Tecnis Synergy

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hello all - if anyone has any experience using the Tecnis Synergy IOLs, please share your views. Thanks!

7 likes, 262 replies

262 Replies

Next
  • Edited

HI

Had both eyes done last Thursday 19 th Dec after a long and hard decision. Have had bad eye sight-myopia- for over 45 years and recently due to age was suffering with nearsight as well. Night driving was hit and miss and in general and was advised that i had the start of cataracts, just hated wearing any type of eye wear so had TECNIS SYNERGY lens in both eyes. It was done on the same day.The decision to go with these was made by the surgeon who knew the people trailing these and had first hand experience in their progress. i did my own research as well. After the procedure, could see quite well within minutes for distance but near vision blurred. Halos very bad on the day but day by day getting better. The one thing that did scare me was the flickering of light which got worse on day 2 but again started to settle down and now occasional depending on light source. My near vision is still not great and although told that I could return to work within 3-4 days, the reality is that if you are straining to see, you will get headaches and have problems trying to focus. The eyes got extremely dry yesterday when i tried to read through mountain of paperwork and i had to resort back to wearing dark glasses for relief especially watching TV/computer screen. i also have, just in the left eye, what feels like a muscle flicking involuntarily but it is very occasional.Could be the lenses settling or the eye is just tired. I have been using the artificial tears as needed. The other thing I have noticed is that the vision is waxy when looking at some thing close and I assume that the various eye drops maybe the reason so guess once I stop using them, things will improve. I went for a check up on DAY 5 and have 20/20 vision , just struggling with clear near vision although tolerable. The one thing that stands out is that the distance vision is fantastic. Yesterdat, when watching my favourite soap opera on H D TV, it almost felt i was watching in 3D as ,the quality of vision is beyond anything experienced with my glasses or contact lenses

• Edited

thanks for sharing. you are the first ever synergy experience on the forum. several trifocal implantees have reported that their near vision came in a few days/weeks after surgery. how is nighttime glare/halos? keep us posted.

• Edited

Hi

Lens flickering is very common after this surgery, many experience it.

I had occasionally lens flickering after surgery too, I think it was gone after 3-4 weeks.

You are very early after surgery, things will improve a lot. It takes about 6 weeks for the eyes to heal, in this period you will experience strange things, vision will probably also get worse some days, and better the next day, this fluctuation is normal.

Dry eyes is also very common, use as many artificial tears as you like, just remember to wait at least 5 minutes between different eye drops.

But I can hear you are well informed already, so I guess you just need to wait for healing to be done 😃

• Posted

Night time vision in general has been good. The halos got better but today seem to go back to Day 1. I have also noticed star bursts around white light street lamps. A neighbours front door lamp which is yellow light has a split red and green halo which is quite amusing. Early days I know...i haven't attempted driving as yet so will update you of that experience in due course

• Posted

finny, my results are the opposite. I can read microscopic print, see all my wrinkles and tiny details, but after 100 feet things are not crispy clear as they were with glasses or contacts. only been two months so I'm hopeful my distance vision will improve.

• Posted

hi peterferri

can u make it crisp clear by wearing glasses for slight correction or residual astigmatism?

• Posted

hi yes early days yet! I can see well in bright light/ normal day light but still struggle when light conditions are not great. i still need to have the yag surgery for the wrinkled lens and then correction laser in both eyes so am hoping for great vision in the long run although each procedure comes with its own risks.. Approaching 8 months post surgery and i can say that i am glad i did it - yes i have a few small issues but overall, this surgery has changed my life!

• Posted

Nivo14

how old are you?

• Posted

soks, i sent you a PM over a week ago, was wondering what happened to you.

• Posted

hi soks i am in my 50s

• Posted

Hello,

Today, how is your vision closer (25 cm)? And your near vision in low light? What was your degree of astigmatism?

• Posted

red green halo is PCO.

• Edited

Hi! I am curious if your long distance vision has worked itself out with time? I just had my first surgery yesterday and had Synergy lens implanted. I noticed my short vision for reading is much much improved in less than 24 hours since surgery, but anything beyond 10 feet is not even half of what it was like with glasses... quite blurry. Actually, it's worse than my vision without glasses. I am really hoping that will improve.

