Tecnis Synergy

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hello all - if anyone has any experience using the Tecnis Synergy IOLs, please share your views. Thanks!

7 likes, 262 replies

262 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi just thought I would update you as DAY 8 and this morning woke up with eyes just feeling normal, the tightness/ dryness much better. The near vision has improved, am able to focus without anything appearing blurred from about 30 cm and have not experienced any "blind spots" when moving from close object to far which i believe is the advantage technis synergy has over previous lenses. Still have hazy vision in most lights which will hopefully improve over time.

• Posted

hi just an update as week 3. eyes feel tired most of the time and still have hazy vision, not sure if this is normal after 3 weeks?

• Posted

yes see my post about Symfony Toric Multifocal EDOF

• Posted

hi nivo

how are you doing?

• Edited

Hi all, 6 weeks after surgery now, eyes are still settling and how well i see, especially near vision does depend on how l have slept. my right eye is still giving me a problem as vision is hazy and have noticed floaters which are more prominent when staring at a computer screen. when i explained this at my last check up i was told not to compare the eyes but allow my brain to adapt. I am having problems with night driving even when it is not pitch dark with the glare of lights- headlights, traffic lights, break lights. i have noticed a streak of light around light sources through my right eye that runs from 4oclock to 10 oclock( best way i can describe it) and that is on top of the normal starburst(a bit like sparklers) around light sources which do get better as they get nearer.

The thing I can advise anyone is dont do both eyes together even if you are in good health and low risk candidate. its natural to always compare one eye to the other and when the vision you get through them dont match, the adaption is very hard- your brain is trying to cope with adapting to both.

Last check up revealed that i was near sighted in the right eye - the surgeon said most people would not have noticed, i was obviously sensitive. When i explained that i noticed the right eyevision was foggy as soon as the lenses were placed in the eye- the surgeon thought it was interesting.i was also advised not to worry too much as it can all be fixed.

i am hoping that the vision stabalises soon as every day i get up, i dont know what to expect and working on a computer screen daily is hard.

The upside is that in good light, i have great vision near, intermediate and far.

The downside is that tecnis synergy has not as yet lived upto its hype.

• Posted

iyour visions is that better after surgery or before ? can you see differnce ? you can see near to far very well ? is. it worthy that you did the surgery with tecnis synergy ? are you happy with it ?

• Posted

I'm in the same boat. Poor distance vision. As for the foggy vision, they told me that this can be a side effect of the installation trauma. They have a procedure that, with a laser, they burn a hole through the foggy tissue. This didn't help me but you might ask about it.

• Edited

hi thelionartist

its been about 10 weeks now and vision has greatly improved. i can see both distance and at about 15cm for near vision- providing there is good lighting. i still struggle in dim light conditions for near vision and night vision has not improved. i learnt a new word- neuro-adaptation- after i had the op and am praying that in the long run, i will not notice the night halos starbursts etc which has stopped me from driving for now. I had an issue with my left eye as felt it had been over corrected but after my last visit to the surgeon, who disregarded this and told me not to dwell on this imbalance in the two eyes but instead look through them together, this has helped me greatly. I still have a streak of light that i see through my left eye when looking directly at a light source but have tried not to dwell on it too much- have certainly stopped squinting at light sources with my right eye shut. i used do that a lot just to prove to my self that the left eye was not perfect- i guess that is the negative side of human nature! i miss not being able to see close up especially when putting on make up as need to use magnifying mirror. i have refrained from using glasses as really wanting for the eyes to adapt. its difficult to say if i am happy as still adapting but would definately advise anyone thinking of doing this type of procedure to factor in the side affects as a given. I accept that my vision will never be as great as my natural lens and as long as i bear that in mind, i am not disappointed as i can see at all distances, when i wake up in the morning and not to have to worry about removing my contact lenses at night or reaching for my glasses on the morning! Just waiting for the neuro adaptation to kick in to give near perfect eyesight without the unwanted side effects...

Hope it helps with your journey..

• Posted

told me not to dwell on this imbalance in the two eyes but instead look through them together, this has helped me greatly.

this simple advice is actually spot on. if i analyse what each eye (the corrected eye and the unoperated astigmatic eye) then each eye has a lot of issues. I notice the "double vision effect in my astigmatic eye, its bluriness, dimness etc, and the IOL eye has soft focus, halos, starbursts, rings and is also dim, but ignoring that and looking with both eyes my vision is almost faultless until 3ft from my face, and good enough to use my phone to write this 1.5ft from my face.

The term "greater than the sum of its parts" is a good description, but actually my vision is brighter, sharper, clearer and more dynamic with the 2 eyes together. It's remarkable.

As Ive said before, it could be that it's working so well as my unoperated eye balances the operated one, but I think its to do with the amount of light and depth of 3D vision your brain is given to process.

• Posted

can you see your smartphone in dim light and in outdoor ? ( read text easly )

can you see the TV at night in dark room ?

can you work on your PC ?

• Posted

Sorry to intercept but for me, yes to all above. but thats because all those devices have their own light source. I work with PC screens all day, use tablets and phone regularly, ride motorbike every day and night. and ive been like this since 3-4 weeks post op.

Reading a book in dim light is harder, but still achievable. at that point i would prefer to use reading glasses though for the magnification and focus.

• Posted

hi yes i can see my phone in all lights really well. i work with computers and sometimes find it takes a little while for the eyes to adjust when i am at work because of the over head lighting source, the other thing that affects this is if my eyes are dry which is usually when i have not had enough sleep. As for tv in a dark room, the vision is crystal clear- better than with my contact lenses or glasses. As i said earlier, issue is halos, glare, starbursts caused by certain light sources at night. Even when watching a scene on tv that has a lot of white light, there is a glow that is noticeable but hopefully the brain will block out in due course...

Now, reading small print in dim light- its been 10 weeks since my surgery and still cant do it. J &J Synergy claims are that small print can be read in dim light after testing these lenses out on study groups- all i can say is i am not there yet..

• Posted

thank you so much for sharing your experience there alot of question that make me fear the surgery of multifocal i want to put the synergy iol i read a lot of positive things about it

what are the positive and negative do you see ?

do you regret the cataract surgery ? you see better after the surgery ?

when you drive in the morning? is it very worse in night at the point where you cant see anything ?

in the mall at night the light bother you with glare and flair ?

if you can do the surgery again do you do it ?

what do you give some advice about this surgery and iol with some who want to do it?

• Posted

do you regret the cataract surgery ?

No (I had right eye operation with Toric Symfony IOL on 6th Jan, my left eye is still unoperated with astigmatism and start of a cataract).

you see better after the surgery ?

MUCH!!!! before surgery I couldnt drive far during day and at night it was impossible. Walking in the woods with leaves on the ground looked so messed up I couldnt tell what i was walking on.

when you drive in the morning?

Now driving during day and night is fine, even with sun in my eyes

is it very worse in night at the point where you cant see anything ?

I see starbursts halos and concentric rings at night, but they don't interfere with my driving/riding.

in the mall at night the light bother you with glare and flair ?

no

if you can do the surgery again do you do it ?

yes

what do you give some advice about this surgery and iol with some who want to do it?

You have to take advice from your surgeon. They will know your circumstances better than we can.

But remember this, a cataract stops you from seeing, and has a huge impact on quality of life. An IOL operation improves life so much, but you have to accept there will always be some compromise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.