had to wait a month to get my insurance to approve orthotics, finally got approval and took another several weeks to get them. Anyhow after wearing the orthotics and still having intense burning my podiatrist said it sounds like it could be Tarsal Tunnel and referred me to a neurologist.

I hope to get an appointment soon and get some test done as I haven't had any yet. When my feet aren't burning they just feel incredibly sore and ache. I also have pain in my right calf that seems to radiate up from my foot. I'm a single mom to a 6yr old and I just have to be on my feet at time. I'm confused cause my podiatrist seemed to say I couldn't make it worse but everything I read says otherwise.

When you say you are cycling you mean riding your bike? That's encouraging, I would like to start doing that. I'm normally very active and sitting around has been hard! I started Pysical therapy for plantar fasciitis and for knee pain (again that seems related to right foot) but so far it hasn't help. I ice often and do stretches at home daily.

• Posted

Hi Julia

I also thought I had plantar fasciitis at the beginning. The pain was on the soles mainly and the left foot was worse.

Yes, I don't live without my bike. I depend on it to move around so I avoid walking. Yes, you should give it a go.

I was also very active in the past. Gym, running, weight lifting. After doing Tough Mudder, then all went downhill: the problem on my feet started and I couldn't run anymore. And I still don't think I would do that ever again, but I have already come to terms with it. Life goes on.

The neurologist might require you to undergo nerve conduction studies, and ultrasound. I had done these test and my results came normal. But my problem exists. So bare in mind that not always TTS can be diagnosed through tests. You can find this in the literature.

It might be hard for you as you need to be on your feet quite a lot. But try to sit down to do things. I bought a high chair so when the pain is bad, I wash dishes sat down, prepare food to be cooked sat down, brush teeth etc. At the moment I am fine and don't need to use the high chair as much. But at the beginning, this helped me.

Talk to the neurologist about taking medicine for nerve pain. This might help you.

Many doctors told be that TTS does not get worse and it is a matter of pain management. I'm getting better after all I did so far. But I feel that this pain will be always around one way or another.

I persist. I want the right foot as good as the left foot and I'm working on it.

Let me know how the appointment with the neurologist goes.

Take care and good recovery. 

Cris

• Posted

Cris

I haven't read all your post and I have a few questions so I apologize if they are already listed. Were you diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome? Are you still in the care of Dr?

Do you take any medication for the pain?

Do your feet ever bother you when your not on them?

I have heard that the nerve conduction test and other test could come back normal. I

• Posted

No, worries...that's ok, Julia.

All my tests came normal, but I feel all the symptoms. I had a diagnostic injection and the results seem to be for a TTS diagnose, but I didn't have a 100% confirmation. But I feel TTS pain and I have been treated for this.

I take Amitriptyline. I was taking 20 mg, but have recently decreased to 10 mg. I don't like this medicine. It affects my concentration. When I took 30 mg, it was 'difficult' even to speak. But Amitryptiline does help with the pain.

I am not seeing my consultants anymore (podiatrist through the NHS and foot and ankle consultant through BUPA). I am with a physiotherapist (I might have two more sessions with him). I do my physio exercises at home, going to the gym for weights (on the machines - sitting down) and doing exercises in the water. I am wearing orthotics too, and it helps a lot.

When the pain bothers me? All the time. Walking, lying down, standing. Times that the pain is bad, I find it hard to find a good position to sleep. I still can feel the discomfort when I lie down with the TT touching the mattress (not sure if I made myself clear - sorry). 

For me, it has been always about pain management. For example, I might rest more for a few days, so I can go out in the weekend. And when going out I need to try to sit down as much as I can. Nightmare... I'm always thinking of how to do things, always reasoning! After nearly 3 years suffering from TTS, I'm getting used with all that it entails.

It would be good for you to go through the tests. I hope you get a diagnosis. In the meantime, try to rest and apply ice.

Take care

• Posted

Hi Cris, so sorry for not responding.  I thought I would get an email notifying me but did not see one.  Just happened to check back and glad I did.  Thank you for your response.  I am a terrible 'patient' when it comes to things like this.  I just cannot understand and figure out why this pain will not ease up.  I have been in a walking boot for almost a week now.  BTW I have TTS in both feet.  The last visit to my podiatrist was somewhat depressing.  He gave me this boot and told me this is the worst case of TTS he has ever seen in 30 yrs.  WHAT ? Are you kidding me ?  How did this happen?  I am very fit, athletic...not a distance runner but I do have high arches that do seem to be falling...so I got custom orthodics from my podiatrist about 3 months ago and honestly they have not helped in the least.  My feet are constantly tingling, numb, throbbing at night, get ice cold and when you touch the Tibial nerve below the ankle the nerve shock is always horrible.  I barely have to touch the skin and the nerve fires off.  I have done ice a number of times and bought an Ice boot wrap on amazon and it only gives me temporary relief.  My next stop is with a Foot and Ankle Ortho next week.  I don't want to take the Lyrica one doc gave me because I've heard that is not the answer and just want to take a med long term.  I did have a nerve conduction test that confirmed the  TTS, but no one has said what is causing this in both feet at the same time.  Is your TTS in one or both feet ?  Has surgery been an option for you ?  I'm thinking I may be a candidate but really don't want to go there.  I hate this boot....... mad

• Posted

Thanks for the response Julia.  Please see my response to Cris below.  I'm reading your emails to her.  Anything we can offer to help each other is appreciated.  This is just a life-changer for me and I can't believe how I'm not finding much relief with any of the recommendations.