• Posted

Hello, they put this lens on me 5 months ago. I have blurred vision, I see blurred 15 feet away, I have halos day and night and nothing has changed. The ophthalmologist told me that everything was fine and that I had to have a capsulotomy. The strange thing is that sometimes the flicker of light intensifies ...

• Posted

I have the same problem with diffractive trifocals from Zeiss: Concentric rings/spiderwebs didn't diminsh during the last 9 months. Night driving is a nightmare. Several glasses needed now (for desktop work I have to put readers in front of the far specs).

Before doing YAG-capsulotomy: Have your eyes checked from another surgeon/ophtalmologist if you really have PCO. If lens exchange is an option for you you should preserve your posterior capsule. The YAG-laser treatment destroys it and lens exchange becomes more complicated.

• Posted

i have the same issue! near is ok but can’t go out of focus and the haze is driving me crazy because it’s like a film right up the center and I can’t see no matter which distance I’m looking when I close the eye that wasn’t implanted

• Posted

I had Synergy put in RE 6 weeks ago and am very dissatisfied with results so far. Enough so that I'm postponing the 2nd surgery. I'm nearsighted (-5.00 in both eyes) and the only vision that is 'normal' is about 8' (watching TV- not something I want to do all day). Distance is only 20/25 and I've been told by my eye doctor not likely to improve. Computer monitor (arms length) is reasonable with some blurring around text, but anything closer than that: phone, writing, cleaning, grocery shopping, polishing nails, requires reading glasses.

Currently using a contact lens in LE and I have better, crisper vision with that. I thought I asked enough questions beforehand, and I knew very near vision would be a problem, but I had no idea it would be this bad. I miss my glasses. Also, I've never heard from surgical doctor about why I postponed surgery. Forget medical care, what about customer service?

• Posted

does this lens give sparkle in eye like other lens? i had cataract surgery 2 years ago and i have very large pupil. My lens reflects light and gives weird look to my eye. i want to know about this lens please

• Posted

hi nya do you mean you see a light reflection in your eyes or other people see the reflection on your eyes?

• Posted

i can see in the mirror if light comes from different angles and people also tell me that my pupil is shining. It looks like diamond or terminator eye because light reflects from plastic lens surface and gives eye that strange look. i have heard that synergy lens doesnt give that look but im not sure. My doctor said she doesnt have any experience with this lens.

• Posted

No I don't get reflection on my eyes.Which lenses do you have and is it the same for both eyes?

• Posted

i have lens only in right eye and its by Alcon. and because of my large pupil reflection is very visible.

• Posted

This is very encouraging. Thank you for the update. I am trying to come up with a time window to take off for my return back to work after surgery in one eye. They said some people only need a couple days, but sounds like I should take a whole week off just in case. Wishing for 20/20 vision, my left eye is so bad now, it works only at exactly 2" - every other zone is in a thick cloud with giant swirly halos - its like a perma-acid trip, swirly undistinguishable shapes and circles.

Cheers

• Posted

I'm about 3 months out with bilateral Technis Synergy.I have a similar experience. Reading and watching TV is great but longer distances outside are worse than before. My vision is fuzzy and I have difficulty reading street signs until I'm very close. My right eye seems worse than left. I still have halo with night driving but it appears to be getting better. Strangely my night vision is much better than day with very little difficulty reading street signs (although they are lit up a bit) but no fuzzyness. I bought expensive sun glasses from the people who put in the lenses and they help a little. This is similar with large indoor locations like a super market where the vision is pretty good with the left eye but a bit fuzzy with the right. They say that the trauma of the surgery can cause cloudiness and they do a laser procedure to clear this out. This "seemed" to help and I think my outside vision was very good the day after but deteriorated quickly. It's better than it was but still fuzzy. They say it should improve. I'm waiting a few more weeks before going back to the doctor. I'm getting a bit worried.

• Edited

Update: 8 months out and still have good near and medium vision but fuzzy anything beyond 30 feet, especially in bright light. Went back to the doctor who did the surgery and he says my eyes test perfectly in the office but they only use short distances. He said this has NEVER happened to him and to get a second opinion. I had surgery at Center for Sight in Florida and am a snowbird so will see someone up north in Massachusetts. Not looking good. If there are problems they will put in single vision lenses but I'm spoiled with near and mid distances. I think they only use Technis Synergy. I saw another doctor's youtubes who was initially very happy with them but with subsequent youtubes had several patients, including one of his nurses who had the same problem as me and they are no longer using Technis Synergy. He replaced them with Alcon PanOptix and they are fine. Any people have experiences with Alcon PanOptix?

