Tecnis Synergy

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hello all - if anyone has any experience using the Tecnis Synergy IOLs, please share your views. Thanks!

7 likes, 262 replies

262 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

both myself and husband had lense replacement 1 week ago. was expecting to be so much better now but we are not. near sight is good but with misting round edges and can swear i see edge of lenses. light is a big problem and have headaches daily. longer distance is so poor there is no clarification and very hazy. Feel im constantly straining my eyes. i can now see a lot of my problems are shared. i cant drive at night due to all the haloing. To be honest i have found this quite harrowing and for the money we have paid we are just told it takes time. try telling my boss this when im sitting with sunglasses on at work. if i had known recovery was going to be like this I dont think i would have had it done. i just hope it gets better soon.

• Posted

@lynne94807 How do you and your husband feeling now?

I am two months after right eye surgery and one month after left one and i feel huge regret i did it.

Did things get better for you?

• Posted

hi,

unfortunately due to lockdown we have not had any further check ups. near sight is good but long vision is poor. still have eyes watering and headaches depending on the light. halos and starburst still a problem. we both regret getting it done and will be making a complaint when we can eventually get in touch with optical express.

• Posted

sorry u r dealing with this. did u have a cataract or did u do this to get rid of glasses?

• Posted

Sorry Lynne948 that you got talked into clear lens exchange to improve eyesight. this should only be a solution for cataracts. Just too many compromises to make and no perfect lenses put there. There is no reversal but hopefully when you are able to go for check in with either surgeon optometrist they can prescribe glasses or contacts to improve your vision.

• Posted

lynne948 what type of lenses did you both have ?

• Posted

hi lynne94807 i am sorry to hear that you and your husband are not having a great experience after the surgery.i think still early days. you will see my journey through this discussion. i am now nearly 3 months post surgery and still get hazy vision in some lights. i too had to wear sunglasses at work because found the glare of the computer screen impossible. the surgeon said i could return to work on monday morning after the op on friday. i struggled with seeing paperwork, the computer screen and left early most days as could not drive in the dark, still can't. the halos, starbursts etc that i was told"some" experience have not got any better for me. all the side effects are very played down when you are seeking information from professionals and who knows, maybe they will prove to be right. i have floaters in my right eye, can see very light hazy flashings of the lenses( like a doughnut shape) in certain lights and on top of the normal concentric circles, halos, starbursts, i also see a streak of light when looking at direct light source. my left eye seems to be settling better. i agonised for months before the surgery as i could not find any information on synergy except for the marketing material telling us how great these new game changer lenses were. i tried to get information on any studies done directly from J & J. I was referred to several contacts, all very polite responses but could not give me any data that could put my mind at rest. it felt like a very closely guarded secret that only a small circle of people were privy to.

All we can pray for is that as time goes by, things can only get better.

I wish you both well with your journey

• Posted

Hi all,,,, I was wondering where you had your surgery. I'm in Florida in the US and its not approved here yet. I was considering getting the Alcon panoptix. I've heard mostly great reviews of it and wonder how differ the two are.

• Posted

I had the Alcon Panoptix put in Oct of 2019. I am very happy with the results. Great far, intermediate, and near. I rarely ever need reading glasses. Only draw back is halos at night, which are manageable. Not a bad trade-off for seamless range of vision.

• Posted

I had my surgery in Florida with Synergy and my far vision is still bad after 9 months. I am looking into Alcon PanOptix to replace them. I've hear that Synergy can have up to 5% failure rate and PanOptix less than 1%. I would go with PanOptix.

• Posted

Richard17082- i had my surgery in the UK

• Posted

Hi Nivo14 - I started this thread last fall, as I am considering Tecnis Synergy lens for my cataract surgery. I want to thank you for all of your detailed feedback on your experience, as this so helpful for those of us deciding between the Synergy lenses vs mini-monovision or trifocals. If you could possibly provide any updates in the coming weeks, that would be really helpful - you must be about 5-6 months out by now. In particular, any update on the issues you cited previously - 1) are you now able to drive at night? 2) how well can you see up close (30cm or less)? 3) computer screen distance (80-90cm) - is your vision sharp and has the glare gone away? Many thanks!

• Edited

Hi el2020

i am now in month 5 post surgery. The vision is settling. My last check up was a few months ago and it was established that i would have to have YAG surgery in one eye.. The reason for this is that i have a streak of light in my vision when looking directly at a light source- there is also a slight reflection of the lenses when in dim light and there a light source on either side of the eye- its hard to explain but almost like a ghosting image of the lenses. I was told that the YAG op should resolve this. Further down the line, i will also need to have laser treatment as my distance vision is not as sharp as it was initially although i would need to check that it doesn't impact my near vision.

Specifically to answer your questions

1. I have not yet driven at night when it has been dark. I have been a passenger and the halos/starbursts have put me off. Since Covid-19, I haven't been out much in the dark but just looking at the street lamps and other lighting on my street, i don't feel my eyes have adjusted as yet 2.Close up vision has been good when looking at phone/ipad, also book, newspaper as long as in good bright light. I sometimes struggle in the supermarket if lighting not great.For make up, still need a magnifying mirror. In dim light, it has been a struggle to read (unless digital device that is lit up anyway) and even to see a digital display that is not lit up.(such as a house phone)Definately cannot see my face close up as before but then i was short sighted before so had above average near vision then.3.Computer screen, no problems at all any more, can work in any light but thats probably because its a lit up screen. No glare.

Hope above helps! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi you may want to ask questions about why they are suggesting a yag for cleaning up light streaks. I may be wrong but thought that treatment was generally for pco (Posterior capsular opacification) This occurs when a cloudy layer of scar tissue forms behind your lens implant. This may cause you to have blurry or hazy vision, or to see a lot of glare from lights. If yoir light streaks are caused by pco I can see why yag recommended. Once yag is performed it makes lens exchange next to impossible.

• Edited

light streak can be caused by fold in the capsule.

• Posted

thanks for the update. a bit disappointed that you need a magnification mirror for the close up.

your distance might be slight astigmatism induced by the surgery.

the lens ghosting reflection is probably positive dysphotopsia from indirect light source or reflection in dim light.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.