Bo

• Posted

Hello Bo

Nice to hear from you. This condition is a life changer indeed. I have always been so active. Miss my running... But I am getting used with TTS. It will be 3 years I am suffering from this in November. How long have you had TTS for?

Yes, I have TTS on both feet. At the beginning (2014/2015), I had lots of pain on the left foot and some pain on the right foot. Mid 2015 all went down hill for me. Lots of pain. But I rested a lot, changed my life completely. You can read my previous posts how this was for me.

I had the aircast boot on for at least 6 months in 2015. But I was on and off it during the day so I could also use my feet, despite the pain. We also need to move to exercises the muscles. In this way, the TTS does not make other parts of the foot worse. I read that we need to strengthen the feet.

Yes, I know that the boot this is annoying but I think that this is what made my left foot much better. Today, the pain has decreased a lot on the left foot but got worse on the right foot. So I'm now wearing the boot on the right and I walk with crutches to reduce the impact on the left foot - I don't want my left foot to get worse now that it is feeling great. This was my decision, not doctor's. I sort of took the matter into my own hands because I also think that the doctors/consultants I have been seeing are not 100% sure about how to treat this. There is a lot of information online. I read a lot about TTS and this was good also to engage in discussion with my doctors/consultants.

What is Lyrica?

I started wearing the boot on the right foot after that evil steroid injection that worsened my pain. And I feel an improvement already. Tomorrow I go to work without wearing it. But I will still use my crutches. Sometimes, I think that crutches, boot, amitriptyline will always be part of my life. Oh well, I'm a fighter. I will do everything to avoid surgery and manage this pain, so I can live my life as normal as possible. Physio was not working before, now it is. Orthotics is making the difference now (but I wear other insoles on top to make it feel soft). I can work in the kitchen nowadays without feeling desperate to sit down. I sleep with much less pain in my feet.

And my advice to all you, lovely people, is to keep trying and re-trying conservative treatments to see which ones work for you and when they become suitable for you. Of course, I understand that we all might have a different level of TTS, but it is worth trying. Patience is also key as it takes time to see results.

Lots of love

Cris xx

• Posted

Cris,

I finally went to the neurologist and the test came back normal, however when she tapped on the tarsal Tunnel location it made MTV whole foot tingly which she said was a sign of TT. However, she didn't write that part in the report to the podiatrist, which is frustrating. Anyhow I started wearing my Birkenstocks ALL the time as they have been the only shoes that my feet don't get that burning feeling in. I totally stopped wearing my custom orthotics as they were making things worse. I'm not sure what to think. At this point I can be on my feet for much longer but they start to feel really sore and ache around the edge of my heels and start to feel warm after awhile. Next is an MRI, so maybe that will show something? I'm glad I'm feeling a little better but still don't have any answers.

• Posted

Hi Julia

All my tests (I had many, for example: 5 ultrasounds, 1 MRI) came back all normal. But I have the symptoms. My podiatrist and BUPA doctor stated on my medical history that I have a possible TTS and PTTD (posterior tibial tendon dysfunction). I think it is important to have it your medical reports. You should argue that with your podiatrist. This is your right. At least she could use the word "possible". Regarding the orthotics, maybe they were not made correctly. The orthotics need to be made to model your feet. My second pair of orthotics is brilliant. But I need to put a cushioned layer on top of it to make it feel softer on my soles.

I will check these Birkenstocks. Thanks for sharing the info!

Are you applying ice?  (bag of frozen peas would do).

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. And don't feel bad about not having a clear diagnosis. Many of TTS sufferers don't have this. It is not an easy problem to diagnose through tests. Podiatrists should know that.

Take care. And keep doing what you feel it is better for you.

Cris

• Posted

Cris,

Thanks for your reply!

I forgot to add my podiatrist is havibg me see her colleague to get another Dr.s opinion. The orthotics were made by havibg me step into a type of foam to mold my foot, but my arch is SO high they just tend to irritate it. The neurologist thought they might be pushing up on my nerve and that's why they were making things worse. However the podiatrist told me to try them again. The neurologist recommended Dansko clogs that are really popular around here. I need to look

for another pair of tennis shoes as the

Birkenstocks are Sandals. I have been religious about icing. My therapist recommended freezing water in a paper cup, then peeling off the paper from the top and pushing the ice around the sole of my sole, just for 5 min. It was very hard to tolerate at first but now I enjoy it. I also started putting my feet in a bucket of ice water for 10 min. The first 2 minutes are very difficult, but after that it's okay. The therapist told me about this too. Anyhow thanks again!

Julia

• Posted

I wanted to add, first I put my feet in regular tap cold water then once adjusted poor in ice.

I have heard contrast baths, alternating between hot and cold water is really good. I haven't tried this yet as I only have on bucket .

• Posted

Hi Cris,

I have read through these posts and thank you for sharing your experiences in dealing with the pain in feet.

I have been dealing with left foot pain for years on Plantar Facitis but was recently told it could be TTS. I had one injection yesterday and my sole of the left foot became swollen. I have been resting to wait for the swelling to be gone and hope it works well to drop the symptoms. 

Well, I wonder if you have any updates on this issue.

Thanks with anticipations.

Jon.

• Posted

Hey Julia

You manage to find any relief with your Symptoms yet!! I’m on gabepentin now and also being sent to a neurologist! Still suffering :-( 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.