• Posted

There should be an insignificant difference in vision at 30 feet compared to miles away (or infinity). That is why they can test your eyes for distance in an office. It would seem to me that there is something else going on and it is not a simple case of the lens not being in focus for distant vision. But, I am not sure what it could be. There was one person on this forum, I believe from the UK, that reported having lenses that were recalled as they developed cloudy vision. It was a strange uncommon brand IOL. I have not heard of anything with J&J lenses.

• Edited

I've had Synergy (RE) for just over 3 months and Symfony (LE) for just over 7 months. I also saw the youtubes you mentioned, but they were only posted after I had already chosen the lens. My goal on the second eye was, the closest vision a lens could give me, without having to degrade distance vision, and not having too much loss of contrast in low light, and in that Synergy's tests outperformed PanOptix's. I don't have a PanOPtix, so I can only compare it with my LE's Symfony. As soon as I received Synergy, I complained that I woke up with blurred vision that only got better as the day went on. Only later did I realize that what really happened was that Synergy's vision from a distance is bad when there is a lot of light (details are lacking). As the light dims, vision improves significantly and even surpasses that of Symfony. Speaking to my ophthalmologist, we were confused as in the Synergy eye distance tests we were unable to correct vision beyond 20/25 (Symfony is 20/20+). For any correction "-" it got worse, and correcting it to "+", when it changed from 0.00D to 0.25D it got worse, but correcting it to 0.50D and it got better again, but with no difference between 0.00D and 0.50D . At my request, he was very patient and even opened the window of the office (which is on the third floor), and turned the phoropter's chair to do the test with more distant objects (buildings more than 30 feet) but we couldn't reach at no reasonable correction, changing between 0.00D, 0.25D and 0.50D, objects seemed to get more focused with one correction but not for others and vice versa. We came to the conclusion that there is no way to correct distance vision, but I say again that, this is with a lot of light, at dusk and at night the vision of the Synergy eye comes to surpass Symfony. My ophthalmologist believes it has to do with the size of the pupils, which with too much light don't see all the rings of the IOL. Fortunately for me, in the combination of the two lenses my vision is acceptable, but I can say that I would not be happy if I had 2 Synergy lenses.

• Posted

What changes with light level is the pupil size. I wonder if somehow when the pupil is small the eye is being forced to use a portion of the Synergy lens that is not ideal for distance. I have seem something called pupil dependence attributed to a lens, and have not really understood what it means. Perhaps that is what it is about...

• Edited

You are right when you say that the light level changes the size of the pupil and it makes no sense for the pupil to reduce so much, to the point of affecting distance vision. What I feel is that the light causes a kind of blur, decreasing the sharpness. Even in close view, it is better with less light, I even noticed that, decreasing the light of the backlight of my tablet and cell phone, it becomes clearer. I also realize that it takes a while for things to come into focus, maybe neuro-adaptation can fix this with time. That's my practical experience, maybe it's not the same for others. One thing I can confirm, unfortunately the Synergy's vision quality from about 20 - 30 feet is not that good and, at least for me, it can't be corrected with glasses.

• Posted

I certainly do not fully understand the pupil dependence issues. On a quick google search I found this article that talks a bit about it. It predates the Synergy so no comments are made about it, but it does seem to indicate that multifocal IOLs have issues with distance vision. The article seems to be a promotion of Symfony which is claimed to be pupil independent.

CST Europe Jan 2015 High Patient Satisfaction The Symfony IOL provides sharp vision from distance to near

• Edited

I read the article you cited. Pupil size is a concern for IOL manufacturers, but most seem to say theirs doesn't depend on it. Attached average defocus curve corrected for monocular distance by pupil size at 6 months. Note that pupil size does not interfere much with distance vision. So the problem with Synergy is really another one, but it's still related to the light level, I'm sure of that.

• Posted

blur in light and clarity in evening is a symptom of PCO.

• Posted

I just made a comparison of the Synergy's vision, in daylight, at dusk and at night. I feel it improves in low light, seems to have sharper. It doesn't get blurry. As for PCO, my doctor assures me that I don't have it, at least not yet.

• Posted

my symfony has a constant haze which is pronounced during daytime and worse with PCO.

• Posted

See my more detailed post. I'm in the same boat as you. I can't read street signs more than 20-30 feet away after 9 mo. The doctor say that they have never run into this before. I doubt it.

• Posted

Additional Update: I was going to schedule an appointment when I get back to Florida where I had the surgery. However I got a cold call today from an ??? Eye Associates place in South Carolina which is scheduling 2-3 hour interviews with past patients in behalf of the place that did the surgery, Center For Sight of Sarasota Florida, checking on "... how your vision is at various distances...". They are doing the interviews in Florida. They are paying up to $200 which I don't care about. This is encouraging. I had gone back previously complaining on having poor (fuzzy) sight at distance more than 20-30 feet and my doctor, who is the lead doctor and owner, said I was the first to complain. Evidently I'm not alone and they are looking into issues. I was bracing myself for their stonewalling and saying that they only use Synergy but it looks like they are actually looking at issues, I hope. I doubt that if nobody was complaining they would be doing a survey on "... how your vision is at various distances...". With the original surgery they said that if there were problems they would replace them with single vision. I'm spoiled with good near and mid vision and would prefer trying another multi-focal lense.I think they used to use Alcon PanOptix because I looked up who installed them on the Alcon site and found one of the doctors in the Center For Sight group as listed as still using the PanOptix. The saga continues.

• Posted

What changes are you referring to with the "-" and "+" changes. What was he "changing". Is this LASIX touchup or something else? My distance vision is very fuzzy at over 20-30 ft with my Synergys. There was talk pre-surgery of possible LASIX touchup if there were problems but when I asked if this would help afterwards the Dr said it wouldn't. He said I'm his only patient having problems.

• Posted

I'm referring to tests done on the phoropter, when the optometrist or ophthalmologist changes lenses and asks you "is it better or worse" to determine your correction prescription. The lenses that he changes correct both for the "+" side and for the "-" side, hyperopia or myopia. If the need for a correction is confirmed, in addition to the use of glasses or contact lenses, the LASIK technique may be an option, but this depends on other factors, and only in the case of high myopia. It is not indicated to correct mild myopia, nor can it correct hyperopia. My vision in the Synergy eye from 20-30 feet is also a bit fuzzy compared to my Symfony eye, and I haven't been able to get a prescription that corrects this. It may even be that you are the only patient of your doctor with this problem regarding Synergy, but unfortunately there are other reports of this same problem on this forum and on the internet...

• Posted

So does the eye that has the appropriate lense "take over"? My Synergy has excellent near vision and at least good mid distance (like TV viewing). Is the near vision still good with the 2nd a Symphony that is not supposed to have good near vision? Does the Symphony take over for distance which is fuzzy for the Synergy or are you still fuzzy? I have a 2nd opinion this week and am going to see what he thinks about just changing one. I think the second opinion doctor use Panoptix which I think was King before the Synergy came out. I found all the doctors in the group I originally went to (including the owner who did my surgery) were listed on the Alcon Panoptix website and certified on Panoptix.

• Posted

Sorry for the delay in responding!

"Does the eye that has the proper lens "take over"?"

Binocularly one lens complements the other, either from afar or up close. Vision is always better with both eyes open.

"Is near vision still good with the 2nd symphony not supposed to have good near vision?"

Symfony gives me near vision from 25", while Snergy from 13" and, as I said before, binocularly the vision is better at all distances.

"Symphony assumes the distance that is diffused to Synergy or are you still confused?"

In distance vision, covering one eye and then the other, the Synergy's vision is not as sharp as the Symfony's, however, again, binocularly the vision is better.

"I think the second opinion doctor uses Panoptix..."

Before my second surgery, I was torn between Synergy and PanOptix. I chose Synergy influenced by its blur curve, the promise of a better MTF and its +3D ADD which would give me near 13" vision.

I didn't believe the reports that said the vision was not very clear at a distance, but I ended up confirming it. If I could go back in time, maybe I would choose PanOptix, at least to know what it would be like with her...

But currently there is little talk about Synergy and PanOptix, the focus is on Vivity, Eyhance and others...

• Posted

Did you have your focal point as near vision rather than distance?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.